Large/Old Home Exposed At Little York & Hwy. 6

Gary

Hello, so I have always been curious about this house since I see it almost every day and after reading the comments that you guys have left on here I am certain it is   Neiman Marcus's home. A buddy of mine recently told me that he was told that that land right in front of the home will eventually be a shopping center/mall. I do not doubt it after reading these comments and getting told that. I think it will be a museum later in the long run after they build a mall or shopping center. This house is very mysterious and I would love to know more about it.

Can't a person just look up public land tax records to see who the current owner is? From there go to social media, find them and ask whatever questions you want asked. If the exchange is polite enough and the topic of the question is interesting enough to the owner.......maybe you'll get invited over.

I love old homes like this and the history behind them. They need to stay put and possibly be put to modern use......like one poster here said....a museum. That would be great in this case.

Thank you for reviving this post Amaterasu.....I didn't know about this house until now.

• 10 months later...
On 7/9/2009 at 9:12 PM, coop said:

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but I went to Junior HS in the late 80's (Labay Jr. High) with a girl that lived in that house. I remember the bus stopping right on Hwy. 6 to let her on and off at the end of the long driveway. Her name was Stacy Greathouse - I promise I am not making that up.

I've always been intrigued by the house and I hope this topic can unearth some more information about it.

~ Coop

Coop, I found this on Staci Greathouse, her father is John W. Greathouse: 
James W Greathouse age 68Also known as: James W Creathouse From: Houston, TX5202 Piping Rock Ln,Houston, TX 77056 (713) 355-2177Previous Addresses: 4048 Wickersham Ln, Houston, TX 77027,
3530 Pinehurst Cir, Dallas, TX 75234,
2731 Drexel Dr, Houston, TX 77027,
5667 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77056,
***6219 Highway 6 #6, Houston, TX 77084,***
6925 Long Ave, Shawnee Mission, KS 66216,
7622 River Garden Dr, Houston, TX 77095,
3530 Pinehurst Cir, Farmers Branch, TX 75234,
***6219 Addicks Satsuma Rd, Houston, TX 77084,***
6219 Hwy 16, Houston, TX 77084
Associated Names: Jim Greathouse,
James Grteathouse
Possible Relatives: Scott W Greathouse,
Crystal Elaine Greathouse, Crystal W Greathouse, Staci Renee Greathouse

Other Phone Numbers: (713) 355-2177, (713) 355-2179, (713) 446-7921, (214) 484-3300

***Those addresses are where that house is located.***

Searched on: http://publicrecords.directory/search.php

I lived in the area since the late 70's and had not seen that house until years later. Was always curious about it, seems to have had a very interesting past!

Edited by Christine Kalmbach
add link

I also always wondered about this old house. I saw it with a friend after dining out on HWY 6 one day about seven years ago in 2010. We drove down the dirt road to check it out, but got frightened by another car going fast on the gravel road behind us and decided to turn back. We were fascinated by the metal roof and odd large house and wondered about how old it was. This is very interesting indeed. I always wondered and finally got some answers on this blog!

• 11 months later...
On 7/13/2009 at 6:06 PM, John Rich said:

Several of the German immigrants were so distraught over the take-over of their land for the reservoir, that they commited suicde rather than see their land and homes taken by the government.

That's quite a claim. Anyone heard of any corroboration of that? I just finished reading a history of the west Houston area from the early 19th Century to now called "Pleasant Bend" that makes no mention of suicides.

• 9 months later...

This house is now being bulldozed. My ex father in law is the one doing it. The property has been bought and being turned into a neighborhood. It’s one of the biggest houses I’ve seen in a long time. And at 1 time beautiful! There are 5 fireplaces inside this house that are all big enough for 4-5 grown men to stand inside of comfortably. There’s at least 9 bedrooms that I counted(might have lost count on a few due to the way the house is set up). I’m pretty sure the house was inherited after the original owner passed away. You can tell by the way they were living that it was turned into a drug house. But it definitely has some history behind it. I found the guy on Facebook that was living in it. Sent him a message asking him the story behind the house because it’s definitely haunted!! No response from him as of yet.

The inside of this house is amazing.

