History Of Schools In Aldine ISD

billyf

No real action on this thread in quite awhile. But in case anyone does happen to wander in here, I can give an update for anyone interested.

Aldine ISD is in the process of building what it calls the Aldine Heritage Museum, dedicated to the history of AISD schools and of the Aldine area. I was a small part of this project as items were being collected. I have seen pretty much everything related to Aldine High School that has been assembled. As a result, I have a pretty thorough history of the school which has enabled me to answer pretty much all of the questions posed in this thread starting a decade ago. I have donated copies of my finished books on the history of Aldine High and the Mustang football team to the museum. There's far too much to post here, but if anyone who used to post or comes across the thread now that it has been bumped up has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I've no idea when or if this museum will ever actually get off the ground. I'm no longer involved. But I do now quite a bit of really good stuff was donated. I hope they do ultimately build it. If I learn any more, I'll be sure to post it here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2009 at 5:05 PM, cosmic08 said:

That is very interesting. If anyone on here would know, it would prob be Firebird 65. Maybe something would turn up if you google the address?

The old school building referred to at the corner of Aldine Westfield  & Aldine Bender was last known as Ellen B. Lane Center.  It has been torn down within the last year, much to my dismay.  I can only hope the cornerstone was saved.  I can remember some of the words, and to the best of my memory it said Common School District 32.  I went to Aldine schools Mendel Elem., Hambrick Junor High, Aldine High one year, then to MacArthur High when it opened in September 1966. I also worked for Aldine as a bus driver for 28 years. I am currently searthing for more history of Aldine, even though I lived much of it.

• 5 months later...
On 2/5/2017 at 2:42 PM, Jes-c/o68 said:

The old school building referred to at the corner of Aldine Westfield  & Aldine Bender was last known as Ellen B. Lane Center.  It has been torn down within the last year, much to my dismay.  I can only hope the cornerstone was saved.  I can remember some of the words, and to the best of my memory it said Common School District 32.  I went to Aldine schools Mendel Elem., Hambrick Junor High, Aldine High one year, then to MacArthur High when it opened in September 1966. I also worked for Aldine as a bus driver for 28 years. I am currently searthing for more history of Aldine, even though I lived much of it.

I had a nice reply on the history of the building, but the site locked up, and I ain't retyping it unless I know someone is going to read it. Nevertheless, to briefly answer your hope above, yes, the cornerstone and several bricks have been saved. They will be part of the AISD Heritage Museum. I am attaching a picture I took of the cornerstone a few years ago.

1932-33 Buildings - Marrs School Cornerstone in 2015.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party but I came across some old friends from Carrol via Facebook and it got me thinking about the good ole days. I attended Inez Carrol from kinder through 3rd grade. We moved to oak ridge once they announced the opening of the new intermediate and was determined we would be bused to it rather than be allowed to go to Stovall 

Ive enjoyed reading these messages and seeing the pics. I started Carrol in 1980. 

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I don't know if you are are still following this. I am a teacher new to Aldine Middle School and have been reading this thread. I have been taking tons of pictures because I'm a history buff. 

If you are interested, I will share what I have and the information that I uncover.

• 8 months later...

This is too cool! I also went to Inez Carrol from 1979-1984 or 1985. I grew up on Mosher Lane, just South of Halls Bayou. 

I learned last month that they demolished the house I grew up in.

I was saddened to hear that they demolished the school years ago. I've got a lot of memories from Inez Carrol.

- Derek J Holak

On 6/10/2010 at 1:28 AM, billyf said:

I know I'm a little (ok a lot) late replying to this. Our second grade class was shared with another class (so two teachers) and was on the first hall when you walked in the front of the school. I never knew it was a "newer" addition until I viewed these aerials, but it makes sense now. These were the only classrooms that had indoor hallways in the school. These classrooms had natural gas heaters whereas the older wings had radiators (later removed). Neither was used when I was there as they used the same system for heat as they used for cooling. Each classroom in the school had these big, noisy belt driven Mcquay air handlers on the ceiling. These were common in many Aldine ISD schools built before the 1970s. There were no thermostats so when the cooling system was on you froze and when the heat was on you sweat. We use to have to open the windows at times it got so bad.

I remember the stage in the cafeteria well and yes with no windows it could get very dark in there. I still remember that smell of bread and chocolate milk when you walked in. Oh and those orange 1960s walls. They removed the tray washing machine when I was in the second or third grade for some reason. I remember they use to tell us to keep the food on the tray when we put them in there and I thought that was odd. I still remember that sanitizer smell and the steam. After they removed the tray washer they started putting the food in a separate trash can from the milk cartons. I think they sold the left overs to pig farms. I joked once to the lunch lady that they reused it for us. lol

The hall and grade setup was the same when I was there. I never knew any fifth graders there. I think there might have been a class or two, but in my neighborhood the 5th graders went to Bethune near Acres Home. I was at Sweetwater Christian in the 5th grade so I never went there. My bus driver was Mrs. Pride and she drove route 114 from the 70s till the late 90s.

I went to Inez Carrol up to the 4th grade. I do not remember a 5th grade there at Inez. After Inez, I went to Bethune and my parents were not happy about that at all. 

I do remember Mrs. Pride, the bus driver. She was a nice woman

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2008 at 12:06 AM, billyf said:

No this school was located between W MT Houston and West RD and between Airline and Sweetwater at 222 Raymac. At far as I know this this area is not in the 100 year flood plain (very close though). It became W T Hall High School after they moved the elementary school on Gulf Bank. Not sure when W T Hall moved as I no longer live on the northside.

• The title was changed to History Of Schools In Aldine ISD
  • 1 year later...
On 5/21/2019 at 3:55 AM, Holak said:

This is too cool! I also went to Inez Carrol from 1979-1984 or 1985. I grew up on Mosher Lane, just South of Halls Bayou. 

I learned last month that they demolished the house I grew up in.

I was saddened to hear that they demolished the school years ago. I've got a lot of memories from Inez Carrol.

- Derek J Holak

Unfortunately that area flooded bad in 2001 and it wasn't worth the money to repair as they had already built a new school off Gulf Bank and were using the old building for a magnet school. They area was hit really hard during Harvey as well. That might also be why your house got demolished.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, Firebird65 said:

Weird how this board was a rocking place when I was doing research of the history of Aldine schools and the local area. Now that I've found pretty much everything this is to find and can answer questions definitively, the board has dried up.

Well, specifically in this thread, it appears there were more than a few "hit and run" posters who only posted a handful of times after registering and then never visited the board again. 

• 3 months later...

I know I e said part of this before, so I'm sorry if I repeat myself.

I went to the original Inez Carrol on Raymac between 1979 till '84 maybe? I remember Mrs. Lawrence being the principal at the time. Some of the teachers were Mrs. Hubble and Mrs. Figaro. Mrs. Figaro was a sweet lady. That are has changed quite a bit. I used to live on Mosher Lane. My childhood house is now gone due to flooding in that area. I miss living there. I miss the friends who I used to hang out with as well. I wish I could find out what happened to my old teachers. I realize that most of them have most likely passed on.