New Downtown Toilet

i got this email showing a new public toilet supposedly in downtown houston, that's made entirely of two-way glass. so when you're inside, you can see out.

i looked it up online and found another forum discussing it, with the same pictures that were in the email. does this actually exist in houston? where is it?

houston public toilet discussion

houstoncleartoilet.jpg

houstoncleartoilet2.jpg

This does not exist in Houston. Those were first installed last year (maybe the year before) in Europe but there are no public toilets like that in Houston.

Late last year there was an article that the Downtown Management Association was considering putting some pay toilets in on Main St., and that Main St. was plumbed to accomodate the eventual installation of them when the street was rebuilt for MetroRail. However none have been installed to date.

i got this email showing a new public toilet supposedly in downtown houston, that's made entirely of two-way glass. so when you're inside, you can see out.

i looked it up online and found another forum discussing it, with the same pictures that were in the email. does this actually exist in houston? where is it?

houstoncleartoilet.jpg

houstoncleartoilet2.jpg

Respekt!! I'd be kinda shy and paranoid doin' my thang and watching the world around me at the same time. :-)

houstoncleartoilet.jpg

houstoncleartoilet2.jpg

Too many people downtown to be Houston LOL!

j/king!

that's what i thought, i remember them talking about putting in really expensive self-cleaning toilets last year, but i didn't think anything had been put in yet.

interesting there's an email going around saying they're in houston.

What happens at night, Two way glass is useless when it gets dark unless there is no light withing the facility.

I think it is like the windows they use in all those cop shows. You know what I mean, there is the bad cop berating the witness while the DA and the Good Cop watch attently. If it is good enought for a cop show it is good enough for me to pee.

Yes,

if you turn the light on where the DA and good cop are, the window is no longer a mirror, you can see through the mirror.

That's why the DA is always in the dark when they are behind the mirror.

^  Not necessarily true.  There is a small chain of sandwich shops here in Oklahoma that has one-way windows in their bathrooms.  You can look out from the bathroom, but not in.  And of course, both sides are lit.  Nobody is lurking in the shadows.  ;-)

That is awesome. That way you can see who that pesky idiot is who can not figure out that somebody in there.

^  Not necessarily true.  There is a small chain of sandwich shops here in Oklahoma that has one-way windows in their bathrooms.  You can look out from the bathroom, but not in.  And of course, both sides are lit.  Nobody is lurking in the shadows.  ;-)

if both sides are lit, it will always work. but if there is light in the bathroom, and none outside, you will be able to see in. a two-way mirror relies on light on the outside so someone looking in sees the reflected light.

i'm assuming they would have to keep the outside lit with extra lighting at night. or maybe they've developed something that works differently.

the men's restrooms at aquarium on 6th street, austin, have two-way mirrors as well.

The real question here is the toliet paper 1 ply or 2 ply! ;)

I mean if you are going to have a shiny potty...you might as well have the best of the best.

Egyptian cottony 2-ply toliet paper.

:P

Cha Cha Chaarmin! :P

It doesn't make any sense at all to have these in Downtown. Think about it. Do you actually think that it will be kept clean? Just to the bathroom at work. People throw just about anything into the toilet, clogged most time. people dont' flush, or idiot peeing on the floor. Can you imagine the filth? This is downtown, you get all sorts of crazy people.

Most modern pay toilets are fully automated and clean and disinfect themselves between uses. I've used some in San Francisco that were MUCH cleaner than most restrooms in office buildings and restaurants.

And why is it that people can be so disgusting in bathrooms in workplaces?!? Do they do that stuff at home too?

We have two bathrooms in my apartment. I let my wife have the one in the master and I take the guest. I'm a clean-freak and shes a train-wreck, so I took the guest so that it would always be clean for myself, but more importantly, any impromptu company we might have.

Well my father-in-law comes in once every two weeks and turns my bathroom upside down. He leaves the toilet seat up, leaves his towels on the floor, toothpaste stains in the sink, and soap chunks all over the shower. I always wondered where my wife got it from.  <_<

The point is that I agree Sully's concern over peoples' bathroom manor - or complete lack there of.

I agree will Sully too, don't get me wrong. But Houston, if ANY Houstonian leaves their towel on the floor, soap chunks all over the stalls, or leaves toothpaste stains ANYWHERE in these funky-windowed bathrooms downtown, then we got issues....

We have two bathrooms in my apartment. I let my wife have the one in the master and I take the guest. I'm a clean-freak and shes a train-wreck, so I took the guest so that it would always be clean for myself, but more importantly, any impromptu company we might have.

Well my father-in-law comes in once every two weeks and turns my bathroom upside down. He leaves the toilet seat up, leaves his towels on the floor, toothpaste stains in the sink, and soap chunks all over the shower. I always wondered where my wife got it from.  <_<

The point is that I agree Sully's concern over peoples' bathroom manor - or complete lack there of.

....I thought it was the wife's job to complain about the toilet seat being left up? :lol:

Well, thats the one thing she does in her bathroom. But if she could pee standing up, trust me, she'd leave it up. What sucks is that I was raised to put things back as I found them. From your campground in the woods to the toilet seat at home, its not different. Besides, it would be one thing if it were his bathroom and he left if up, but its not his bathroom. for $300 dollars a month however, I wouldn't really care. But he doesn't pay the rent so...

:unsure: hey, when you gotta go...

27, I'm a neat freak myself. My parents are the opposite, and growing up they used to drive me nuts. My Mom would tell you that when I was in high school my bathroom was always the cleanest one in the house.

What really gets me is people that don't flush. To me that's the epitome of laziness. Come on, how much effort does it take to reach back there and push the handle down? And NOBODY wants to see (or smell) what you left floating in the toilet. I was so glad in my old office building when they renovated the bathrooms and put in new toilets with automatic flush, because we had several guys on our floor who felt the need to show off their "deposit" to the rest of the world, like they were some kind of animal marking its territory.

Or even worse, at night some homeless (or drunk) guy thinks that he can pee on on the outside while you're in there.

Or worse, you realize that the special room isn't a room at all. It's a toilet sitting at a street corner that's waiting to be delivered someplace :huh: I'm sure that's happened to EVERYBODY before. What? Only me? damn.....

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the curse is that we will forever have to endure Channel 2's "shocking", but poorly researched Big Sories. Their favorites seem to be the reinforcement of suburban fears of all things Houston.

Get a life Channel 2....better yet, get a news department.

(Sorry for the off-topic rant)

Archived