Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there's a non-profit called ESCAPE that bought the boarded-up building at 2410 Hamilton.  Looks like they have a lot of after-hours classes and events so hopefully this will be good for the area.  I just wish they would freshen up the exterior.

http://www.learntoparent.org/index.php?page=escape-s-new-home

• Like 1

http://www.hopsandbarley.com/

Looks like they missed their opening...

funny, not funny, but they should change the countdown clock to a count up clock.

must be their first time building a space, it's easy to be overly optimistic. We opened our coffee shop nearly 6 months after we had expected to. Next time we do a thing, we will have more realistic expectations.

funny, not funny, but they should change the countdown clock to a count up clock.

must be their first time building a space, it's easy to be overly optimistic. We opened our coffee shop nearly 6 months after we had expected to. Next time we do a thing, we will have more realistic expectations.

It was worth it.  Yours is hands down the best place for coffee on campus or to hang out and get some work done.  Hard to find a seat sometimes, though.

A cigar lounge in under construction at Main Square, in the center where Vietnamese restaurant Saigon House is located. It's called The Cigar Loft at 3109 Main Street. Here are some picture from Instagram:

11910102_1013203808723874_1136141206_n.j

More updates on their Instagram page: @the_cigarloft

Floor plans:

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/01CED948-508F-4ECF-A0D0-553975C8F2ED.pdf

are those chairs made from packing foam?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize there were so many Fuzzy's locations. I've eaten there in Longview where my wife is from and also seen it in Nacogdoches and Tyler, just thought it was a smaller chain from east Texas. Its no Torchy's but its a welcome addition. Hopefully it lasts in that spot, and is open late.

So, I feel like I've heard about a number of new bars and restos coming to Midtown, but clearly Mrs. Joke and I are in a rut because I think the last new place we've tried in the last couple years is Oporto. 

What are your recommendations for Midtown spots that have opened up in the last, say 2 or so years?

PS - We liked Oporto. Need to try it again some time.

Definitely check out Axelrad, as it is AMAZING (and co-owned by several HAIFers)!  It's also within walking distance of the Mid-Main rail stop.

I'll second this.  This is my new go to place if I want to grab a beer.  I like the chiller vibe compared to the typical Midtown places and It's also walking distance from my place.