Can one live car-free in Houston?

editor

One of my resolutions for 2010 is to find a new city in which to live. For the past few weeks I've been tinkering with a short list of potential locations, none of which included Houston primarily for the reason that I've already lived that and want to see something new.

But my wife recently convinced me not to leave Houston off the list of potential places to live. In terms of employment for her, Houston has a lot more opportunities than any place outside of New York or Los Angeles.

So, I guess Houston's on the list. But I haven't owned a car in six years, and I'm not all that enthusiastic about getting one. I've really enjoyed not having a car.

Thus the question -- How easy is it to live car-free in Houston? Sure, if one were to live in Midtown one could take the rail up and down Main Street. But what about living in other areas like the Galleria area? Are there grocery delivery services in Houston? Does it totally suck to try to get around on Metro in August? I'd like to hear from some people with practical experience, if possible.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston can be relatively easy to live in car-free, IF the following items do not bother you, or are paid attention...

1. Obsession with a car (obviously not a problem for you)

2. Fear of buses or those who ride them

3. You are willing to stand/walk in hot climates, and know how to escape them

4. You pay attention to transit options when choosing where to live.

The last one is likely most important, since you do not strike me as one offended by the first three. Those who complain of Houston's pedestrian unfriendliness usually did not choose to live in a pedestrian friendly area in the first place. They likely do not know what a METRO System Map is. They probably cringe at the thought of riding a bus, and imagine its riders to be thugs and other lowlife. No, THOSE people cannot survive Houston (or New York) without a car. However, by looking at the system map with an eye toward making transit easier, one can easily live without a car in this town. Ideally, you would want your residence within a block of the bus, and you would want a grocery store and Target/Walmart type store within a reasonably short distance without changing buses. As a for instance, I live one block from the 40 line, and it passes both a Kroger AND a Target. Both are one mile away. Over 90% of my needs can be covered between those 2 stores. Anything else can be delivered, or accessed by cab. I could even rent a truck at Home Depot.

If you are one that finds Houston during July and August to be hell on earth (as some do), no amount of transit knowledge and tolerance will save you. You will have to walk somewhere. Better to admit your limitations than suffer. Personally, I would not live in Chicago precisely because I'd rather put a bullet in my head than walk in subzero windchills in a suit and leather shoes. Some feel the same about Houston in August.

Will your wife be working from home as well? If not, it just entirely depends on where she'll be working.

I lived for a few months without a car in Houston--my apartment was on Fountainview. My office was at Waugh and Allen Parkway. Taking the bus from San Felipe and Fountainview to work was an hour to and hour and 15 minutes each way (compared to 15 minutes commute each way by car through Memorial Park) Granted this was on routes years ago but the exact same ones still run today. A big grocery was 2 blocks from my place, and actually I think Rice Epicurean still has delivery service for the blue hairs, at least the the River Oaks location.

I could take the bus from my current house to the same location in half that time, and would do it without much complaint if I had to, but would not be my preference. It's not the heat, it's the rain, and getting sprayed by cars running through muddy potholes. Bus stops in this city SUCK. Most don't offer cover. If she worked downtown or in the medical center, or Galleria area, renting nearby without a car would be easy enough. I would just throw down for a dependable used Corolla or something.

If you are one that finds Houston during July and August to be hell on earth (as some do), no amount of transit knowledge and tolerance will save you. You will have to walk somewhere. Better to admit your limitations than suffer. Personally, I would not live in Chicago precisely because I'd rather put a bullet in my head than walk in subzero windchills in a suit and leather shoes. Some feel the same about Houston in August.

I've always had a greater tolerance for cold than heat, which is why the thought of going out in today's -22F windchill doesn't bother me, but the thought of walking a few blocks to a Walgreen's in August in Houston I find very bothersome.

Maybe I should refine my question --

What are the BEST places in Houston to live if one doesn't have a car. I'd like to hear specifics. "Oakwood Estates" is a far more useful answer than "Midtown."

