Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Houston Planning Commission Approves Clinic Project Next to Midtown Park 'SuperBlock'

The Houston Planning Commission allowed a two-story medical clinic project that is located less than a block from the Midtown Park development.

Fox Architecture, a small Austin-based firm that specializes in medical facilities, is designing the Houston Area Community Services at Fannin, a two-story structure of approximately 12,800 square feet.

The project appeared before the Planning Commission Feb. 2 for variances to the building line. Allowances were given to reduce the building line to 8 feet-7 inches on Fannin Street and 5 feet-10 inches on Anita Avenue, and to permit canopies to encroach 15 feet-11 inches into the 25-foot building line on Fannin and 4 feet on Anita.

This project site is currently a surface parking lot at the corner of Fannin and Anita and will encompass more than a quarter of the block that is also bounded by Taum Street and Main Street.

Across Main Street from the future HACS clinic site, Camden Property Trust and the Midtown Redevelopment Authority have been construction Midtown Park, also referred to as the SuperBlock. This 6-acre site is bounded by McGowen Street, Travis Street, Anita Street, and Main Street; Main has a light rail line and a Metro station at the northeast end of Midtown Park.

While considering the clinic site plans earlier this month, the commission was told by city staff the design would provide greater pedestrian access and encourage mixed-use redevelopment. The building line variances would allow the facility to provide "an increased amount of medical service to residents by enabling the building to have the necessary space needed to accommodate a high volume of patients with a preeminence on decreased waiting times and avoidance of overcrowding, as well as enable the facility to logically accommodate parking," the staff report said.

"Because the developer is a non-profit organization that servcices traditionally negatively susceptible populations ... it is their priority to provide a safe and accessible medical facility."

The HACS main campus is at 2150 W. 18th Street, and HACS has two branch clinics. The Midtown branch will be its fourth location.

thumbnail.php?file=HACSMedical_Topper_81

thumbnail.php?file=HACS_map_477116776.jp

• Like 1

If someone would count up the number of new projects/buildings that serve our homeless populations East of Main St. I think the number would be pretty high.

The cynic in me has to wonder how are they making/raising that much money that they can afford new buildings ? I know this is a sensitive subject but worthy of discussion IMO for the future of Midtown which I am directly affected by.

HACS doesn't just serve "the homeless." It serves all types of people regardless of income levels. They provide a great service. Also, HACS and Bering Omega are combining forces and merging into one organization. Lots of gays live in and around Midtown. Lots of working class people work in downtown/midtown and live East of Main in the Third Ward. Plus, this will be on the light rail meaning it will service many other communities. 

So many people whine about our lack of urbanity and then a project like this pops up and everyone freaks out. Please, these types of places are a dime a dozen in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, etc... Hell, my super expensive bowfront in Boston was ONE block from a massive housing complex (Villa Victoria). True mixed use is what a city center SHOULD be about. If you want a candy land UTOPIA you probably shouldn't have moved to Midtown. I hear Bridgelands is nice. 

• Like 9

There is a huge difference between sprinkling these across a city versus concentrating them in one single area creating an LA style skid row. A housing complex is not the same thing as a clinic like this and housing project in those cities serve a wide range of people versus the one's in midtown that for some reason seem to be filled with mentally ill, addictions, and people with terminally illnesses :) You can't argue that Cuney Homes just across 288 serves this same demographic. Mixed-use is not a synonym for mixed-income. Villa Victoria is not safe and has serious gang issues so really should not be mentioned as a model. The problem with the U.S is we have come to accept this crap when the city centre should be a Utopia to enjoy in peace like central  London, Paris, or Moscow and not overtaken by people who make one feel unsafe.

• Like 1

I DO have an issue with the aforementioned clustering of services and was just questioning if it will serve as a deterrent for growth in my hood. I encourage any of you who feel like I was picking on the homeless to go to this location where I saw a homeless person shitting on Caroline on my way home from work yesterday and see if you would want to develop something across the street .

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7435384,-95.3717346,3a,75y,263.72h,78.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFmXd6ch2Pj7Ar9ArC6PS2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is what I am afraid of in this area - maybe some of these new service/buildings can offer public restrooms.

I'll cut to the chase; no, these projects will not stunt the growth of Midtown. Why? Because LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

Guess what, Midtown in the 1970s and 1980s was a cesspool. Even into the 1990s the place was better known for the bus station, drug dealers, male hustlers, a few industrial sized night clubs, and multiple gay sex clubs/bath houses but that didn't stop the first pioneers from building there and the second wave that followed when it felt a bit safer and the next batch of institutional investors (like Post) that put the place on the map to people who would have otherwise never have known about it.

