What's up with the Entertainment Industry in Texas?

citykid09

What's up with the Entertainment Industry in Texas?

I have always wondered why the 2nd largest State in both population and size, is not really big on the entertainment industry. When I say "entertainment industry," I don't necessarily mean theater arts, etc, I mean the music industry, film industry, etc. Texas has lots and lots of talent, in television music movies, etc, but the talent seems to always have to move out of State to be successful. Why can't this State retain its talent and even attract talent? The reason that I asked this today is because there is a nationally syndicated urban radio show out of Dallas called the Rickey Smiley Morning Show, well today he announced that he is moving his show to Atlanta because that is where the entertainment industry is, all the artist, award shows, media outlets, etc. Well he is telling the truth, there is a new nightly talk show being taped in Atlanta called the Mo'nique Show, there are cable networks and television, movie and music studios based in that city. Georgia is a smaller State, but has some how found a way to attract and retain its talent. So why not in Texas? Our talent leaves for California, New York, Florida, etc, because there are no options for them here.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's talent?

Uh, yeah.

The point that I am trying to make is Texas can't retain its actors, musical artist, etc because there is no infrastructure.

Just wanted to add, that some in the Houston area have tried to have some form of the industry in the city. Fox 26 studios tapes 2 courtroom shows, and the Debra Duncan show tried to go national. There is also the Astrodome studios plan and Jarvis Johnson of I'm Ready Productions is making at least 5 movies in Houston within the next 4-5years.

Uh, yeah.

The point that I am trying to make is Texas can't retain its actors, musical artist, etc because there is no infrastructure.

It's all about market,sugar: This is from Mr Crunch, who is not a HAIFer but I consult with him on occasion: He has a lot of knowledge about the local 'entertainment' market.

A common misconception is that raw landmass and population affects media

outlets. Your message seems to blur the line between states and cities.

Ironically, it is the size of broadcast TV markets that dictate terms. While

there are 210 TV markets in the U.S., I'm only bothering with the top 50.

U.S. TV markets are highly concentrated. The top ten representing 29.5% of

the country, while the top 50 represent 67%.

Yes, Texas is the second biggest state (41% the size of Alaska, 62% the

population of California). However, The best Texas can do for a single TV

market is 5th (DFW). Houston comes in 10th, with the next appearance of a

Texas market being San Antonio in 37th, followed by Austin at 48th. That's

it for Texas and the top 50.

Those Texas markets represent 5.4% of all U.S. households. To put that in

some sort of perspective, NYC is the number one market in the country with

6.5% of the U.S. market, followed by Los Angeles with 5% of the market. You

mentioned Atlanta GA. They are 8th, with 2.1%.

I'm going on about TV markets because that's were the advert dollars settle.

Another reason for the lack of presence in Texas is the film business

concentrating in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago (3rd biggest TV market

at 3%). I don't know about you, but I think I am beginning to see a

pattern...

The next bits of this are anecdotal, meaning it's me not using immediately

verifiable stats. I'm having to remember Ancient School Stuff (mr. crunch has multiple degrees and used to teach mass com and tv production at UH and used to do free-lance film and TV work here in Houston)

90% of the film biz is centered in the top 3 TV

markets, with 90% of what's left going to Dallas.

Then there's the music business. Well, what's left of it. I worked on the

wholesale and retail sides of things for a number of years. And here's where

Texas _really_ shines.

Texas has a history of, well, being Texas. Sure, Texas had exported many a

blues and country artist back in the very decentralized good ol' days.

However, for Rock 'n' Roll, Texas hadn't broke much national: Doug Sahm got

legendary, Janis Joplin went like a meteor, Steve Miller split for San

Francisco (Um, yep: SF-Oakland-San Jose is the 6th biggest market at 2.2%),

and ZZ Top became that Little 'ol Band From Texas.

In the late 70s and early 80s the Locusts of The Rock Machinery had Texas on

their minds. Specifically, Austin. Stevie Ray Vaughn got big, but that was

about it. To make a long story short, Austin told The Machine to go pound

sand. The Machine was not happy, and left sulking. All the way to Seattle...

We could scope down a little further, and move into a wandering story arc

about Houston and Third Coast Rap/Hip Hop. I'll just over simplify and say

the Geto Boys got big, DJ Screw was left for dead, and we still have to deal

with the taint of what South Park Mexican did.

Looking the rest of your post over, I see you mentioned Florida. I'll stay

away from some weird Molly Hatchet / Marilyn Manson tangent (even though I

do have an MM story involving a blue chicken) and simply end with this:

Florida has the 14th, 17th, 19th, 38th, and 47th largest markets for a

combined total of 5.5% of the U.S. Market. In other words, Florida (22nd

biggest state with the 4th biggest population) has a little bit bigger slice

of the Top 50 pie than Texas.

I think what he's saying is, you're right, Citykid--the Houston market is not all that big. It really is all about advertising dollars. The talent (and where it's based) is largely irrelevant for radio and tv.