One of my resolutions for 2010 is to find a new city in which to live. For the past few weeks I've been tinkering with a short list of potential locations, none of which included Houston primarily for the reason that I've already lived that and want to see something new.

But my wife recently convinced me not to leave Houston off the list of potential places to live. In terms of employment for her, Houston has a lot more opportunities than any place outside of New York or Los Angeles.

So, I guess Houston's on the list. But I haven't owned a car in six years, and I'm not all that enthusiastic about getting one. I've really enjoyed not having a car.

Thus the question -- How easy is it to live car-free in Houston? Sure, if one were to live in Midtown one could take the rail up and down Main Street. But what about living in other areas like the Galleria area? Are there grocery delivery services in Houston? Does it totally suck to try to get around on Metro in August? I'd like to hear from some people with practical experience, if possible.

The answer largely depends on your place of employment within Houston. It's one thing if you each work in one of the major employment centers; it's another thing altogether if even one of you ends up working in some akward place (such as along 290).

Expect that your job search may be a longer one if it must be confined to a narrow geography. Also expect that you may need to move into a more convenient residence once you both have jobs and are settled in.

Red makes some good points. His neighborhood is a good one for the bus. My main beef with bussing it was trying to stay presentable. I find it difficult to keep office attire looking good when battling the elements. It sounds petty, I know. Metro wouldn't be as much a hassle if I could go to work with jeans and a backpack. As it is, I schlep too much stuff, what with work bag and gym bag.

I don't know how anyone could live without a car, at least for emergencies.

And even if you're lucky enough to live, work, and have a grocery store within close proximity of good transit options.. there is more to living besides that.

You're not going to walk a 1/4 mile, or wait 15 mins at a bus stop, or 20 mins for a cab if you have a dr's emergency.

Family in the suburbs - Friend's wedding in a part of town you don't know - Concert in the woodlands - Taking visiting friends sightseeing - Company Christmas party in Kemah - Friend's funeral.

Get a cheap car. You don't have the overabundance of cabs here like you do in Chicago or NY for all of life's other necessary trips.

I don't know how anyone could live without a car, at least for emergencies.

And even if you're lucky enough to live, work, and have a grocery store within close proximity of good transit options.. there is more to living besides that.

You're not going to walk a 1/4 mile, or wait 15 mins at a bus stop, or 20 mins for a cab if you have a dr's emergency.

Family in the suburbs - Friend's wedding in a part of town you don't know - Concert in the woodlands - Taking visiting friends sightseeing - Company Christmas party in Kemah - Friend's funeral.

Get a cheap car. You don't have the overabundance of cabs here like you do in Chicago or NY for all of life's other necessary trips.

Let's see...

Couldn't get a doctor's appointment that quick, so the bus or cab could be timed to the appointment. A bigger emergency would bring an ambulance.

Editor doesn't have family in the burbs, but I could take the bus to within 2 miles of my parents and bike the rest.

Haven't been to a wedding in 5 years. It was next to Rice...on the bus route. Could get a ride with another guest to reception downtown.

Haven't been to a concert in the Woodlands in 7 years. Ride with friends, or maybe a towncar. Make a party of it.

Visiting friends? We'll use their car.

Company party in Kemah? Don't know why it would be there, but I'd ride with a co-worker.

Friend's funeral? I'll ride with a friend who is still alive.

That wasn't so tough. :)

Houston's bus stops dont have timetables or route maps, and the route names are not really helpful when determining the routes themselves. So you really have to plan your trip out ahead of time.

As far as looking for places to live, I suggest viewing the "walkability index." On the front page of the Chron if you click on the real estate listing pictures to the right, it will match up specific houses that are for sale with a walkability map -- including nearby bus stops. I would then visit the specific area to see the actual quality of the walkability (such as what types of roads you'd be expected to cross, if it's small shops v. a giant superstore with a huge parking lot in front, etc.).

Let's see...

Couldn't get a doctor's appointment that quick, so the bus or cab could be timed to the appointment. A bigger emergency would bring an ambulance.

