How to cure dead spots in lawn

Guest Dave-Morris

Guest Dave-Morris

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

No matter how much I water I still have dead spots in my lawn. I don't have many weeds and no pine trees. But I can't seem to make nice grass grow in these spots. Any suggestions?

How big are the spots and how many do you have?

flipper

Too much water will also kill the grass.

What kind of grass are you growing?

The dead area is in full sun?

St. Augustine just came out of dormancy a few days to a few weeks ago so it will still take a few months to fill in the dead areas. Pick up a few pieces of sod to help it out. You are also suppose to fertilize in April with a fertilizer that has a 3:1:2 ratio (which for some reason is difficult to find - especially at the Big Box stores - but is the best for our region)

There are also a host of other problems your lawn could have... why don't you post a picture or two?

just heard a blurb on the news....the weed and seed isn't supposed to be used under trees because it burns their roots.

Yeah it says that on the bag. I'm not sure it's as bad on some trees as others, and I'm guessing the shallower the roots the more risk there is. What if you do the weed and feed for the grass plus tree fertilizer for the tree roots? Makes sense to me. I am not an expert, but I have a healthy tree and good grass so I think it's all good.

Yeah it says that on the bag. I'm not sure it's as bad on some trees as others, and I'm guessing the shallower the roots the more risk there is. What if you do the weed and feed for the grass plus tree fertilizer for the tree roots?
sounds like you're not following directions.

sounds like you're not following directions.

to the letter...except for the part about not under the tree. it's working out great, i recommend it. The tree is a sycamore. It's quite possible it affects some trees more than others, and some not at all, and they're just too lazy or worried about people not knowing what trees they have to put a list on the bag.

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know why Randy Lemon doesn't like weed and seed formulas?

I just started Randy's fertilizing schedule. We'll see how it goes. The lawn was neglected, mostly killed off, then turned into a jungle (before we moved in). If it doesn't work I will get weed and feed. A few weeks ago we had 3 foot tall 'milkweed' plants (for not knowing their true names) and about 10 other weed varieties.

Weeding was a losing battle. I've since started mowing regularly and fertilized today (the re-sodding has been put on hold for the time being).

I just started Randy's fertilizing schedule. We'll see how it goes. The lawn was neglected, mostly killed off, then turned into a jungle (before we moved in). If it doesn't work I will get weed and feed. A few weeks ago we had 3 foot tall 'milkweed' plants (for not knowing their true names) and about 10 other weed varieties.

Weeding was a losing battle. I've since started mowing regularly and fertilized today (the re-sodding has been put on hold for the time being).

I used Scott's Weed&Feed for southern lawns a few weeks back and it dropped those 2 foot milkweeds dead in their tracks. Unfortunately, it also kills off non-St. Augustine grass. That's not a huge deal, since I have a St. Augustine lawn, but the patches that have not recovered from last year's chinch bugs are now bare.

Our landscaper put in Bermuda Grass @ 2.5 years ago. It has really caught on, and I like it better than St. Augustine. It is so pretty that when we have backyard/pool parties, everyone wants to kick their shoes off, and feel the grass against their feet. I'm not sure what he sprays on it, but man, is it beautiful! You may want to switch out.

Archived