British Blog Urges "Let's All Move to Houston"

sheeats

Seriously:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...e_b_houston.php

Granted, the writer stayed in River Oaks with a hoity-toity friend. :rolleyes:

I liked that she likes Houston. I just don't like that she thinks it is a place full of backwards cowboys. People always think Texas is what they see on TV. I personally don't see the Texas that some see (The backwards, conservative, hicks), why do we have to be know as that. Also, people don't realize that the Bush's are from the New England area, not Texas. Texas is just where they got famous and now live.

I liked that she likes Houston. I just don't like that she thinks it is a place full of backwards cowboys. People always think Texas is what they see on TV. I personally don't see the Texas that some see (The backwards, conservative, hicks), why do we have to be know as that. Also, people don't realize that the Bush's are from the New England area, not Texas. Texas is just where they got famous and now live.

I can think of unappealing regional stereotypes that apply to just about every American city, both based upon the urban subcultures and the influence of rural cultures. Being popularly associated with cowboys is a heck of a lot more appealing than being saddled with the Upper Midwest's rabid unionists, Oklahoma's okies, Kansas' bible thumpers, or the Deep South's racists.

I can think of unappealing regional stereotypes that apply to just about every American city, both based upon the urban subcultures and the influence of rural cultures. Being popularly associated with cowboys is a heck of a lot more appealing than being saddled with the Upper Midwest's rabid unionists, Oklahoma's okies, Kansas' bible thumpers, or the Deep South's racists.

Niche, I disagree with you 99% of the time, but I think you're right on here.

To tell the truth, I think a lot of British (I couldn't bring myself to say "Brits") would love to live in Houston. It's got a great quality of life at a decent cost. You can't sweat the stereotypes. Every place has them, and few people really take them seriously.

When I lived in LA several yrs ago, I had a lady boss that was from England. I loved everything about her, mannerisms, style and most of all her Brit accent!

I should start a blog that begs Brits to move to my area. Dream come true, dont even care if rich or poor just change.

Then we could really call ourselves "The Eastenders" lol. :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/

My husband is from the UK and he loves Houston so much that he won't even entertain the thought of moving back home. He hates even visiting now, aside from seeing friends, because he can't stand the weather. I know, I know. :rolleyes:

He loves having a car, owning a house larger than three of his friends' houses put together, the low taxes, the wide open spaces (what, they don't have those in England?) and our weather. The down side is that he loves the weather so much that he refuses to ever turn the a/c on and revels in the heat. And that's when the punches start getting thrown... :lol:

My husband is from the UK and he loves Houston so much that he won't even entertain the thought of moving back home. He hates even visiting now, aside from seeing friends, because he can't stand the weather. I know, I know. :rolleyes:

He loves having a car, owning a house larger than three of his friends' houses put together, the low taxes, the wide open spaces (what, they don't have those in England?) and our weather. The down side is that he loves the weather so much that he refuses to ever turn the a/c on and revels in the heat. And that's when the punches start getting thrown... :lol:

Yep! I almost married an Englishman and let me tell ya, the very idea of Texas, and Houston, got him all googly. He loved it here. Loved the sun and space, and the can-do mindset. Years ago my old hangout was also a social hub for British expats (Richmond Arms). I actually saw a couple of guys arrive at the pub in a cab, with luggage, straight from the airport to start their new life in Houston (as illegal construction workers, but hey......). There's an old Chris Rea song called "Texas" that was popular in the UK 20 or so years ago, and I'd bet good money it's still on the jukebox at the Richmond. It was the pretty much the bar's theme song.

You can't sweat the stereotypes.

But you sure can sweat in the summer!

Not a surprise that a european enjoys Texas. A lot of Germans do too. My mom & grandmother love living here. When family or friends come to visit, they leave their jackets on when they get out of the airport. They actually like the heat! (Crazies)... also they comment on how the air is "heavy". Which is the humidity...

Yep! I almost married an Englishman and let me tell ya, the very idea of Texas, and Houston, got him all googly. He loved it here. Loved the sun and space, and the can-do mindset. Years ago my old hangout was also a social hub for British expats (Richmond Arms). I actually saw a couple of guys arrive at the pub in a cab, with luggage, straight from the airport to start their new life in Houston (as illegal construction workers, but hey......). There's an old Chris Rea song called "Texas" that was popular in the UK 20 or so years ago, and I'd bet good money it's still on the jukebox at the Richmond. It was the pretty much the bar's theme song.