Three fireplaces, a sunken teal wood hot tub 8 bedrooms. Massive great room with huge fireplace. Once it was a beautiful home. So sad it has gone into disrepair and soon will be torn down. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, Britborrego1 said:

This house is now being bulldozed. My ex father in law is the one doing it. The property has been bought and being turned into a neighborhood. It’s one of the biggest houses I’ve seen in a long time. And at 1 time beautiful! There are 5 fireplaces inside this house that are all big enough for 4-5 grown men to stand inside of comfortably. There’s at least 9 bedrooms that I counted(might have lost count on a few due to the way the house is set up). I’m pretty sure the house was inherited after the original owner passed away. You can tell by the way they were living that it was turned into a drug house. But it definitely has some history behind it. I found the guy on Facebook that was living in it. Sent him a message asking him the story behind the house because it’s definitely haunted!! No response from him as of yet.

The house was most definitely NOT turned into a drug house. Kit Perkins lived in the house for the past 7+ years, along with my mother who lived in it with him from 2017-2018. The house is/was mostly condemned. There are 11 bedrooms total, only about 4 that weren’t condemned and somewhat livable. One room had been completely taken over by honey bees. No one dared to enter most as they had been taken over by other animals/trash and who knows what else. They had to install huge wooden latches in most of the doors to prevent squatters from entering the home at night. There were literally holes in the walls, floors and ceilings in most rooms. The owners of Visible Changes were the most recent owners of the house until about a month ago went they finally sold the property. Kit needed a place to live and they needed someone to stay in the house so that it wasn’t taken over by homeless people, which is why he lived there for so many years! 

Edited by kenz
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, Mapcats said:

Britborrego1, Did you manage to get any photos? Would love to see the inside of that house

If you have a Facebook look up Vintage West Houston. They have an entire post up about the house and many people who have entered the house (including myself) over the years have posted photos! 

12 hours ago, kenz said:

If you have a Facebook look up Vintage West Houston. They have an entire post up about the house and many people who have entered the house (including myself) over the years have posted photos! 

Direct link: https://www.facebook.com/WestHoustonArchives/posts/2436145833148366?__tn__=K-R

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Reefmonkey said:

That's quite a claim. Anyone heard of any corroboration of that? I just finished reading a history of the west Houston area from the early 19th Century to now called "Pleasant Bend" that makes no mention of suicides.

I group in this area and went to Labay Jr High and Langham Creek HS. I was always fascinated with the history of the area and recently found a case study with tons of info with all the families who settled in the area. Speaks about German farmers who committed suicide as well as Groeschke family members. Awesome read...enjoy!!!!  http://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/3049 

Edited by BruceT
adding PDF

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, BruceT said:

I group in this area and went to Labay Jr High and Langham Creek HS. I was always fascinated with the history of the area and recently found a case study with tons of info with all the families who settled in the area. Speaks about German farmers who committed suicide as well as Groeschke family members. Awesome read...enjoy!!!!  http://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/3049 

Interesting paper. It looks like only three suicides according to page 60, and the paper only gives info on two: George Groschke, who was 72 years old and distraught over the recent death of his wife, and Rudolph Hoffmann, who had resisted the Corps of Engineers purchase. The attribution of their suicides to the dam is based on personal interviews conducted with people some 60 years after their deaths. Whether these people had firs, second, or third-hand knowledge of their deaths is unknown, and such testimony isn't super-reliable. And as my psychologist wife says, people rarely commit suicide over one thing. So probably the best that can be said is there were a couple of suicides around the time of the building of the dams that may have been influenced in part by the takeover of the land, but to assert as John Rich does that "Several of the German immigrants were so distraught over the take-over of their land for the reservoir, that they commited suicde rather than see their land and homes taken by the government" is probably to overstate things.

Edited by Reefmonkey

• The title was changed to Large/Old Home Exposed At Little York & Highway 6
  • 3 weeks later...

I lived on this property when it was Lawrence Marcus' Polo Farm. It was in the 1970's.  I remember the smaller houses and the barn. I remember the fire ants floating on the water when the bayou would flood.

The store/beer joint just down the rd (1960) was owned by a Mr Smith. I think it was pretty much the only thing around until you reached Katy Freeway. It's so long ago now.

Sorry to hear the house has been demolished.

• The title was changed to Large/Old Home Exposed At Little York & Hwy. 6