Editor doesn't have family in the burbs, but I could take the bus to within 2 miles of my parents and bike the rest.

Haven't been to a wedding in 5 years. It was next to Rice...on the bus route. Could get a ride with another guest to reception downtown.

Haven't been to a concert in the Woodlands in 7 years. Ride with friends, or maybe a towncar. Make a party of it.

Company party in Kemah? Don't know why it would be there, but I'd ride with a co-worker.

You also forgot to mention, that in a pinch, he could always rent a car for a day or so.

I live car free in Houston, using bus, bike and train for moving about. I live downtown and work in the Med Center.

Houston's bus stops dont have timetables or route maps, and the route names are not really helpful when determining the routes themselves. So you really have to plan your trip out ahead of time.

713-635-4000, select the option to plan a trip and an operator will come on the line for you.

Alternatively, if you have Google Maps on your phone (or laptop) you can map a route and choose Transit option to get a bus and train route.

Let's see...

Blessed are they that live in such a small world.

You also forgot to mention, that in a pinch, he could always rent a car for a day or so.

Yes, well when your 10 yr old break his arm jumping on the bed... you go call up enterprise and wait an hour, Editor can call a cab and wait 30 mins, Red can go waste $1000 and 15 -20 mins on an ambulance, Lucky Redline resident can walk his crying son 1/4 mile and still wait 10 minutes for the train.... Me, I'll thank my lucky stars I own a car.

Its true, there's almost no reason to visit the suburbs unless you have family there. My Ma lived in Memorial and I have friends in Spring and I've used the bus/bike combo to visit both.

Anyway, I saw editor's question more as how well someone can live car-free in Houston as compared to other cities. Most of your criticisms could be leveled on any major city, including NYC. Oh dear, having to wait ten minutes for a train? Perish the thought.

Its true, there's almost no reason to visit the suburbs unless you have family there. My Ma lived in Memorial and I have friends in Spring and I've used the bus/bike combo to visit both.

Anyway, I saw editor's question more as how well someone can live car-free in Houston as compared to other cities. Most of your criticisms could be leveled on any major city, including NYC. Oh dear, having to wait ten minutes for a train? Perish the thought.

Yes.. when you have a screaming 10 yr old with a broken bone.. Perish the thought of walking to and waiting for a train, damn right.

I'm sure if Editor and his wife were home one night and one of them fell and broke a bone, they would take the elevator down to the taxi stand right outside their building and be on their way to the nearest hospital. I'm sure the thought of using mass transit in such a situation would not be considered. But Houston doesnt have the plethora of waiting taxis luxury.

713-635-4000, select the option to plan a trip and an operator will come on the line for you.

Alternatively, if you have Google Maps on your phone (or laptop) you can map a route and choose Transit option to get a bus and train route.

Yes, this is true. However I prefer having timetables and route maps at the stops. It is a lot easier. Also, being able to get places without having to plan it out ahead of time makes it a lot easier to just explore the city. For me, that is/was the real advantage of having access to auto transit.

Yes, well when your 10 yr old break his arm jumping on the bed... you go call up enterprise and wait an hour, Editor can call a cab and wait 30 mins, Red can go waste $1000 and 15 -20 mins on an ambulance, Lucky Redline resident can walk his crying son 1/4 mile and still wait 10 minutes for the train.... Me, I'll thank my lucky stars I own a car.

Didn't know Red or editor had a 10 yr old.

As far as renting a car, I'm refering to extended trips or whem the schedules are overly packed.

Yes.. when you have a screaming 10 yr old with a broken bone.. Perish the thought of walking to and waiting for a train, damn right.

I'm sure if Editor and his wife were home one night and one of them fell and broke a bone, they would take the elevator down to the taxi stand right outside their building and be on their way to the nearest hospital. I'm sure the thought of using mass transit in such a situation would not be considered. But Houston doesnt have the plethora of waiting taxis luxury.

