Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Is that movable? It looked like a permanent building, not an actual dinning car...

This is what I said in another thread...

Deco Diner... did it even open? It was close to opening... I think they should have made it bigger - like double sized... they had the space. I don't think with the space inside they had that they could have made enough money to cover their building and rent. Could make for a cute boutique shop though you'd have to tear out the booths or something.

• 3 months later...

What's the latest with this space? I drove by today and the For Sale sign is still up, but the landscaping looks fairly unkempt. Given what's been posted on this board re: the history, it sounds like they've got a good chunk of capital invested in this structure and are being picky with offers. Anybody have any news? I'd love to open it myself; reminds me of a fantastic diner I visited in Westfield, NJ with the wonderful name of Excellent Diner.

"Late-night orders"? Does that mean it'll be open 24 hours? :)

Wow, 4 additional locations in Midtown & downtown? That's kind of a lot.

About the parking issue, I thought the city had planning ordinances that required a certain number of parking spaces to be available on site.  How did they get around that?

If Barnaby can have three locations within 1.5 miles of one another I am not sure these guys can't. I ate at the Montrose Diner a few weeks ago and had a so so experience. The food was pretty good (The French Toast was great), but still left a little to be desired. The service was so so and our waiter was annoying. I was with my Fiance and he had to put on the over the top gay attitude. I know this a very gay friendly restuarant, but they can tone it down a bit.

But I digress. I am excited for this diner to open. Hell I would be happy with a Waffle House in Midtown. Seriously. I know it is ugly, but I love the atmosphere and risk factor involved with that place. Speaking of fast food Midtown / Montrose needs... We need a Chick-Fil-A.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if I'm the only one in this forum to have eaten at this diner. In the mid-40's... on Sundays..we would sometimes walk several blocks down Main from the First Baptist Church (on Lamar between Main and Fannin) for lunch. Other times, we would drive out South Main to Christie's, where I would always have my favorite...a dozen jumbo fried shrimp for $.75. Thanks for the memories! I was only a kid then, but I still remember it very well. Where did you get that picture? When did Simpson's leave this Earth?

Parking in midtown is quickly disappearing with all the new clubs popping up. We crave the urban environment and this diner will have it. Accordingly it will not have a massive parking lot. You are going to have to park on the street and walk a few blocks.

I will support it as I think it is a cool concept. This part of midtown is developing fairly rapidly with Post and the Edge coming up. There will be plenty of walk up customers.

• 1 month later...

West Gray Guy: yep, i tried it out on Friday.....let's just say we should give them a few weeks before writing an offical review. The service was horrible, i didn't get my drink until AFTER the food came (which was about 30 minutes for a croisant sandwich) It came out without the fries, which the server did not even comment on until i flagged him back down and asked about them, at which time he told me they were out for the day....it was 11:30 am. The sandwich was good, and the place was packed, I think it was just extremely understaffed and inexperienced. My suggestion...give it a few weeks, or go when you have plenty of time to kill (and when you're not craving fries). Other than that, glad to see that something is finally occupying that space.

-monica

• 2 weeks later...
West Gray Guy:  yep, i tried it out on Friday.....let's just say we should give them a few weeks before writing an offical review.  The service was horrible, i didn't get my drink until AFTER the food came (which was about 30 minutes for a croisant sandwich)  It came out without the fries, which the server did not even comment on until i flagged him back down and asked about them, at which time he told me they were out for the day....it was 11:30 am.  The sandwich was good, and the place was packed, I think it was just extremely understaffed and inexperienced.  My suggestion...give it a few weeks, or go when you have plenty of time to kill (and when you're not craving fries).  Other than that, glad to see that something is finally occupying that space.

-monica

I went last week. The place isn't bad, but it isn't anything special either. They need to find some signature food to offer so they can excel. They have big burgers, but with Christian's Tailgate 2 blocks away, there is no reason to get a burger at the Htown Diner. They say they have great shakes/malts, etc. We didn't try them, but it would be worth a shot.

I got a club sandwhich and it was mediocre at best. The wife had a burger and it was good...just not close to as good ast Christian's Tailgate which is basically next door.

I'd go back to try something else on the menu. The owners/staff were very nice when I was there and we got everything in a very timely manner. However, it was barely occupied (only 3 of the 15-20 tables were occupied).

Check it out. I'd love to see what others think.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
The H-Town diner has opened...

Has anyone tried it out yet?

what about you westgrayguy? have you been to the h-town diner yet? you were the guy that has been all fired up about this place for a year or so. what do you think about the food? how is the service? are midtowners leaving their cars at home and walking over in the 98 degree heat?

i drove by twice today and there was one car in the parking lot, it did not look very busy. i still say they the location sucks and they close by the end of the year.

however, i went to christians tailgate for a burger this afternoon and that was the best hamburger i've had in a very long time. i will drive over and pay to park for that burger on a regular basis.

dream

The H-Town diner has opened...

Has anyone tried it out yet?

Ate there last Sunday afternoon. The staff is very inexperienced and a bit inattentive, but friendly. The onion rings are awesome, the BBQ burger is awesome (maybe b/c it has onion rings on it. The malts are pretty good. The fountain drinks were flat. I would go back, the service has to improve.

• 3 weeks later...

Or has anyone else noticed the night life scene the past few weeks or so has slowed down just a little bit? Don't get me wrong I just came in a little while ago from going out (Midtown) and there was a good-looking/good sized crowd out (and I had a really good time) but definitely not as packed everywhere as normal.

At first when the evacuees started to arrive my friends and I thought it may have something to do with it because some people we met when out expressed their concern with potential security issues etc. Then we thought maybe with the jump in gasoline prices people were staying home or closer to home to conserve fuel. Far fetched maybe since lots of places in Midtown especially are easily accessible on foot. But, just a thought.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing and rambling because I'm still kinda tipsy....... any thoughts?

People, in general, go out more in the summer. I know I do. Something about that feeling of being "out of school" or something. I love going out in the summer.

Also, college students that are home for the summer go out every night of the week. They are all back at school now.