Is there a way to make logging in easier?

editor

These days people have to remember lots of user names and passwords. It can be a real hassle. So, if you don't want to, or simply can't, remember your HAIF login information, there are two things you can do.

1. Link your HAIF account to your Facebook account. This way when you visit HAIF, instead of entering your HAIF information you can click on the "Facebook" icon and enter your Facebook information. Or, even better, if you still have a Facebook cookie set on your computer you will be automatically logged in without having to enter information. To set this up, click on "My Settings" in the user drop-down box, then click "Profile" and then "Manage Facebook Connect."

2. Use your OpenID. This is a project which allows people to use the same username and password on bunches of different web sites. It's similar to Microsoft Wallet, which became Microsoft Passport, which became .NET Passport, which became Windows Live ID. But OpenID is much less evil.

A lot of people already have OpenID logins and don't even know it. I was surprised to learn that the iChat ID (AOL Instant Messenger) I set up seven years ago works as an OpenID. If you use any of the following services, then you already have an OpenID:

• Google
  • MySpace
  • America Online
  • AOL Instant Messenger
  • iChat
  • IBM
  • Blogger
  • Flickr
  • LiveDoor
  • LiveJournal
  • SmugMug
  • WordPress
  • and more

First, you have to link your HAIF account to your OpenID. To do this, click on "My Settings" in the user drop-down box, then enter your OpenID URL in the box provided. What that URL is depends on the service you're using as your OpenID. If you're using your AOL ID, then the address would be openid.aol.com/xxxxxx of course replacing the x's with your AOL screen name. Blogger is even easier. Use xxxxxx.blogger.com -- simple. Click this link to find the format for several services. Once you've done this, when it comes time to log in to HAIF, click the "OpenID" logo and enter your URL.

By remembering this simple URL you can log into not only HAIF, but tens of thousands of other web sites like Kmart, the BBC, IBM, PayPal, and more.

If OpenID seems complicated, don't worry -- it's not. Click this link for a great web page with a brief explanation.

Need help? PM an administrator.

Yahoo! supports OpenID, why can't I use my Yahoo! ID on HAIF?

Because Yahoo! is a little ahead of the curve. Yahoo! supports version 2 of OpenID. HAIF is still stuck back at 1.1. Until our software provider upgrades its implementation of OpenID, there's not much we can do. It's not a high priority for the people who write the HAIF software, and doing it ourselves is beyond our technical capabilities.

Archived