McDonald's In Houston

IronTiger

I remember Chuckwagon well, from the 60's; there was one in the Griggs/OST area.

Wheel Burger, Hub Burger and Spoke Dogs and huge drinks!!

I just ate at Smashburger on S. Main for the first time. I had no idea why they called it that, but found out that they smash the burgers just like in the old days, to create that effect, and taste.

Anyone ever eat at Yale Pharmacy in the '50's - early'60's? The cook had a large iron weight they would lay on top of several patties at a time, and smash 'em. They did the same at my favorite eating place, Sammy's Cafe on 19th - anyone ate there ? How 'bout Balfanz Pharmacy - world famous for thier malts. Elvis even drank one there!

I had a crush on the waitress at Sammy's. Her name was Roma ... and she always gave me 25 cents for five songs on the juke box. Man ... Happy Days had nothin' on the Heights in the '50's.

Sorry, I lost my point... I was going to relate that they not only smashed the burgers at the Chuckwagon, but painted the buns with warm butter, and toasted mine crisp everytime. You know- had the little crispies around the edge of the bun.

Edited by 24zulu

I too was a mid term graduate. Westbury '64. We lived out off Hiram Clark and S. Main long before the McClendon theaters went in.

My best friend was a year older and she had a '56 Ford stick shift. On Saturday nights, if we could get a little money together for gas, we'd go "cruising". We'd start at Prince's on Main at OST, drive thru there a couple of times, then on to Bill William's in the medical center. After that, we'd head on to MacDonald's on Main where 2016 is. If memory serves me, it was about where the McDonald's is now.

We'd get an order of fries and a drink and after that, we'd head on back down Fannin to start over again. This went on 3 or 4 times, spending a little time parked at each place. Of course, we had to have the windows down with the radio blaring full blast. KILT was full rock and roll then.

All these places had car hops and I'm sure those gals hated to see us 'young'uns' come through because we never did have enough money to leave a tip. Fun times in the summers and weekends during school. I'm talking '62 thru mid term '64. Don't know when McD's bought out MacD's because I moved away from Houston for a few years. Prince's on S. Main stayed around for quite some time. The Prince's on Gulf Fwy near UofH lasted a good while too.

I thought the drive-in at 69th and Wayside was a Stephen's but seems it wasn't. Now, where was Stephen's??

I too was a mid term graduate. Westbury '64. We lived out off Hiram Clark and S. Main long before the McClendon theaters went in.

My best friend was a year older and she had a '56 Ford stick shift. On Saturday nights, if we could get a little money together for gas, we'd go "cruising". We'd start at Prince's on Main at OST, drive thru there a couple of times, then on to Bill William's in the medical center. After that, we'd head on to MacDonald's on Main where 2016 is. If memory serves me, it was about where the McDonald's is now.

We'd get an order of fries and a drink and after that, we'd head on back down Fannin to start over again. This went on 3 or 4 times, spending a little time parked at each place. Of course, we had to have the windows down with the radio blaring full blast. KILT was full rock and roll then.

All these places had car hops and I'm sure those gals hated to see us 'young'uns' come through because we never did have enough money to leave a tip. Fun times in the summers and weekends during school. I'm talking '62 thru mid term '64. Don't know when McD's bought out MacD's because I moved away from Houston for a few years. Prince's on S. Main stayed around for quite some time. The Prince's on Gulf Fwy near UofH lasted a good while too.

I thought the drive-in at 69th and Wayside was a Stephen's but seems it wasn't. Now, where was Stephen's??

A bit of trivia from my wife, who went to high school in the '60's with one of the girls of the Prince family, the MacDonald's family were cousins of the Prince family.

• 8 years later...

I’m afraid you are confusing downtown McDonalds with either Bill Williams or Stuart’s, both drive-ins and both on South Main. The McDonald’s in question was in downtown Houston and was walk in. It was a stone building with a small cacti garden in front next to parking. I used to take dates there after downtown movies. It was located where the large downtown McDonalds is now.

When McDonalds was spreading across the country some people would open little burger places named McDonalds to extort money. Knowing this it was the policy of Ray Crock to challenge such places in court with the demand that they change their name. One Day attorneys arrived at the Houston McDonalds and demanded that they change their name. I was told by my father that they were quite rude and arrogant about it and had they been reasonable something could have been worked out.

ultimatlty they sued and, using their tried and true method, proceeded to claim the Houston McDonalds was a fraud created solely to extort money from a national chain. I have it on good authority that the judge, I forget his name, told them that he had courted his wife there in the 1920’s and did not appreciate lies in his court and ruled against Ray Crock. For years there were McDonalds everywhere but Houston. Eventually, McDonalds paid a reported twenty million for the building and name. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, Burch Downman said:

I’m afraid you are confusing downtown McDonalds with either Bill Williams or Stuart’s, both drive-ins and both on South Main. The McDonald’s in question was in downtown Houston and was walk in. It was a stone building with a small cacti garden in front next to parking. I used to take dates there after downtown movies. It was located where the large downtown McDonalds is now.

