Damn, it's HOT

rsb320

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a toss-up for me. I hate raging heat and high electric/water bills, but I don't have to pace the floor wondering if the sprinkler is going to flood our house. :unsure: I like the soft summer rains I remember from ages ago; the kind all the kids would go out and splash around in. I'm tired of psycho killer clown monsoons.

It's a toss-up for me. I hate raging heat and high electric/water bills, but I don't have to pace the floor wondering if the sprinkler is going to flood our house. :unsure: I like the soft summer rains I remember from ages ago; the kind all the kids would go out and splash around in. I'm tired of psycho killer clown monsoons.

Not necessarily so, grasshopper. I turned on my sprinkler last night 8ish, and at 8 this morning discovered I had forgotten to turn it off. OK, it didn't come anywhere near flooding my house, but there is about 6 inches of MY water in the ditch going several houses up both directions. And it was still there moments ago, so it had to have soaked the ground before rising. :mellow:

I have a digital thermometer that is placed in the shade (all day), and it has registered over 100 degrees for the last 12 days. Of course I'm sure it's prone to error, but it's damn hot here in Katy. Not a drop of rain in almost a month.

Is it me or is this a really hot June?

I was wondering. Last summer it was dry until Ike. Do prior conditions matter for a Hurricane to form? Do land conditions matter when a hurricane nears land fall? If it's dry, will one already formed have a better chance of coming our way?

I was wondering. Last summer it was dry until Ike. Do prior conditions matter for a Hurricane to form? Do land conditions matter when a hurricane nears land fall? If it's dry, will one already formed have a better chance of coming our way?

It would have to be one hell of a hurricane to make it through the high we over us right now.

Emme: Whoops! Did that before we put in the backyard deck and converted a dining-room window to a French door! :blush: Thankfully, our oldest dog always has to go before bedtime, so I can't miss the sprinkler anymore.

I swear I remember something about a high pressure ridge keeping Katrina from coming any further west in 2005 or is that just a weather legend?

Emme: Whoops! Did that before we put in the backyard deck and converted a dining-room window to a French door! :blush: Thankfully, our oldest dog always has to go before bedtime, so I can't miss the sprinkler anymore.

I swear I remember something about a high pressure ridge keeping Katrina from coming any further west in 2005 or is that just a weather legend?

I remember there was some weather system that kept Katrina from hitting us.

It would have to be one hell of a hurricane to make it through the high we over us right now.

Hot gulf water feeds the tropical storms/hurricanes. The hotter the water, the bigger the system. Can the air heat effect that? Thinking yeah, but not knowing it.

Hot gulf water feeds the tropical storms/hurricanes. The hotter the water, the bigger the system. Can the air heat effect that? Thinking yeah, but not knowing it.

A high pressure system pushes low pressure systems away. That's why we haven't had any rain.

Edit: provided that the high pressure system is as strong as what we have right now.

A high pressure system pushes low pressure systems away. That's why we haven't had any rain.

Edit: provided that the high pressure system is as strong as what we have right now.

but it was really dry last summer too?

According to the Chronicle weather archives, we had a dry June & July 2008, but precipitation was about 4" above average for August and the yearly total was close to the average. Date I checked was the 22nd for each month, and Ike hit September 12. No expert, but I think it will depend more on conditions nearer to the formation of the storm than early in the season. Anything can happen between now and August-September, which is peak hurricane time for our area. I keep hearing that El Nino is supposed to show up between June-August and lessen chances for an Atlantic hurricane.

but it was really dry last summer too?

True, but we didn't have the same type of system over us when the hurricane hit us. If I'm not mistaken we had a relatively weak high pressure system at the time. Nothing like this one.

It appears that most folks in the Heights are off the hook for watering yards tonight. We had an OK rain over most of the area.

Yeah, I saw the rain over The Heights while coming into town yesterday afternoon. I'm jealous. Right now it's 99.5 degrees in Katy with no rain in site.

At least it hasn't been humid, or at least not during the hottest parts of the day. I was walking downtown in the shade of the buildings and it felt quite pleasant out there.

Now what we need is some rain.

We hit 102.6 today (about 4:30 pm) according to my thermometer, and brother stuff is dying. The trees that TXDOT planted along the Katy Freeway are dying in droves as well.

It's hit 100 almost every day the past week or two in my car. It seems everyones thermometers are say 100 except for the tv stations.

It's hit 100 almost every day the past week or two in my car. It seems everyones thermometers are say 100 except for the tv stations.

Frank said that it was 101 yesterday.

I know what you mean though. You can go to weather.com or accuweather.com and put in your zip and it'll say 93 - NOT!

Already in the low 90s as of 9:00 am this morning... yesterday at 10:00 am we were at 89F... could easily reach yesterday's 104F and possibly top it today! B)

At my house in Cypress I have a digital thermometer in the shade. It was still 97 F at 8:30 last night. :o

The "For Sale" sign in the front yard is the only thing keeping the grass alive.

At my house in Cypress I have a digital thermometer in the shade. It was still 97 F at 8:30 last night. :o

The "For Sale" sign in the front yard is the only thing keeping the grass alive.

I noticed that it didn't cool down last night. What happened to our nice evening breezes? It was so still and sauna-esc.

I noticed that it didn't cool down last night. What happened to our nice evening breezes? It was so still and sauna-esc.

We had clouds push in overnight which is one reason we did not cool off as much overnight.

Archived