"laws Of Chance" (abc Pilot) Location Shooting

Quiet a few celebs from Austin, too.

Did anyone catch the E! channel's "50 Steamiest Southern Stars" special last night? Texas came in at #1 with the most. But despite Houstonian Dennis Quaid being featured in the countdown and Beyonce coming in at #1, Jennifer Garner and Shannon Elizabeth both being born in Houston and Renee Zellweger being from just outside of Houston, there was no reference to Houston whatsoever on the countdown.

Are we like the Rodney Dangerfields of cities? lol! I really shouldn't obsess over this type of thing. It's just annoying, I tell you.

Plenty of references to Dallas and Austin. One Corpus Christi reference (Eva Longoria) and no San Antonio references.

I'm sure It'll be rebroadcast multiple times throughout the week. You know how the cable channels are. I think it's on late tonight.

I totally agree Houston not getting respect! Its SO ANNOYING how we get ignored except in drastic situations!

I forgot, Houston got one reference.

They had a couple of bumpers during the commercial breaks of people who were born in the south, but not raised, but were "too hot not to include": Eva Mendes was born in Houston (they showed the skyline), but she was raised in L.A. and Ethan Hawke who was born in Austin but raised somewhere else.

I forgot, Houston got one reference.

They had a couple of bumpers during the commercial breaks of people who were born in the south, but not raised, but were "too hot not to include": Eva Mendes was born in Houston (they showed the skyline), but she was raised in L.A. and Ethan Hawke who was born in Austin but raised somewhere else.

Brent Spiner from Star Trek was born here and raised here

Michael Dorn (Star Trek Actor Worf) was born in Luling, Texas (close to San Antonio) but raised elsewhere

Chase Masterson (Star Trek Actor) went to UT-Austin (and has family here in Texas)

Just ran across this by way of a search on HAR:

Da Vinci Court

They are townhouses in the 1500 block of North Main and apparently is the first project in the Hardy Railyard development.  They look very nice.

Has anyone been by there lately?  Are these already under construction?

Well, I just did the virtual tour on the website and it appears that some of them have already been built.  Is that correct?

Her Phylicia Rashad and the rest of her family is from Houston.

OldSettler_0150.jpg

Her oldest sister (the short one) Debbie Allen went to Jack Yates High School.

When I was living in England about ten years ago, the BBC aired a trashtastic cop drama, 100% shot in Houston, called Miller and Mueller. Despite the fact that it was in English, I think the show was a German production. Anyway, the premise was an American cop named Miller was getting a divorce from his American wife, who was also a cop. For some reason he was sent to crack a case in Berlin, where he met a hottie cop named Mueller, who he married while he was over there. He brought her back, and confusion ensued when he discovered that he was still married to Mrs Miller. And then he got shot like 50 times while he was on a rusty tanker in the Ship Channel and tumbled overboard into that nasty water. (Somehow he survived that -- I think he was lingering near death in the hospital through most of the show's run.) So of course the brass at HPD decided then to make Mueller and Miller partners...

It was terrible, but great location-spotting. Poe Elementary was in it -- for some reason pretending to be River Oaks Elem. That Mexican restaurant that was near Travis and the Pierce Elevated was in it too, but the main thing was that the director had a serious fetish for the skyline. It was in just about every shot that was filmed outdoors.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I think you're a bit off on your assumptions, starting with the fact that the main character is a woman. Lou Diamond Phillips is the lead cop. They're showing some of the places downtown as part of the pilot, like St. Pete's, Capital Grille and some other shots of areas you might be familiar with if you ever venture downtown.

Keep your fingers crossed. Hope it's a success!

[Laws of Chance" info from TV Tome:

"Laws of Chance" is based on the real-life exploits of Kelly Siegler and centers on a feisty female assistant district attorney in Houston who uses unconventional methods against the toughest old-boy Texas defense attorneys. Gary Glasberg (NBC's "Crossing Jordan") wrote the script and will serve as an executive producer.

Let me guess- I bet the "toughest old boy Texas defense attorney" has a real fake southern acent, strolls into work in a horned Cadillac, and his daddy was able to put him through college with the oil money he earned. Oh the law office will have saloon doors and a place to tie up your horse/donkey. That's what hollywood wants.

Ever see the downtown hotel they stayed at in Bad News Bears 2?

Does anyone believe it will be different?

Uninspired K-KON

Well, I think you're a bit off on your assumptions, starting with the fact that the main character is a woman.  Lou Diamond Phillips is the lead cop.  They're showing some of the places downtown as part of the pilot, like St. Pete's, Capital Grille and some other shots of areas you might be familiar with if you ever venture downtown. 

Keep your fingers crossed.  Hope it's a success!

Please give a source for your information, as tvtome.com states the following:

"Laws of Chance" is based on the real-life exploits of Kelly Siegler and centers on a feisty female assistant district attorney in Houston who uses unconventional methods against the toughest old-boy Texas defense attorneys.

No mention is made of Lou Diamond Phillips.

Beyonce graduated from HSPVA in 2000?

Wow!

I thought Beyonce went to Elsik High!

I DO know she went to Welch Middle School. During a segment for MTV she was dancing (like in a home video) and it showed her dancing in the same ugly cottony gym shorts I have. The blue shorts with the gold warrior or something.

where did you get your info from:

Patrick Swayze went to Lamar high

Beyonce went to Elsik High

Brent spiner graduated in 1965

Dennis was 1971 (my uncle was in the same class as him) -Bellaire high school

Randy graduated in the same class as my mom (1969) Bellaire high

school

Brent/Randy/Dennis had the same drama teacher. (Cecil Pickett)

Forgot to mention, the OTHER Houston set show, "Hot Property" is not on the fall schedule either. It was a potential sitcom for NBC, but didn't make it. I really wasn't expecting anything to come from that one because of the lack of information on it. I don't think they even had a cast. ABC's sitcom "Hot Properties", however, did make it. Same plot basically, but set in N.Y. It's ok. It's not like N.Y. ever gets any media attention, so let's let them shine for once.

By shows they mean pilots. And like imdb.com, anyone can submit information to TVtome.com. NBC released their official fall line-up today and "Hot Property" wasn't on it. ABC will officially release theirs tomorrow, but the early reports for it have 6 new dramas and "Laws of Chance" isn't one of those. I'm disappointed, too. Especially about LOC. As I mentioned before, I wasn't expecting anything to come of HP because any new information for it was nonexistent. There may still be hope for LOC as a mid-season replacement if one of the other shows flop (which they will). But then ABC will probably scramble to put a reality show on instead.

The best source for TV news is www.thefutoncritic.com. It all comes from the networks.

A while back I was reading about a show on thefutoncritic proposed for last season about a family who moves to a town oustide of Houston to participate in an experiment for NASA, but it never got off the ground, either. I don't think we'll ever have our "Dallas".

• 3 months later...
Just found this: Another Real Court Room show like "Texas Justice" to be taped at te KRIV Studios.

April 1, 2005, 10:10AM

City is home to hits and misses

By MIKE MCDANIEL

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines.

• 2 years later...

The closest thing is "Clash of the Choirs". It's a limited run reality series starting Monday on NBC. It's several singers representing choirs from their hometowns which will compete against each other. Kelly Rowland will represent Houston.

http://www.nbc.com/Clash_of_the_Choirs/

Here's a short video promo of the Houston choir:

http://www.nbc.com/Clash_of_the_Choirs/video/#mea=194568

Sounds like a good show if Kelly Rowland is invovled! Hopeful more shows will come to Houston in the future. I wonder how much a television studio would cost to build, like the one Tyler Perry just built in Atlanta and the place where House of Payne is taped?

Archived