Bethel Baptist Church At 801 Andrews St.

torvald

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I am pleasantly surprised by those renderings. That will truly be a great addition to the neighborhood.

Here's hoping the vagrants don't destroy it was spray paint and urine.

Yeah, glad it wasn't leveled like your suggestion.

• Like 1

Yeah, glad it wasn't leveled like your suggestion.

Considering it burned 7 years ago and was propped up with over $500k (and a tipped crane) 3 years ago, I stand by my view it should've been leveled.

This is a great rendering and if it looks as good as it appears and is able to be kept free of abuse and trash then I think it's a great addition to the neighborhood. Don't know if it's worth the $2.5MM+ bill, but I like it. It just took a heck of a long time to get to this point, as I'm sure you would agree. I'm man enough to admit when something turns out different than I anticipated, but don't pretend like the steel beams blocking Andrews St for three years were some sort of "welcome addition". There's been a LOT of money thrown at this structure and we're just now seeing what the end result will be.

Edited by TonyM

• 5 months later...

Any update here? Thank you.

Construction seems to have slowed a little bit.  Work crews were going gangbusters before the New Year, there every morning 6:30/7:00, but not much visible progress the last month or so. 

Appears much of the work has been going into stabilization of the remaining church structure/bricks.  To me it doesn't seem like it'll be ready in March but that's just based on the recent slow pace I've noticed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They have completed the fortification of the new concrete liner on the inside of the walls and taken down all of the scaffolding that was there. Obviously they are still way behind schedule but it is still progressing.

Edited by kbates2
  • Like 1

Obviously they are still way behind schedule but it is still progressing.

Seems to be so but we'll have to see how quick they get on to that light steel erection in the renderings.  That work goes pretty quick most of the time.  Still think there's no way it gets done by end of April but we'll see . . .

• 6 months later...

wow. today is the first ive heard of this park and i have to say im impressed with Houstons vision on this project.. it makes me wonder why they dont make more efforts to conserve other old historic buildings instead of tearing them down for something new. Houston doesnt exactly have the greatest track record for preservation so this project is a pleasant surprise and hopefully the start of a new trend in this city.
the park looks great! ill have to check this out in person when its finished.

• 2 weeks later...

JbTksY8.jpg?1

16WFYgz.jpg?1

Ubmkh3y.jpg?1

p5WEDqO.jpg?1

RNNsyJV.jpg?1

CNPHsFM.jpg?1

iFCMKqH.jpg?1

ryz6vPF.jpg?1

1zj0WQK.jpg?1

Figured I'd end it on this note.... this area is so nice.

qKGTabU.jpg?1

Edit: Realize there is a fence there but it was actually open. (Probably not officially open of course). A bunch of other apartment residents were walking through there and were admiring the project.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 5