Hilton Garden Inn Hotel Downtown

lockmat

Sort of off topic, but then again so's Mercer. Niche, how's the job search going?

I've been more or less self-employed since early January, as I've been heavily involved in the restoration of a commercial building and remodeling of my condo. They aren't salaried positions, but they do add value to my balance sheet and the condo sale will give me an infusion of cash. I occasionally put in a resume for an especially nice job, the kind I don't honestly expect to get. My toiling will probably slow in a couple of weeks, unless I can find a way burden myself with some other kind of real estate or construction work. I'll get serious about the job search soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Found this:

The Mathis Group, Inc. (TMG+), owners representatives, and Wedge Real Estate Holdings, Inc. (WREH) property owners, have awarded Cadence McShane Construction (CMS) as general contractors for the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Houston.

The project is located between Milam and Louisiana in Houston's Central Business District. It is anticipated to begin construction late 2009 or early 2010 and expected completion in approximately 16 months. The project is expected to be 12 stories, and is to include 242 guest rooms, meeting rooms, board rooms, fitness facility, business center, lobby, bar, restaurant and parking in a garage across the street. The hotel is adjacent to the existing Wedge International Tower in Downtown Houston. "This is such a great project for our client, Wedge Real Estate Holdings, Inc.," said Joseph Mathis, President of The Mathis Group, Inc. The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown hotel project will serve as the only mid-serve Hilton brand in the Downtown Houston market.

http://www.aiahouston.org/membersinnews.cfm

That's interesting and that's a good looking model;

The only block that is totally empty along those lines is the one at Walker and McKinney.

Looking at the the rendering, I don't think it can be done on a half block.

That's interesting and that's a good looking model;

The only block that is totally empty along those lines is the one at Walker and McKinney.

Looking at the the rendering, I don't think it can be done on a half block.

Its the block surrounded by Milam, Louisiana, Bell, and Leeland. The building on that block used to be a daycare for Enron employees, but its been unoccupied since Chevron took possession of the Enron buildings. They're probably buying that and tearing it down.

Edited by kylejack

Its the block surrounded by Milam, Louisiana, Bell, and Leeland. The building on that block used to be a daycare for Enron employees, but its been unoccupied since Chevron took possession of the Enron buildings. They're probably buying that and tearing it down.

I was under the impression that it was the parking lot adjacent to the Wedge Tower. There's plenty of room for it there, plus it'll cover up that 12+/- ugly parking garage wall at Wedge and will eliminate a surface lot. I think it's highly unlikely that Chevron will sell their (daycare) lot, especially seeing that their buying the land where the Y stands.

I was under the impression that it was the parking lot adjacent to the Wedge Tower. There's plenty of room for it there, plus it'll cover up that 12+/- ugly parking garage wall at Wedge and will eliminate a surface lot. I think it's highly unlikely that Chevron will sell their (daycare) lot, especially seeing that their buying the land where the Y stands.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure RSB is right. Ricco, the Garden Inn is only the 12-story structure at the front of the rendering. The Wedge International Tower is the taller structure in the background, I believe; so it clearly fits on one-half block.

Not too pretty, but it will do a decent job of covering up that part of the Wedge. Oh, and it's more affordable hotel rooms for the CBD. Win.

• 3 years later...

http://mathisgroup.com/pdf/JHM%20Hotels.pdf

At the bottom of the PDF, under the In Development Section, it lists a Houston Garden Inn- Downtown. 16 stories,250 rooms.

But it is not on the Hilton Garden Inn web page for upcoming hotels. http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/about/upcoming-hotels/index.html#?regionId=25&subregionId=70

I hope and pray they don't get rid of the "Savoy Houston" sign! That is such an awesome sign and should be refurbished.

I don't know what the legal aspects involved are regarding keeping the sign, and to some extent the name, but I agree I'd like to see the present sign incorporated into the refurbished building.

Whether it is a Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or Hampton Inn I would be pleased. Perhaps it could be called something like the "Hampton Savoy Houston." I guess the Savoy in London is the one being alluded to but downtown needs more medium priced lodging like the Hampton and Holiday Inn Express as well as high-end hotels.

I've stayed in each of those mentioned above within the last couple of years and found them all to be decent. Maybe those I stayed in were better than others (everyone has his horror stories). I'm not too picky but I wouldn't tolerate something that was not clean or uncomfortable and I certainly wouldn't recommend anything that was only marginal.

Edited by Specwriter

• 10 months later...

Great job finding all these updates. Do you know where this Hilton Garden Inn is going?

Seems like a lot of projects that were left for dead have been revived. This is still the lot adjacent to the Wedge Tower correct?

Yep, the lot next to the Wedge Tower. On the first page, there's a rendering of what the project was proposed to look like in 2009, but it's possible the project will feature a new design.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Savoy's renovated facade is such an improvement. I was in Chicago recently and stayed in a nicely redone hotel of about the same vintage - it can be a very cool, retro experience when done well.

post-12156-0-53515000-1399754911_thumb.j