It's all about market,sugar: This is from Mr Crunch, who is not a HAIFer but I consult with him on occasion: He has a lot of knowledge about the local 'entertainment' market.

A common misconception is that raw landmass and population affects media

outlets. Your message seems to blur the line between states and cities.

Ironically, it is the size of broadcast TV markets that dictate terms. While

there are 210 TV markets in the U.S., I'm only bothering with the top 50.

U.S. TV markets are highly concentrated. The top ten representing 29.5% of

the country, while the top 50 represent 67%.

Yes, Texas is the second biggest state (41% the size of Alaska, 62% the

population of California). However, The best Texas can do for a single TV

market is 5th (DFW). Houston comes in 10th, with the next appearance of a

Texas market being San Antonio in 37th, followed by Austin at 48th. That's

it for Texas and the top 50.

Those Texas markets represent 5.4% of all U.S. households. To put that in

some sort of perspective, NYC is the number one market in the country with

6.5% of the U.S. market, followed by Los Angeles with 5% of the market. You

mentioned Atlanta GA. They are 8th, with 2.1%.

I'm going on about TV markets because that's were the advert dollars settle.

Another reason for the lack of presence in Texas is the film business

concentrating in Los Angeles, New York, and Chicago (3rd biggest TV market

at 3%). I don't know about you, but I think I am beginning to see a

pattern...

The next bits of this are anecdotal, meaning it's me not using immediately

verifiable stats. I'm having to remember Ancient School Stuff (mr. crunch has multiple degrees and used to teach mass com and tv production at UH and used to do free-lance film and TV work here in Houston)

90% of the film biz is centered in the top 3 TV

markets, with 90% of what's left going to Dallas.

Then there's the music business. Well, what's left of it. I worked on the

wholesale and retail sides of things for a number of years. And here's where

Texas _really_ shines.

Texas has a history of, well, being Texas. Sure, Texas had exported many a

blues and country artist back in the very decentralized good ol' days.

However, for Rock 'n' Roll, Texas hadn't broke much national: Doug Sahm got

legendary, Janis Joplin went like a meteor, Steve Miller split for San

Francisco (Um, yep: SF-Oakland-San Jose is the 6th biggest market at 2.2%),

and ZZ Top became that Little 'ol Band From Texas.

In the late 70s and early 80s the Locusts of The Rock Machinery had Texas on

their minds. Specifically, Austin. Stevie Ray Vaughn got big, but that was

about it. To make a long story short, Austin told The Machine to go pound

sand. The Machine was not happy, and left sulking. All the way to Seattle...

We could scope down a little further, and move into a wandering story arc

about Houston and Third Coast Rap/Hip Hop. I'll just over simplify and say

the Geto Boys got big, DJ Screw was left for dead, and we still have to deal

with the taint of what South Park Mexican did.

Looking the rest of your post over, I see you mentioned Florida. I'll stay

away from some weird Molly Hatchet / Marilyn Manson tangent (even though I

do have an MM story involving a blue chicken) and simply end with this:

Florida has the 14th, 17th, 19th, 38th, and 47th largest markets for a

combined total of 5.5% of the U.S. Market. In other words, Florida (22nd

biggest state with the 4th biggest population) has a little bit bigger slice

of the Top 50 pie than Texas.

I think what he's saying is, you're right, Citykid--the Houston market is not all that big. It really is all about advertising dollars. The talent (and where it's based) is largely irrelevant for radio and tv.

Houston is a top 10 market, that seems pretty big to me. You did some good explaining, but it still doesn't balance out. The City of Atlanta has given incentives for much of its media empire. And much of it is home grown. CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS, The Weather Channel (which was founded by a Texan), etc. Many record labels are based there or have offices there, many celebrities live there or have 2nd homes there and its really become known as the black Hollywood. Now if your theory of market size is correct how do you explain Atlanta having all of that when Dallas doesn't?

I look at it by state, Texas is 2nd to California, yet it has a very small presents in national media.

Houston is a top 10 market, that seems pretty big to me. You did some good explaining, but it still doesn't balance out. The City of Atlanta has given incentives for much of its media empire. And much of it is home grown. CNN, HLN, Cartoon Network, TNT, TBS, The Weather Channel (which was founded by a Texan), etc. Many record labels are based there or have offices there, many celebrities live there or have 2nd homes there and its really become known as the black Hollywood. Now if your theory of market size is correct how do you explain Atlanta having all of that when Dallas doesn't?

I look at it by state, Texas is 2nd to California, yet it has a very small presents in national media.

Bottom line: media is driven by market. Numbers don't lie. If your point is that Tyler Perry didn't make his latest embarassment of a movie here, then whatever. Do you seriously want to own that sort of crap?

Bottom line: media is driven by market. Numbers don't lie. If your point is that Tyler Perry didn't make his latest embarrassment of a movie here, then whatever. Do you seriously want to own that sort of crap?

Honestly, YES! And I hope that Je'Caryous Johnson is able to do for Houston what Tyler Perry has done for Atlanta, tv shows, movies and all!

