Post Oak Shopping Center At 1703-1751 Post Oak Blvd.

ug. 28, 2004, 3:33AM

Galleria area back in favor

With toll road and cheaper rent, area is becoming attractive again

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Despite the traffic snarls caused by freeway construction, the Galleria-area office market is edging back in favor with tenants.

ADVERTISEMENT

According to a space demand survey conducted by PM Realty Group, a Houston-based real estate services firm, more than 58 percent of the respondents said the Galleria area is one of the top three office markets deemed most attractive to tenants. Downtown and Westchase were also cited as top markets.

That's almost double what was reported last year, said Doug Little of PM Realty, which surveyed the top 20 commercial realty firms in Houston.

"The existing construction is not as bad as people thought it was going to be," said Little. "People are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Over the past several years, large tenants have moved out of the Galleria area in favor of the high-profile central business district or the suburbs of west Houston.

Office buildings in the market are 24.7 percent vacant, including space available for sublease, according to Cushman & Wakefield, a brokerage firm.

But as the traffic starts moving a bit more freely, helped in part by the new Westpark Tollway, tenants are giving the area a second look.

The Galleria's reasonable rental rates and large blocks of space also help, Little said.

The survey revealed other statistics:

• Like 1

Hopefully it will be a nice development, like some of the Gables in Dallas. We are Houston- we can do better than them.

• 4 months later...
I know a new retail center, aka strip mall, is being built on West Alabama and Sage. However, there is other construction going on as well so not sure which you are referring to.

There is one of those high-rise construction cranes probably about 6 stories tall that just went this weekend. It is red and white colored. I wish I could be more detailed, but my office is about 1/2 mile away.

It is next to the Bali-Hai Tiki Modern apartment complex. I am very concerned for their future. They have some great details like real bamboo trim around the doors and windows and the most awesome gas fired tiki torches. This era of architecture will be completely lost soon.

It is next to the Bali-Hai Tiki Modern apartment complex.  I am very concerned for their future.  They have some great details like real bamboo trim around the doors and windows and the most awesome gas fired tiki torches.  This era of architecture will be completely lost soon.

Does Houston Mod know about it? At a minimum it would be nice if places like this could be preserved in a photo archive for posterity.

Is it going to replace the Bali Hai? I'm amazed that complex has survived this long. Too bad the owners didn't take better care of it... go a few blocks north on McKee Street and look at the magnificent Marquee and Marquee West apartments (they're googie, but not tiki) and how well they have held up.

I think there are still a few tiki structures left in town... somewhere.

To Sooner&RiceGrad:

The crane that was brought in is overkill for the kind of construction needed for the picture you have placed. While the design is still a mystery to me, it will definitely be taller than 5 or 6 floors. I'm thinking on the order of 8 or 10 for this facility.

Astro:

The Hilton Motel will not replace the Bali Hai but it will be just south of the Bali Hai. The Bali Hai complex is a fine and skillful example of the combination of Modern and Tiki styles. This is far more sophisticated than most of the complexes shown in THE BOOK OF TIKI by Sven Kirsten. The Bali Hai has true swank value but has not been maintained very well.

It is a risk to build theme oriented residential buildings and nobody is brave these days. Everything is safe and boring now. The Hilton Motel looks completely devoid of any architectural value. And that style eight or ten stories will be a perfect match for the other newer apartment complexes in that area......WRETCHED.

As for the Googie Apts, you must mean McCue Road. McKee is downtown. Looks like the Marquee Apts are listed at 2306 and 2525 McCue in an old directory.

There is another collection of well maintained MOD apartment complexes on Del Monte at Sage.

• 2 months later...