Greyhound Bus Station At 2121 Main St.

midtown 4.2

so i should take the "removal of greyhound station" off my Christmas wish list forever?

dammit...are there no viable solutions that can be presented to the powers that be. if there was a singular problem styming midtown development, IMO this is it

I don't know... I mean, cities need bus stations like that... they just need to keep up w/ security and make sure it's a safe place to be around.

so i should take the "removal of greyhound station" off my Christmas wish list forever?

dammit...are there no viable solutions that can be presented to the powers that be.

the powers that be passed ordinances that would help but they don't enforce them.

dammit...are there no viable solutions that can be presented to the powers that be. if there was a singular problem styming midtown development, IMO this is it

Just think, it used to be over on I think Texas Avenue? On opposite side of DT where it presently stands. Would have been even more hellish with the new ballpark and other new establshments nearby. They shifted it to that spot because most business had fled for the burbs by the late 1970's so they figured well here a good a spot as any. They never thought it would make a comeback, so here we are today. I rode that bus once in 1976 and at that time it was mostly teens, parents with kids & a few single people. I have no idea why it now attracts so many bums? It was stated that many are recently parolled ex-cons that are given a bus pass as soon as they are released. Need we argue about that? :blink:

The Greyhound station isn't going anywhere...you people should quit getting your hopes up. The Midtown Redevelopment Authority doesn't know what the hades they are doing anyway, so its futile to deal with them regardless.

I've heard rumblings that the Greyhound Station may be moving to North Main near Metro's planned intermodal terminal at some point in the foreseeable future.

I've heard rumblings that the Greyhound Station may be moving to North Main near Metro's planned intermodal terminal at some point in the foreseeable future.

that's what the midtown assoc wants. greyhound probably doesn't since it'll cost them money

that's what the midtown assoc wants. greyhound probably doesn't since it'll cost them money

Who actually owns the Greyhound Property? If it is Greyhound I'm surprised they don't sell as that land is worth a fortune. To me it would make more sense for the station to be at the end of the Metro Rail out near 610. If someone really needs to get into downtown they could jump the rail out there and head in. But, I'm guessing most are being picked up by friends etc (I live in the area and know that is not true for all) and 610 is a hell of lot better traffic congestion wise then the downtown freeway situation.

Just my two cents... Probably all it's worth too ;)

This is what needs to happen, and if it's secured properly it should be a whole lot better than what we have on Main in Midtown right now.

It would be great for everything - and everyone - around there.

can someone please call greyhound and suggest them to sell the land?

Can the Mayor be of any assistance? Has he offered? I think there was a seperate thread where the Mayor was alerted to the dire situation at hand but to no avail. More red tape...

It just need to be pushed as far away from downtown as possible. Do we have any takers out there that want it in their nabe? Ja ja! :lol:

North. It's a shorter trip from Huntsville anyway.

Oh you mean from the prison. Makes sense! :D

How about in the woodlands? That way when ppl are moving in on the bus they can see all the nice trees they have up there. They will be able to breathe the fresh air they have up there in the woodlands. Plus all the green is relaxing too.

• 3 weeks later...
....To me it would make more sense for the station to be at the end of the Metro Rail out near 610. If someone really needs to get into downtown they could jump the rail out there and head in. But, I'm guessing most are being picked up by friends etc (I live in the area and know that is not true for all) and 610 is a hell of lot better traffic congestion wise then the downtown freeway situation...

That would be nice! :) It also seems that many of the people that get off the Greyhound walk over to the Metro bus station (after getting a Big Mac, :D ), where they can catch a bus to anywhere in town. I know that's a really dangerous intersection, as they leave the bus station they just walk against the lights right out onto Gray. I've came very close to hitting someone many times.

Not to mention all the people getting into cabs or getting picked up along Gray in front of the station, who mindlessly walk out into the street while loading into the cars. You really have to be careful. Relocating the Greyhound station to someplace with better loading/unloading areas, instead of being closely surrounded by busy streets, would seem like a smart move. Of course, I guess they figure it needs to stay close to the Metro bus hub. :wacko:

I've been approached a few times by guys saying they just got out of jail/prison, and if I could give them some money, anywhere within several blocks of the station. They weren't the usual bums that constantly bug you downtown...they were ex-cons, and not ashamed to tell me that. Kinda scary. I try to avoid the area when walking, but the ex-cons have approached me even in front of my bank (Amegy) and asked me for money.

When I talk about Downtown Houston with any of my suburban friends, one of the first things they ask about is,"that scary bus station". :lol: I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a popular area for development as long as it remains there. I shouldn't complain, since it was there before I moved down the street from it Downtown, but for the future of Midtown...it would be nice to see it moved and the area cleaned up.

I think the old bus station was better as far as safety goes, while this loading is more efficient than old station, the old station ALL the buses went into a massive building where everyone was sheltered from the elements. I don't recall how people got into and out of the place, but I remember boarding the buses was an interesting case of organized chaos.

The panhandlers know that there is security inside the bus station so they go to the side to intercept riders.

When I arrived at the bus station and went to the side to take a ride one time, some guy went up to me and asked, as an opening question, "Are you prejudiced against black people?"

I said no so he made some request I didn't understand; I just said "No thanks - I have a ride." Then he asked me for two dollars - "I have no money" (I would have given the beggar NOTHING even if I had money) - I went into my mom's car and she drove off. I didn't notice at the time, but she told me she was honking the horn to get that guy off of me.