Honestly, YES! And I hope that Je'Caryous Johnson is able to do for Houston what Tyler Perry has done for Atlanta, tv shows, movies and all!

I am almost afraid to ask, but just what has Tyler Perry done for Atlanta? Your post is the first time I ever heard that he was even in Atlanta, much less doing anything for it.

That's it?

I think Coca-Cola did a bit more for the city. Hell, the Olympic bomber did more for the city.

Constructing it added jobs, had to hire actors, producers, writers, etc. He is bring millions of dollars and some of those dollars come from the Houston area when people go see his movies. By the way his signature character (Madea) is based on his Aunt who live in Houston.

Coca Cola is the most recognized brand in the world period. Sure its done more.

Constructing it added jobs, had to hire actors, producers, writers, etc. He is bring millions of dollars and some of those dollars come from the Houston area when people go see his movies. By the way his signature character (Madea) is based on his Aunt who live in Houston.

He didn't construct that building. If we're talking about the building on Continental Colony Parkway, that building used to be owned by Delta and housed some of their offices. He did have another studio, but he had to leave those facilities behind.

If you want to know why Tyler Perry has been able to do so well in Atlanta is because Atlanta is well, "different" than Houston. Houston has always been run by the "good ole' boys" and will continue to be run by them. A development like that in Houston wouldn't be looked upon kindly by the good ole' boy crew down here.

And while Tyler Perry may be a nice guy, a great rags to riches story and a philanthropist, his material isn't of high caliber. I'm hoping he can finally break out when he gets to work on the film adaptation of Ntozake Shange's "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf." That's a serious departure from what he's doing now. Hopefully he hasn't bitten off more than he can chew. If it's a success, it may garner him his first Emmy.

Why don't you open a studio here and start a trend? You can be the Tyler Perry of Houston.

He didn't construct that building. If we're talking about the building on Continental Colony Parkway, that building used to be owned by Delta and housed some of their offices. He did have another studio, but he had to leave those facilities behind.

If you want to know why Tyler Perry has been able to do so well in Atlanta is because Atlanta is well, "different" than Houston. Houston has always been run by the "good ole' boys" and will continue to be run by them. A development like that in Houston wouldn't be looked upon kindly by the good ole' boy crew down here.

And while Tyler Perry may be a nice guy, a great rags to riches story and a philanthropist, his material isn't of high caliber. I'm hoping he can finally break out when he gets to work on the film adaptation of Ntozake Shange's "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf." That's a serious departure from what he's doing now. Hopefully he hasn't bitten off more than he can chew. If it's a success, it may garner him his first Emmy.

So when you say "good ole' boys" who are they? And when you say Houston is "different" than Atlanta, what do you mean, less progressive?

So when you say "good ole' boys" who are they? And when you say Houston is "different" than Atlanta, what do you mean, less progressive?

To answer the first question, just look at BryanS's post. Entertainment does not interest them. They'll only put favor toward things that they believe will benefit them, as is the game of politics. To answer the second question, Atlanta has a different clique running things up there. I wouldn't call them more or less progressive, but they have different priorities and interests than the good ole' boy clique down here, with entertainment and tourism being the big things. It works well for them.

To answer the first question, just look at BryanS's post. Entertainment does not interest them. They'll only put favor toward things that they believe will benefit them, as is the game of politics. To answer the second question, Atlanta has a different clique running things up there. I wouldn't call them more or less progressive, but they have different priorities and interests than the good ole' boy clique down here, with entertainment and tourism being the big things. It works well for them.

So would like to see more of the entertainment industry in Houston? And LOL! I already knew who the "good o'le boys" where, I just wanted to make sure we were thinking the same thing. Why do these stuck up goons fix with all their might to make Texas as dull as possible? I think K Bailey Hutchinson is a little more progressive then the those others, she says she is for rail transportation at least. I guess things won't really change until those people are pushed out of their positions.

I am almost afraid to ask, but just what has Tyler Perry done for Atlanta? Your post is the first time I ever heard that he was even in Atlanta, much less doing anything for it.

Oh, and in addition to what I said before he has started a domino affect.

One of the new shows taped in Atlanta now is "Drop Dead Diva"

Check out this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2134781/has_atlanta_become_the_new_black_hollywood.html?cat=2

Oh, and in addition to what I said before he has started a domino affect.

One of the new shows taped in Atlanta now is "Drop Dead Diva"

Check out this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2134781/has_atlanta_become_the_new_black_hollywood.html?cat=2

Do you remember when they had The Stellar Awards here a few years back? There's a reason why they haven't come back.

Do you remember when they had The Stellar Awards here a few years back? There's a reason why they haven't come back.

I heard the Stellar Awards went good here, but other cities offered better incentives. Last year the Ozone Awards was in Houston as well as the Latin Grammys. Houston has had some good stuff come to town but it has failed to keep a momentum to make these type of events permanent fixtures. I remember in the late 1990s early 2000s, almost all of those VH1 movies were taped in Houston including the MC Hammer movie. Having the astrodome studio I think will help start off the entertainment industry in Houston.

Archived