Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Hilarious. A douchebag who can't park his Escalade. An Asian couple taking selfies. A Russian mail-order bride on a sportscar. A blonde's ass in a stairwell. A lesbian party on the first floor. Someone studying on a laptop. Oh, and a terrible ugly building.

• Like 2

Just curious, but what do you like about it?

I'll start with what I hate about it. 

1) It's gated. I live just down the street and I hate the growing number of gated properties in the museum district.

2) The garage level is atrocious.

3) Is that an exterior stairwell? 

4) Go look at some existing Surge Homes projects around town. IMO, they are butt ugly. Leads me to believe these will look just as cheap.

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 1

1. What do you have  against gates? Its an extra level of security that makes people feel more comfortable. 

2. Its a garage level... its functional

3. Yes...and?

4. Very subjective, obviously the people that bought them, like their appearance.

I think these look great, I would like to see more places like this in midtown.  

1. What do you have  against gates? Its an extra level of security that makes people feel more comfortable. 

2. Its a garage level... its functional

3. Yes...and?

4. Very subjective, obviously the people that bought them, like their appearance.

I think these look great, I would like to see more places like this in midtown.  

Easy solution is to make that space functional. Gates just make the entire streetscape worthless. Thats why GFR is great. Businesses have real use for the ground floor as well as building amenities. There is no reason for residential to be on the ground floor.

Gates give people a false sense of security. Criminals can easily climb/hop over them and then they are out of sight. They do not actually make things safer. The best way to keep a neighborhood safe is to encourage street/sidewalk life and interaction between neighbors. 

Also, this is an architectural forum. I'd hope the average poster here would care more than just having a garage level being functional. That's pretty pathetic if that's all that matters. 

As for exterior stairwells, even the garden-style apartments have moved away from those or try and hide them better. I have a very hard time believing "crowdsourcing" told them that people like them or find the aesthetically pleasing. 

Edited by KinkaidAlum
  • Like 2

Hilarious. A douchebag who can't park his Escalade. An Asian couple taking selfies. A Russian mail-order bride on a sportscar. A blonde's ass in a stairwell. A lesbian party on the first floor. Someone studying on a laptop. Oh, and a terrible ugly building.

The most egregious issue is the F150. Not only can the owner not park in a single space, but that he/she has the most hideous color possible. On second thought, I'm more angry at the state of Texas. It's obvious that the owner is legally blind, horrendous color choice for a truck and issues parking.

Anyway, the other issue is that the plants in each balcony appear to all be the same, is the restrictive covenant going to be so overbearing that they only allow you to put the same plants on the balcony?

I always do image for GFR that in some of these places that the owners can easily convert the first floor into retail. You know, get rid of the 4000 sf workout facility, the pool table no one ever uses, the movie room, and whatever other amenities these places lure customers into that they use once and never again. Replace those with a coffee shop, and small restaurant and a specialty wine bar.

For this place, it should be even easier. When the time comes that it is more profitable for GFR, they'll easy be able to lease the parking places out as stalls, it will be kind of like a mini traders village. It could be so much more awesome though, owners could buy the bicycle that was just stolen from them last week when someone broke through the gate and snapped the lock to steal it. And thus the circle of life will be complete.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do yourselves a favor and grab some late night food at Rico's in the midtown park. Seriously impressed last night, and open till 3am should do good business.

I wasn't impressed by the look of the menu when I walked by. Mainly burgers and dogs... I guess I was hoping one something more unique. I was interested in trying their breakfast tacos given they are affiliated with Cyclone Anaya's. Will give dinner a shot though.

I wasn't impressed by the look of the menu when I walked by. Mainly burgers and dogs... I guess I was hoping one something more unique. I was interested in trying their breakfast tacos given they are affiliated with Cyclone Anaya's. Will give dinner a shot though.

Could there be a more quintessentially HAIF restaurant review?  ;-)

• Like 1

Ok, now for a real review of Rico's since i actually ate there. Went Saturday morning around 9, and took our time there. For the hour or so I was there, most of the tables where full and several people came and went. Mostly young people (20's), several with dogs just hanging out having breakfast. There was a group of 4 guys that got beers with their food.

Breakfast tacos were all solid. The potatoes i think were just their fries but cut up and cooked a little longer, it worked really well. Chorizo and bacon were good too. A little pricey for the size (i ate 3) but I guess for the location, you're paying a little for convenience assuming you are just walking there. Though I can walk to La Mexicana about the same distance away which I prefer (killer carnitas).

I assume when I try the burger it will be after 2am, so it will most likely have a very favorable and biased review.

I went Saturday evening after checking out the BBP grand opening. I hadn't eaten since lunch, so I was somewhat ravenous. Maybe because I was so hungry, I was expecting just a bit more, but the burger patty, which is kind of an important thing, I felt was undersized. Flavor was good, it was juicy, so that was good, I got the bacon burger, and the bacon was bacon, so that was good. The fries were just a little on the crunchy side, which I like, so that was actually better than just good.

Overall, it was an ok burger, everything was good, a little above actually, but not outstanding, and the patty was small, so yeah, just ok. I won't seek them out when there are better burgers very nearby, but I also won't vote against them if my friends want to go there. They will do well just based on their location and serving beer, especially in the great outdoors months.

That they are doing the local thing gives them points in my book as well.

• 3 weeks later...