Bayou Bubbling Button

RWReagen

Sorry if this has been brought up before...

I am curious about a mystery secret button:

It was found in a brick structure on the theatre side of the bridge on Preston st at the NW corner of the Wortham Theatre. You can walk inside this structure and on the left hand side there is/was a metal plate with a button. Several years ago I happened upon this thing and of course had to press the button. Down below in the bayou there was a big rumbling gurgling noise and then a fairly large surfacing of bubbles out in the middle of the water.

Does anyone happen to know what in the world this is? I think it was a really cool hidden surprise and enjoyed it. I have not been able to see if it still works but might be able to get over there at lunch this week and get a better picture.

I have included a screen grab from Google Street View buts its not too good.

post-7218-1230580637_thumb.png

Does anyone happen to know what in the world this is?

To question the button is to trivialize its mystery and greatness. Do not ask why the button is. The button is simply there for us to enjoy. The button should not have to explain itself.

Also, there was a Best of Houston award given out to the button a few years back. It won Best Secret.

No night in the Theater District is complete without a stroll over to the Magic Button, a big red disc hidden in a tower on the Preston Street bridge. Push it, and you'll hear the sound of water being released into Buffalo Bayou. Now, we could make some phone calls and ask what the deal is, and then somebody or other could tell us that it was included by the architect to give the area a sense of whimsy, but where's the fun in that? Instead, impress your date with a story about the wizard who lives beneath the water or the ancient sewage treatment plant built by a long-forgotten race. Anything's better than the truth.

http://www.houstonpress.com/bestof/2006/aw...-secret-198218/

I think it is part of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership's public art projects. There's a geocache along the Preston bridge too called "Bubbles the Bayou Monster."

Hm, I'm not sure. You can hear a giant air/water release coming from the Wortham Building. I thought it might be some process needed by the Wortham Building. Not sewage obviously, but maybe runoff water that needs to be jettisoned periodically or something. If you stand around long enough, you'll see the process trigger by itself without anyone pushing the button.

Do not question the Button! Do not presume to know the nature of the Button! The Button demands obedience, and frequent pressage! (Please note, the button will only work in >60 second intervals.)

The bayou seems to pass gas in several places; spend some time at Allen's Landing and you'll notice streams of bubbles randomly rising to the surface.

Perhaps this was the inspiration for The Button. Or maybe The Button allows us the fantasy of being a Cold War president, and seeing the explosive results in the distance...

Yeah, I love the button.

I took a video of the button in action for those who don't know about it:

It Farts? That's It? One can't part the muddy waters? I want a Moses button!

Hey Tillman, get in touch with the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. Oo! You could charge $8.00 per parting!

I miss the button, haven't pressed it in years. I remember first being shown it by a girl I was dating back in 02. Good times, good times. Need to venture back that way some time.

It seems like, in the video link above, the button was red. Today, the button is green. Urgh, everything's gone or going green. That's fine, but can't we associate an additional color as environmentally friendly?

It seems like, in the video link above, the button was red. Today, the button is green. Urgh, everything's gone or going green. That's fine, but can't we associate an additional color as environmentally friendly?

How can they change it?!?!? Red makes it seem dangerous. Makes it that much more fun to press!

I guess the other color they can use could be brown... Trees are also brown (the trunk part)... that do it for ya?

WHAT. This is an outrage. How dare they change the true nature of the button.

• The title was changed to Bayou Bubbling Button

Archived