There must be something about the Richmond Arms. A couple of years ago I was doing some work at a company that hired a British guy, and within a week he had discovered the Richmond Arms and started hanging out there. It must be listed in the info package they give to UK expats.

Besides drinking at Richmond Arms, homesick British could shop at Kroger, which had a small section of UK food imports, PG tips and such.

There must be something about the Richmond Arms. A couple of years ago I was doing some work at a company that hired a British guy, and within a week he had discovered the Richmond Arms and started hanging out there. It must be listed in the info package they give to UK expats.

Besides drinking at Richmond Arms, homesick British could shop at Kroger, which had a small section of UK food imports, PG tips and such.

Yep, my hubby loves the Richmond Arms, too. He's also a big fan of The Bull and Bear, further west.

As for shopping H-E-B has a great selection of British food in most of their stores, but the motherlode is at The British Isles in Rice Village. Every kind of English food you could imagine -- they even have a freezer with things like meat pies and Cornish pasties. :D

Yep, my hubby loves the Richmond Arms, too. He's also a big fan of The Bull and Bear, further west.

I wonder what it is about The Bull & Bear that attracts such an International crowd? We were at a biz mixer there about 8 months ago & we met several from England & Australia, great bunch of blokes.

As for shopping H-E-B has a great selection of British food in most of their stores, but the motherlode is at The British Isles in Rice Village. Every kind of English food you could imagine -- they even have a freezer with things like meat pies and Cornish pasties. :D

Marmite? Mushy peas?

It's funny, because one wouldn't think there would be a huge export market demand for British cuisine.

Marmite? Mushy peas?

It's funny, because one wouldn't think there would be a huge export market demand for British cuisine.

And Heinz beans. Whatever you do, don't try and convince a Brit that they can just buy some American pork n' beans instead because they taste the same. I made my very hungover BF a big plate of beans on toast once and I got read the riot act for not using the Heinz beans.

Marmite? Mushy peas?

Both kinds of mushy peas -- the regular and the ones with [gag] mint. :lol:

And Heinz beans. Whatever you do, don't try and convince a Brit that they can just buy some American pork n' beans instead because they taste the same. I made my very hungover BF a big plate of beans on toast once and I got read the riot act for not using the Heinz beans.

Ditto. Although my husband has developed an affinity for our style of pork 'n' beans, he still prefers the "real" kind (which, to me, taste exactly like beans in a can full of ketchup, as if pork 'n' beans weren't disgusting enough to begin with).

• 3 weeks later...
Marmite? Mushy peas?

Not a market??? You have got to be kidding me!!!! Out here in West Houston (Energy Corridor), it is like Little Britain!!! We would love to have a Marks and Spencer open up here, it would do a roaring trade!

When I came to Houston 11 years ago I was told that there were over 30,000 ex-pats in Houston, I am sure that number has increased now.

I was talking about this last night with a British expat. He's thrilled with Houston, thinks the people are friendly, will probably remain, and says HEB has quite the nice selection of steak and kidney pies and whatnot.

Not a market??? You have got to be kidding me!!!! Out here in West Houston (Energy Corridor), it is like Little Britain!!! We would love to have a Marks and Spencer open up here, it would do a roaring trade!

When I came to Houston 11 years ago I was told that there were over 30,000 ex-pats in Houston, I am sure that number has increased now.

So, who's the only gay in the village? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Does Okie have a negative connotation?

• 1 month later...

M&S??? That'd be just the thing. Right before I moved to Houston, they opened Marks and Spencer simply food in the train station in both Cambridge and King's Cross (my daily commute). I picked up breakfast and dinner there almost every single day. Coronation chicken, aromatic duck, and eggs & cress sandwiches.

• 7 years later...
On 4/7/2009 at 7:54 PM, citykid09 said:

Also, people don't realize that the Bush's are from the New England area, not Texas. Texas is just where they got famous and now live.

If I were a native Texan, or Huostonian, I wouldn't want to claim them either.

I got the impression that the writer of the piece doesn't know the difference between how you're treated when visiting a city as a writer who is charged with making it sound good, and living there. I certainly hope no one moved here on the advice of THAT column.

Archived