Chickens On White Oak Dr.

I googled pics of those breeds you named and I think that's what I saw.

The brownish red ones were probably Rhode Island Reds, and the white one sounds like a fancy breed, maybe a Cochin?

(I have a degree in Animal Science from a state university with a chicken as a mascot, I should know my chicken breeds) :P

And here's a "real" Blue Hen. The university kept a flock on the research farm. Obviously, this is a rooster, but they're all called "hens".

history_hen.gif

And to maybe get back on topic, not the kind of chicken you're likely to see in the Heights.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, but I had to stop headed eastbound on White Oak Drive this morning around 9am to let a couple of chickens (roosters?) cross the road southbound, headed for Jimmie's parking lot.

Have chickens been wandering wild on White Oak Drive for years, and I've simply never noticed them before?

[Edited to add topic description]

Those would be free range chickens. :)

This is not Heights related, but it is about inner-city livestock. Friday, after the thunderstorms, there was a pig loose in Montrose. I'm not talking a pot belly. It was an adolescent wild hog or boar; the kind that are not allowed in the city. I figure that it was somebody's pet and the thunder scared it from wherever it was being kept. This sucker could haul-butt and was freaking out the dogs and their walkers. Long story short, an off-duty HPD officer cornered it and pounced on it and took it away to be released into the wild.

OINK - SNORT!

rsb320... I wonder if the officer was with internal affairs?

i kid, i kid.

He was working an off-duty job for South Hampton security patrol. I asked how he was called and he told me "The guys know I like this sort of thing".

I can hear it now on dispatch - Call officer _______, there's a pig loose in Montrose.

I guess if no one complains about the roosters waking them up then nothing will happen. :mellow:

Here come the deed restrictions question again. It's the poor fouls that end up dying when dogs get a hold of them. Maybe they can film a Chick Fil-fil-A commercial?

• The title was changed to Chickens On White Oak Dr.

Archived