When McDonalds was spreading across the country some people would open little burger places named McDonalds to extort money. Knowing this it was the policy of Ray Crock to challenge such places in court with the demand that they change their name. One Day attorneys arrived at the Houston McDonalds and demanded that they change their name. I was told by my father that they were quite rude and arrogant about it and had they been reasonable something could have been worked out.

ultimatlty they sued and, using their tried and true method, proceeded to claim the Houston McDonalds was a fraud created solely to extort money from a national chain. I have it on good authority that the judge, I forget his name, told them that he had courted his wife there in the 1920’s and did not appreciate lies in his court and ruled against Ray Crock. For years there were McDonalds everywhere but Houston. Eventually, McDonalds paid a reported twenty million for the building and name. 

The MacDonald's on Main at Gray was a carhop drive-in. It was there at least as early as 1955, because we ate there at least that early. The family that owned it and the other two local carhop MacDonald's couldn't have opened it to extort money from the national McDonalds, because in 1955 the McDonalds we know today was a small regional chain that Ray Kroc hadn't even bought yet.

I have some pics of the one on Post Oak from when the Astoria was built... 

Original McDonalds (pre Astoria):  http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SkylineView/media/photo1_zps74ebca30.jpg.html

New McDonalds (pre Astoria):  http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SkylineView/media/IMG_1868_zps991234f3.jpg.html

During Astoria construction: http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SkylineView/media/2014 07 19/IMG_2175_zps8367892c.jpg.html

5 minutes ago: http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/SkylineView/media/IMG_5777_zpsblcnaf7v.jpg.html

I can't get content to work properly on the site... if anyone can pull these out of purgatory and into the thread... please do. 

All pics by me.

You wouldn't believe how many people walk over there on weekend mornings.  #ImLovingIt

• 3 months later...

The McDonald and the Prince family were related through marriage. Doug Prince had a number of drive-ins in Houston for years. The McDonald family were from the Angleton  Freeport area. The McDonald's came to Houston and started building drive-ins too. I think the first but not totally sure, but certainly the best location was located at Gray and Main on the north east corner where the current McDonald's is located. There was a Prince's drive in directly across the street where the Greyhound bus station is located today. The chain McDonald's was trying to get into the Houston Marker for years without success. They finally offered the McDonald family enough money and they sold the rights to the name and the property at Main and Gray. I do not know about the other properties that the McDonald family had. I have some pictures of that old drive-in but for some reason the system is not allowing me to post them.

Edited by Michelle C

• 5 weeks later...

and in other McDonald's news, the one in the Houston Galleria food court has closed permanently apparently...last night i was at the chik fil a and asked the manager why the McDonald's was walled up and said I had hoped it was finally undergoing much needed renovation but she said no, it was closed permanently due to not being able to afford the increasingly high rent. 

wow times are changing...

Edited by gene

We hung out at Bill Williams Drive In (Dryden and S Main) and would caravan up to McDonald's  located south of Pierce Elevated, North of Gray between Main and Fannin to try and dig up street races, The McDonald's crowd was mostly into show and would never race. 

• 9 months later...

I grew up in the Heights and remember the Texan on Hempstead and the Bulldog on N. Shepard (both closed before I started driving). Started driving in the mid 60s and went to the Princes and the Pig Stand on 15th and Shepard Drive, the Pig Stand and Princes on Washington ( I remember the cute English twins the worked this location). We went to Stuarts on N. Main once or twice ( they had the air conditioners with hoses that you could cool your car on the hot Houston nights).

The McDonald's on Main and W. Gray was our favorite location. We would travel South on Fannin to Bill Williams then return on Main St. A few car races were often involved. A carhop by the name of Virginia was our favorite as she wouldn't card us and would warn us to be careful if an officer was patrolling nearby. We never consumed more than two beers so she didn't have to say 'No More for you' as I'm sure she would have. (we probably couldn't afford anymore beers anyway as we did leave a good tip...at least we thought we did). I'm sure she is gone from this earth by now since she was about 30 years older than us back then.

I was drafted in July of 1969 then spent the next year in Vietnam and when I came back in '71 to my disappointment  my beloved McDonalds was gone and replaced with the current Ronald McDonalds.

Life goes on...……...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2009 at 8:19 AM, IronTiger said:

I was reading in this one book about McDonald's and there was a paragraph about how McDonald's couldn't use the McDonald's name until they acquired the name from a local drive-in called McDonald's.

Does anyone remember those times/care to elaborate?

(sorry the intro is so short, I'm kind of on a deadline)

Yes they couldn't come in until they bought out the local company. I believe it was the early 70's. Burger joints were Burger King, Princes, Jack in the Box, and Whataburger was starting to show up. Coming out of Corpus Christie.. Whataburger is now the top dog.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2009 at 12:26 PM, august948 said:

We had a Dos Pesos in Atlanta in the 90's before they were taken over by Taco Cabana. Sadly, even after the takeover it was by far the best Mexican food in Atlanta. Next best was Taco Bell (ugh).

I agree with the food quality of Dos Pesos, they copied the concept from down at the border. Abandoned gas stations were converted to Mama and Papa locals who produced cheap frijole y tortilla taquitos, tamales and enchiladas for the hunting tourists. 

• The title was changed to McDonald's In Houston