Today we're seeing parks, town houses, huge midrise apartment complexes and even plans for 3 major apartment towers. This, despite a health clinic for the poor.

HACS has multiple locations. Do you know where they are? One is on Frostwood next to Centre City (Memorial). One is in the general Heights area on 18th. The third is in Spring-Cypress. Bering Omega is on Hawthorne Street in the heart of the Montrose. These are legitimate service providers. They've been a part of the community for a long time and have a great record. 

• Like 8

@KinkaidAlum I will back down on HACS and I really didn't mean to single it out. I do agree it's all about the location location location. To me it seems every page on this post is a new outreach, medical or service building a new headquarters. I'm officially hoping off my soap box. I believe in both sides of Midtown - here's to praying for our Aussie getting financed and Central Market taking over the WF on Elgin and Smith if WF did pull out.

Ignoring market situations and pretending demand will fix them creates big messes like the 4th ward and south midtown where people build houses in fortress like clusters instead of being open and welcoming. The way they are building now will be extremely hard to fix in the future not facing anything and with small cracked sidewalks and little foliage. Unsafe cities with growing demand and population lead to the urban structures that your see you in central Sao Paulo or Guatemala City which is not exactly what I think people would want for Midtown. There is a serious  public health crisis in the area and these little centers are not the solution, they are more like insurance lope hole scams. [ work in healthcare here:) ]. The city needs to help these people and get them off the streets in a more serous manner. 

3 hours ago, iah77 said:

Ignoring market situations and pretending demand will fix them creates big messes like the 4th ward and south midtown where people build houses in fortress like clusters instead of being open and welcoming. The way they are building now will be extremely hard to fix in the future not facing anything and with small cracked sidewalks and little foliage. Unsafe cities with growing demand and population lead to the urban structures that your see you in central Sao Paulo or Guatemala City which is not exactly what I think people would want for Midtown. There is a serious  public health crisis in the area and these little centers are not the solution, they are more like insurance lope hole scams. [ work in healthcare here:) ]. The city needs to help these people and get them off the streets in a more serous manner. 

I have absolutely no idea what this paragraph says.  How are the various things you write about related?

• Like 2

On 2/13/2017 at 5:05 PM, corbs315 said:

Had too much at Noveau Antique? You're in luck!

Seriously I don't understand how the east side of Midtown keeps getting this stuff.

This is actually a good development for the neighborhood. The reason the east side get's "this stuff" is because the majority of that side of the neighborhood is families. Now within that 3 to 4 block radius you have a dentist, a nice park, etc. IMO a development like this is better for the quality of life. In much the same way the new Crime Stoppers building serves a similar purpose. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 9:32 AM, terra002 said:

Not sure, im assuming they're taking core samples. I drive past there every day as well. It would be a great location for a cafe. I feel that area has so much residential and is pretty under served. I dont know of any coffee/sandwich shops within walking distance of Baldwin park. 

This is on the plat report for next week's meeting - more townhouses :|

"Colina Court on Elgin"

http://mycity.houstontx.gov/plattrackerreports/RptSpecialSortDraftAgendaItems.aspx

3 hours ago, corbs315 said:

more townhouses :|

more townhouses = more people 

more people = more demand for retail

more demand for retail = greater chance of cool retail center popping up

all this -> more demand for housing, forcing midrises

I wonder how long it will be before a developer buys a block of 36 town houses and builds a condo building or apartment building.  It'll be years, but how many years?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cspwal said:

more townhouses = more people 

more people = more demand for retail

more demand for retail = greater chance of cool retail center popping up

all this -> more demand for housing, forcing midrises

I wonder how long it will be before a developer buys a block of 36 town houses and builds a condo building or apartment building.  It'll be years, but how many years?

Ha who knows. I'm just impatient :)

17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Proposed development at Caroline and McGowen dubbed "Midtown Common"

SubdivisionPlatPDF_MidtownCommon.pdf

I really thought they were going to wait to try to assemble the whole block, but I'm glad this is moving forward.  This area needs a shot in the arm, which hopefully this development and ATMA across the street will provide.  Fingers crossed for GFR!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, terra002 said:

I noticed that  Mama's Grocery in the 4th ward has been sold!  Also, the next lot over is for sale. This should really clean up Robin street, between Bailey and wilson. 

According to HCAD, Fourth Ward Redevelopment Authority bought the old grocery store at 1409 Bailey.  Im very curious what the motive is here. I really hoped it was a private buyer. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Body shop at 2815 San Jacinto listed on today's daily demo report. I don't know if there's something planned to take it's place.

I saw them taking down the back part between the auto shop and larger building on Friday. There were also guys repaying the soffit and roof of the space next to the dance studio on the corner. Seems promising.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...