University of Houston Board of Regents

sevfiv

Tilman Fertitta?!

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to share with you an announcement from Gov. Rick Perry, who today has appointed three new members to the University of Houston System Board of Regents. All three are University of Houston alumni.

With their diverse backgrounds, considerable talents and strong leadership abilities, I am confident that each will make outstanding contributions to our board and to the University of Houston System. They will begin their important work on Aug. 31, with their terms expiring Aug. 31, 2015.

These three distinguished individuals are Nandita Venkateswarran Berry, senior counsel for the Houston legal firm of Locke Lord Bissell and Liddell, LLP; Tilman J.Fertitta, president, CEO and chairman of the board of Landry's Restaurants Inc.; and Jarvis V. Hollingsworth, a partner in the Houston law firm of Bracewell & Giuliani, LLP.

As we welcome the leadership of these new board members, we also owe a great debt of gratitude for the contributions and dedicated service of the individuals whose terms on the board are ending. Calvin Stephens of Dallas, Dennis Golden of Carthage and Lynden Rose of Houston have played key roles in helping us advance our Tier One journey. I thank them, and I am proud of the invaluable leadership and support they provided throughout their tenure.

Now, I am happy to share a few details about our newest board members.

* Nandita Berry of Houston hails from Hyderabad, India. She holds undergraduate degrees in political science and history from Mt. Carmel College in Bangalore, India, and in economics and political science from UH. Her legal specialization is commercial transactions, corporate and technology. She is married to Michael Berry, former Houston City Councilman and a radio talk show host. They have three children. She is a member of the American, State and Houston Bar associations, and the Houston Zoo Inc. board of directors. She is a past member of the South Asian Chamber of Commerce, Houston Area Women's Center and Community Family Center of Houston boards of directors.

* Tilman Fertitta, born and raised in Galveston and now living in Houston, attended Texas Tech University and the University of Houston, where he studied business and hotel management. He has served as president and CEO of Landry's Restaurants since 1987. In 1988, he became the controlling stockholder and assumed full responsibility for all of Landry's operations. Married with four children, he is a board member of the Greater Houston Partnership, Central Houston Inc., and Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan Houston Inc. He also is a member of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Executive Committee, chairman of the Houston Children's Charity and Houston Police Foundation, and a member of the Texas Heart Institute and Museum of Fine Arts - Houston boards of trustees. Fertitta is a 2004 inductee of the Texas Business Hall of Fame.

* Jarvis Hollingsworth of Sugar Land earned an undergraduate degree at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where he was co-captain of the Army football team, and a law degree from UH. He was named to the list of Texas Super Lawyers in 2007 and 2008 and received the 2006 Private Sector Achievement Award from the University of Houston Law Alumni Association. He provides legal counsel and strategic representation to public entities and officials, including municipalities, pension funds and retirement systems; educational institutions; and the directors and trustees who govern them. He is a member of the American and Houston Bar associations, member and former director of the State Bar of Texas, and treasurer of the Houston Bar Foundation. He is also past chairman of the Teacher Retirement System of Texas Pension Fund Board of Trustees, past board member of the Texas Growth Fund, past member of the Lehman Brothers Private Equity Advisory Board and past director of the University of Houston Alumni Association. Hollingsworth served in the U.S. Army and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.

These new board members join us at a crucial time in the life of the university and of higher education in Texas, as we look forward to the Constitutional Amendment in support of Tier-One universities that will be put to a statewide vote in November. Much work lies ahead, and we are fortunate, indeed, to have such strong leadership charting our pathway to success.

Warm Regards,

Renu Khator

Thanks for posting this, Sev. Mike told me all about the email last night when he got home. There are some mightily pissed off faculty.

My guess is the regents were sick of Aramark catering their meetings.

Or maybe Mattress Mac was unavailable for Regent duty.

My guess is the regents were sick of Aramark catering their meetings.

Or maybe Mattress Mac was unavailable for Regent duty.

Soon they will incorporate a ferris wheel, a shark tank, and a waterslide into the master plan! (How totally tier-bular, dude!)

Soon they will incorporate a ferris wheel, a shark tank, and a waterslide into the master plan! (How totally tier-bular, dude!)

:lol: Nothing says 'Tier 1 University' like a Regent who doesn't have a college degree.

Well, except maybe a boardwalk. And a chipotle coconut shrimp appetizer.

:lol: Nothing says 'Tier 1 University' like a Regent who doesn't have a college degree.

One of the new regents, Jarvis Hollingsworth, is a "past member of the Lehman Brothers Private Equity Advisory Board." This is not good news for a school that could be / will be getting more funds from the legislature than usual in the near future.

• The title was changed to University of Houston Board of Regents

Archived