We've got a problem with people trespassing through our front yard as a shortcut. It's been exacerbated since a new pathway was built nearby, increasing local foot traffic. It's a corner lot, and these shady looking folks will cut through the yard like they own the place. I'll look out the kitchen window and see a figure walk by my car (I park it outside of the garage) before walking along the side of the house and onto the street. It pisses me off that folks don't know that cutting through someone's lawn is rude. Also, who knows why these folks are walking so close, perhaps they're trying to get a better view of what the outside is like so they can find a way to get in later?

So, I figure the best solution (besides sitting in a rocking chair in the driveway 24/7 with a .357 in my lap, a .38 in one hand, and a 9mm in the other) is to install some 6 foot tall iron fencing with a gate around the driveway area, therefore blocking off most of the area used as the shortcut. The front area would not be fenced off because we want to retain access for USPS and guests. Not to mention that an iron fence going across the whole perimeter looks somewhat penitentiary-like. Here's a non scale figure of what I'm proposing.

fenceproposal.jpg

Not only would it provide some security from unwanted trespassers, it would keep those vicious stray dogs from assaulting me and others while washing the car in the driveway, and it would let lil' kids play around that area without being approached by a stranger or a dog.

So now, that brings me to my $100 question. What local fencing companies would you recommend to do this job? I'd like to get someone out here to do an estimate.

I have had good experiences with Viking Fence Co., located on Sampson, just to the north of your neighborhood. Ask for one of their T-Shirts--they're bitchin'.

However, I would recommend taking the fence from corner to corner, if that is possible. Otherwise you will still have people cutting across your yard, just along a different vector.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll also consider your recommendation to bring the fence out a little more.

You could also plant some nice prickly bushes along one side near the street (or maybe some closely spaced azaleas, if you want it to be prettier) so it would be inconvenient for anyone to cut the corner while still leaving the front walkway accessible.

You could also plant some nice prickly bushes along one side near the street (or maybe some closely spaced azaleas, if you want it to be prettier) so it would be inconvenient for anyone to cut the corner while still leaving the front walkway accessible.

Yeah, I like that idea better. One way or the other, you need a barrier to keep traffic going to the corner.

ugh. This new pathway terminating across from our driveway has been nothing but trouble by giving undesirable foot traffic even better access to our property.

Yeah, I like that idea better. One way or the other, you need a barrier to keep traffic going to the corner.

The landscaping idea sounds good, but it only solves the problem of people cutting through the lawn. That's only one of the problems. The fencing would also serve as a deterrent to keep criminals away from the driveway and garage area.

On two occasions, one car was vandalized in our driveway, both times in broad daylight, though nothing was stolen. Only the glovebox that was full of worthless fuel receipts was rummaged through. However, when they broke into MY car (in daylight as well), they took the radio. <_<

We've also had problems with folks being robbed in their driveways in the neighborhood after being trailed, or being robbed while bringing in groceries or working on their cars. I'd like to be able to hand wash my car without worrying that some thug is gonna try to rob me in the process. I remember a few years ago, a weird, beat up car seemed to be trailing us around the neighborhood while we were on the way home. So I decided not to go straight home, but instead, turn onto Parkwood from Del Rio and take the circle around Parkwood Park formed by the splitting of Parkwood Drive into North Parkwood Drive and South Parkwood Drive 3 times to see if they'd do the same. I knew if they were just driving home and not trailing me, they wouldn't follow me completely around the circle, but just turn off of towards Rio Vista at the point where North and South Parkwood Drive reconverge on the other side. After one revolution, they were still on my tail. After the second one, they were still there. After the third one, they realized that I was testing them and that I knew what they were doing. So they quickly turned toward Rio Vista and got off my trail.

You can buy one of those dummy cammeras ($20) and install it in plain view. A red light will come on when motion is detected and will draw the criminals attention. They're battery operated and easy to install.

Also, run your new plants down the left side of the driveway to make the barrier continuos.

• 6 years later...

Archived