In a way I felt amused by how a beggar would use that question to try to guilt me into giving him money...

Edited by VicMan

Says Metro: They're making room for the Greyhound station at the Intermodal Terminal, just north of UH-Downtown. In the same breath they say they haven't yet spoken to Greyhound. But, if you were building a bright shiny new terminal, would you want Greyhound there?

Still may be going on, but at least for awhile, the cab drivers were dealing to their riders.

And, I'm not sure the prison system still has people waiting for former inmates to get off the bus, and to ensure they go on their way to their official destination. One of the first things the former inmates do: buy beer.

Says Metro: They're making room for the Greyhound station at the Intermodal Terminal, just north of UH-Downtown. In the same breath they say they haven't yet spoken to Greyhound. But, if you were building a bright shiny new terminal, would you want Greyhound there?

Still may be going on, but at least for awhile, the cab drivers were dealing to their riders.

And, I'm not sure the prison system still has people waiting for former inmates to get off the bus, and to ensure they go on their way to their official destination. One of the first things the former inmates do: buy beer.

IMO it's not so much that it's Greyhound, but it's how the Greyhound station is handled. If they had security around the whole block I don't think it will be a problem.

With the current Midtown Greyhound they have security in the building and at the front, so the panhandlers go to the sides. There needs to be security surrounding the station, with security guards (armed, of course) willing to shoo away beggars, winos, and panhandlers.

Edited by VicMan

IMO it's not so much that it's Greyhound, but it's how the Greyhound station is handled. If they had security around the whole block I don't think it will be a problem.

With the current Midtown Greyhound they have security in the building and at the front, so the panhandlers go to the sides. There needs to be security surrounding the station, with security guards (armed, of course) willing to shoo away beggars, winos, and panhandlers.

I totally agree, I think once Greyhound is cleaned up, quite a bit of the foolishness (along with SEARCH and a few other places) in downtown would break up this happy little Hobo Home.

Last night, I made the idiotic decision of making a deposit over at the Midtown Wells Fargo ATM when I noticed an interesting little bugger hanging out on the corner of the building. After I had left, I notified the cops. Never heard back, but whatever.

• 10 years later...

https://midtownhouston.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MMD-Minutes-4.4.18-signed.pdf

Finally, Mr. Marshall announced that the MRA board recently approved a contract with The Goodman Corporation to identify new sites for a regional transportation center and possible relocation of the Greyhound station. The Goodman Corporation will also provide cost estimates and whether to explore federal funds are available to assist with the cost of developing a regional transportation center.[/quot]

• Like 7

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2008 at 3:13 PM, VicMan said:

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2008 at 3:20 PM, ricco67 said:

I totally agree, I think once Greyhound is cleaned up, quite a bit of the foolishness (along with SEARCH and a few other places) in downtown would break up this happy little Hobo Home.

Lurching forward 10 years, some things have changed, some have not.
SEARCH has relocated from Midtown to EaDo (for the time being).
Another service agency (Career and Recovery Resources, Inc.) has expanded its operations; it's unlikely to relocate in the foreseeable future.
Fewer people seem to be congregating directly adjacent to the Greyhound station; whether this was accomplished by guards,  armed or unarmed, is something I do not know.
The Texaco at Webster (between Fannin and San Jacinto), the Chevron (at Hadley and Main), the McDonald's on Main, and streets intersecting the Pierce Elevated overpass have become popular gathering places. There they shall probably remain until asked, told, or forced to move.

With the Pierce elevated getting demolished, I could see the McDonald's block getting redeveloped pretty quickly.

Months of demolition and then no more cover would remove the streets under the Pierce elevated as a gathering place.

The Chevron is one of the few gas stations in midtown, so I doubt it's going anywhere, but if more development comes in from the NE, it would likely have less people gathering there.

That Texaco station is huge, and might be profitable enough nothing will happen with it until the land is worth enough for a highrise

• Like 2

Demolishing the Pierce Elevated is not a foregone conclusion at this point, and shouldn't be as there are alternative opportunities worth discussing.  It is certainly being decommissioned, and the latest economic study on the issue indicates an increase in investment in the area of the Pierce that would be 4 times greater if the Pierce were left in place as a linear space programmed (both below and on the elevated) for different activities and developments.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, cspwal said:

That Texaco station is huge, and might be profitable enough nothing will happen with it until the land is worth enough for a highrise

Currently, the Texaco station has some gas pumps, a small auto repair facility, a Thai restaurant, and a convenience store. Two fairly large spaces (the former dry cleaners on the south end of the building, and a restaurant space on the north end) have remained vacant for quite a while.
To their credit, the management has maintained some security presence. Fewer people are congregating on their property, deciding instead to hang out across the street on Webster.
An interesting aside: today, an HPD officer was quizzing the convenience store clerk about the security guard, and asked to speak to his (the guard's) supervisor. "He ain't got no pistol permit" the officer began, "and he ain't got no ID..." :huh:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

An interesting aside: today, an HPD officer was quizzing the convenience store clerk about the security guard, and asked to speak to his (the guard's) supervisor. "He ain't got no pistol permit" the officer began, "and he ain't got no ID..." :huh:

That doesn't sound like a security guard - sounds more like the Texaco "bought" some protection

• Like 2