Can one live car-free in Houston?

editor

I ride metro to work and could live car free if I wanted to. Anyone can live car free in Houston. Unless you're dirt poor why would you do that? I could live beer free too but I'm not doing that. You can get a car for just a few hundred dollars a month. If that's too much then maybe you've got some other problems you need to sort out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride metro to work and could live car free if I wanted to. Anyone can live car free in Houston. Unless you're dirt poor why would you do that? I could live beer free too but I'm not doing that. You can get a car for just a few hundred dollars a month. If that's too much then maybe you've got some other problems you need to sort out.

I can afford a car, and choose not to buy one because I think it is largely a waste of money. There are certain inconveniences, sure.

I can afford a car, and choose not to buy one because I think it is largely a waste of money. There are certain inconveniences, sure.

I would imagine zipcar would help with that, if they ever bring it to Houston.

Yes, that would be excellent for the rare time I need one.

I'm guessing you don't have a kid who plays golf, select baseball, is in Scouts, and likes to fish. There's no way we could get by without a car.

I'm guessing you don't have a kid who plays golf, select baseball, is in Scouts, and likes to fish. There's no way we could get by without a car.

It's not a lifestyle that can work for everyone, but I'm not "dirt poor" as the poster was saying either.

To add to what I was saying, from midtown you could also take the 88 to hobby and 102 to IAH. Pretty much the best location in Houston as far as access to any form of transportation, car, bus, or rail.

Is there no car sharing service in houston yet? Even san antonio and austin have one (or more).

"No way we could get by" is an exaggeration. People survive on a lot less.

"No way we could get by" is an exaggeration. People survive on a lot less.

Right, I want to merely survive and do no activities that my son enjoys. Who knows, he might be happy playing stickball, barefoot in the filthy street, but I doubt it. Some people might be fine without a car - that's their choice. I'll stick with my SUV that has room for sports equipment, camping gear, fishing and hunting gear,, can tow a boat, etc.

Right, I want to merely survive and do no activities that my son enjoys. Who knows, he might be happy playing stickball, barefoot in the filthy street, but I doubt it. Some people might be fine without a car - that's their choice. I'll stick with my SUV that has room for sports equipment, camping gear, fishing and hunting gear,, can tow a boat, etc.

Don't take it seriously, Ross. That poster claims to have two cars himself. He probably couldn't get by without a car either.

Don't take it seriously, Ross. That poster claims to have two cars himself. He probably couldn't get by without a car either.

Speak for yourself. I come from a third world country and survived with almost nothing. Don't put words in my mouth.

Well, that's your online persona, anyway.

No it's real life. I am not a liar.

Speak for yourself. I come from a third world country and survived with almost nothing. Don't put words in my mouth.

wow-nerd-south-park-580.jpg

That's pretty funny. That might be me in 20 years but not yet.

I've lived in third world countries. Fortunately, I never had to use what passes for public transport in those places

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at an impasse on this.  I work at UH, and have lived in various locations around Houston (Meyerland, Katy, Northshore, Eastwood).  Finally now that I'm in Montrose, it feels quite comfortable for many days to go without my car.  I'm able to get most places, including restaurants and bars for social events, using my bike and Metro.  The car I have is getting pretty high in mileage, but I really don't want to buy another one any time soon.  For longer trips, I've just resigned myself to renting one. 

The big problem for me is gigs.  Along with my office job, I'm also a musician.  That's most of the time when I have to use my car.  You can't ride a bicycle to a concert in a tuxedo, and sometimes the venues are in The Woodlands or Sugar Land, so it's far too expensive to take a cab. 

Been thinking lately about getting a Vespa. 

• 10 months later...

I would imagine zipcar would help with that, if they ever bring it to Houston.

First post - considering a move to the area, and was wondering if anyone knew if ZipCar was available in Houston yet? 

Apologies if I missed it. 

Hey thanks Larry.. 

I used ZipCar for a while when I was in Atlanta and I absolutely loved it. For anyone that's considering trying them out, it is obviously a bit more expensive than some alternative forms pf public transportation but if you use a combination of ZipCar, bus, subway, and bike.. You can live car free and have most all of the same conveniences. 

Hope that helps someone considering making the jump! 

Archived