My suspicion is that the editor and the mrs. would have the same emergency plan that they have in place currently, since they do not have a car in Chicago, either.

I must commend you you on proving that having a car is more convenient that living without one. However, that did not appear to be the question the editor was asking. While I am quite convinced that YOU could not survive without a car in Houston (or frankly, anywhere else), there are numerous places within Houston's inner loop that would support car-free living. Those of us who do not have clumsy children, and who do not attend weddings and funerals every week could do just fine. But, as you so clearly point out, it is NOT for everyone. It is a lifestyle that one must WANT to live, as the editor stated in his opening post. If you are looking to talk yourself out of it, that is really not very hard to do.

Red... He asked how easy it is to live car-free in Houston... He is seeking opinions from all... Not just those who live inner loop, don't associate and with outer loopers or outer loop activites, and those that have the health insurance to call an ambulance for any ol thing.

My suspicion is that his emergency plans will have to change. Chicago and NYC offer abundant taxis and no wait, just as convenient as owning your own car. Houston does not.

Also, I'm guessing that for all your talk, Red, there's a pretty great chance you own a car as well.

Hey Ricco... Don't Turn into Red Jr by coming up with every loophole and exception. Come up with your own BS opinion put-down tactic. I don't give a crap if Editor doesnt have a kid. The topic is "Can ONE live car-free in Houston" ...... Not "Can I editor, and only editor, live car-free in Houston".

Red.. You and Kyle and Red Jr have made your case. We get it. Editor is seeking opinions of all though.

That's nice if you Want to live the car-free lifestyle. Many do. In taxi-free Houston though, I think Wanting to live car-free really equals living Mostly car free. I commend Kyle for being able to go 100%, I believe he is a rarity though for those that can afford a car but choose not to. Editor asked for opinions of all. My advice stands. Editor may want to live car-free, but he won't have ready access to instant transportation (taxi)or transit like he does in Chicago. Get a used, reliable, cheap car and go 95% Car free. HE can take that advice or Leave it... Your opposition has been noted.

Can you go car-free? Sure. But there's no reason to apologize for the fact that Houston's big growth came about way later in the century than the big Northern cities, and the car was considered a desirable amenity by Houston city planners for most of the twentieth century. Aside from the already-mentioned emergency, security, and weather concerns, there are times when you will need to buy things that are too big to carry where delivery may not be available. I'm not even talking about furniture -- what about a week's worth of groceries, or enough for a dinner party? What about a desktop computer, or a TV, or a ladder? Good luck getting those delivered from Best Buy or Home Depot or Kroger.

I brought my week's worth of groceries home on the train yesterday from Fiesta. I am an individual, so if you have a larger household it may be more difficult, but more mouths equals more hands too, soo...

I also have a set of panniers for my bicycle. You'd be surprised how many groceries you can carry on your bike. Aside from panniers there's also handlebar baskets and bicycle trailers that can allow you to carry a massive grocery haul home from the store.

Can you go car-free? Sure. But there's no reason to apologize for the fact that Houston's big growth came about way later in the century than the big Northern cities, and the car was considered a desirable amenity by Houston city planners for most of the twentieth century. Aside from the already-mentioned emergency, security, and weather concerns, there are times when you will need to buy things that are too big to carry where delivery may not be available. I'm not even talking about furniture -- what about a week's worth of groceries, or enough for a dinner party? What about a desktop computer, or a TV, or a ladder? Good luck getting those delivered from Best Buy or Home Depot or Kroger.

Home Depot Truck Rental

Best Buy Shipping and Delivery

Enterprise Leasing Truck Options

The Toyota Yaris starts at $12,600. That's a little over $200 a month for 5 years with 0 down. It's worth it.

Toyota is offering 0% financing?

Then add insurance, gas, maintenance.

You can get a small used car for half that easily, and if you're only using the car for emergencies, buying gas once a month really is a inconsequential expense.

How does 80 a month in auto insurance compare to taxi rides, home depot truck rentals, and bus passes.

Archived