Houston has the world's longest ring road... or not.

• 1 month later...

San Antonio has a future outer loop that's already in place besides a few bypasses and spurs. all ready in place I'm pretty sure that'll dwarf Grand Parkway or DFW's planned "Loop 9"

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with the SA road your talking about. It can't be Loop 1604 because it's not even as far out as the Beltway.

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with the SA road your talking about. It can't be Loop 1604 because it's not even as far out as the Beltway.

Here you go.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/circuit.htm

It's not one highway, but a series of highways that form a ring about 30-40 miles away from downtown San Antonio. It's about 222 miles in circumference.

An old book I had mentioned the I45-I10-59 ring around downtown as Houston's inner loop. This was while 610 was still under construction. So by that reckoning, Houston will have four ring roads.

If you consider the FM 1960/Highway 6/Highway 146 loop as a ring road, then it would be 5. Interestingly, the Wikipedia definition of a ring road would seem to include the 1960/6/146 ring, yet the list of cities with notable ring roads does not include it.

An old book I had mentioned the I45-I10-59 ring around downtown as Houston's inner loop. This was while 610 was still under construction.

Originally, 610 was not planned to be a complete loop, but C-shaped. The Northeast section would've terminated at I-10 East and the Southeast section would've terminated at Highway 225. After a while, the planners realized a full loop would be better, so they added the bridge over the Houston Ship Channel into the plans.

Originally, 610 was not planned to be a complete loop, but C-shaped. The Northeast section would've terminated at I-10 East and the Southeast section would've terminated at Highway 225. After a while, the planners realized a full loop would be better, so they added the bridge over the Houston Ship Channel into the plans.

I remember reading that in the Houston Freeways book. It'd be an interesting study to find research how people traversed the Buffalo Bayou and San Jacinto Rivers in the contexts of how these riparian systems have been so completely altered over two centuries to form the Houston Ship Channel. Where were the bridges and tunnels, when were they built? Before that, where were the ferries, what kinds of vessels were they, and when did they operate? Before that, where were the best places to ford across?

• 1 month later...

Here you go.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/circuit.htm

It's not one highway, but a series of highways that form a ring about 30-40 miles away from downtown San Antonio. It's about 222 miles in circumference.

I think considering that a "ring road" is a stretch. Parts of that are two lane roads with no shoulder. If San Antonio quadruples in size I'm still not sure that set of roads would need to be expanded.

• 11 months later...

Archived