What Happened On 104 KRBE?

midtown 4.2

I don't normally listen to 104 anymore, but happened to tune in Tuesday morning, and caught Maria Todd rant about about how a man had left her . . . I thought it was another failed relationship, but then put 2 and 2 together, and ralized that Sam Mallone might have left the show. Did something happen? What's the scoop? I searched the net, but came up with nothing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Story was in the Chronicle the other day. Sam Malone left suddenly while his contract was still under review, to everyone's apparent surprise, to go to KTRH and run a morning talk show. Turns out he's been to two Bush inaugurations, loves to talk about local issues and just couldn't handle playing another 50 cent song. Should be interesting, love to have somebody come in with something more interesting to listen to than Dan Patrick's CLOUT issue or Ed Hendee's anger at the world-at-large. BTW, I was talking with some people yesterday and mentioned Moby and Matthews that once ruled the airwaves, probably before most of you were even born, and wondered if the Matthews part was the same Jon Matthews from KSEV that got busted last year for indecency with a minor. Anyone?

March 28, 2005, 11:39PM

DJ Malone goes to KTRH; 'See ya, KRBE'

By ANDREW GUY JR.

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Talk about an exit. Sam Malone, half of the popular morning radio show on KRBE (104.1 FM), stunned listeners, co-workers and even his bosses with an on-air announcement that he will jump to Clear Channel-owned KTRH (740 AM) later this year.

KRBE officials assumed they were still in negotiations with Malone, whose contract recently expired.

"We did not know the resignation would take place on the air," KRBE general manager Mark Shecterle said. "He turned in an offer to our program director on Friday, but he decided to take another job with another company and announced it Monday."

Just an FYI.....kinda hard to believe after the CC bashing he was famous for?!?!?

I don't normally listen to 104 anymore, but happened to tune in Tuesday morning, and caught Maria Todd rant about about how a man had left her . . . I thought it was another failed relationship, but then put 2 and 2 together, and ralized that Sam Mallone might have left the show. Did something happen? What's the scoop? I searched the net, but came up with nothing.

Some of KRBE isn't bad but all they play now is hip/hop and r&b. I guess Mix 96.5 is my new radio friend! (Sorry folks I can't afford satalite even for $10 a month some of us on a budget see it as unnecessary expenses)

Some of KRBE isn't bad but all they play now is hip/hop and r&b. I guess Mix 96.5 is my new radio friend! (Sorry folks I can't afford satalite even for $10 a month some of us on a budget see it as unnecessary expenses)

That is the ClearChannel's plan. Make the radio so lousy so much that adults will migrate to satellite radio.

Houston radio is disgusting.... everything sux. everything. minus NPR, NewsRadio, and The SportsAnimal.

I even resorted to Radio Disney for a while and went back to KRBE. I can't stand ANY morning shows! I mean wtf is so funny at 5 AM? They are always laughing. I mean if I got paid to laugh on the air I guess I'd be smiling and cracking up too. I heard KRBE DJ's complaining about paperwork that a DJ out on a field would have to do later (Boo-hoo whoa is me, they get paid to talk for 3-4 hours and then go home)

Seriously I can't stand that! I mean some of us work longer hours and do paper pushing all day!

Houston radio is disgusting.... everything sux. everything. minus NPR, NewsRadio, and The SportsAnimal.

i don't think houston's radio is that bad. my major comparison's are st. louis, orlando, denver, dallas, and austin.

i really enjoy 104.9 and 106.9, and 97.5 is proving to play some good music, and i have my 6-disc changer so i have no desire for satellite.

in denver i had XM in my rental for a week, and i was very disappointed, not sure if it was what i was subscribed to or what, but i would never pay for that.

there were no hip hop stations and two nascar stations. why would you possible need two nascar stations? and there were commercials (for XM!) and it would cut out under bridges and even when i was getting gas.

the eighties station was good, but not much different from 106.9.

sorry, a bit off topic. i have no idea what happened to sam malone, my commute is nice and short :P

That is the ClearChannel's plan. Make the radio so lousy so much that adults will migrate to satellite radio.

Contrary to popular belief, Clear Channel no longer has any interests in XM Radio.

They did hold some stock and provide some programming in the beginning, but let go all of their holdings sometime last year I think.

I don't have a link handy though.

Pineda, to answer your question, yes it is the same Matthews that used to partner with Moby in the Morning waaaay back when. Lovely, eh?

I switch back and forth between Pat Gray and Walton & Johnson. I have never been a KRBE morning fan.

Houston radio partially sucks. The Clear Channel part blows. But, what can ya do? Someone had to pass that stupid law that allowed for more than one station to be owned by a company (or however that went).

Personally, I thought it would only be a matter of time before he would switch to talk radio. He has a tendency to rant on air about politics and local issues. A few times his rants turned his show into a talk show for the entire day.

I liked Sam Malone, he's funny, but last thing I wanted on that particular station was a political rant. If I want political humor/rants, I'd listen to Glen Beck.

Ricco

The guy (Sam Malone) personally drove me batty. His act coupled with his annoying laugh would actually make me angry if I listened to him for very long. I guess eveyone is different, but I could never get into his show. I personally think Phscyo Robbie should be canned immediately. That guy was the ultimate in lame.

i listened to sam malone when i first moved down here and thought it was pretty good but then KRBE's rotation started to turn to crap and finally i stopped listening altogether.

for such a big city, houston's radio is horrible but then again, i'm not into hip-hop, R&B, latino/tejano or right wing banter on AM.

i listened to sam malone when i first moved down here and thought it was pretty good but then KRBE's rotation started to turn to crap and finally i stopped listening altogether.

for such a big city, houston's radio is horrible but then again, i'm not into hip-hop, R&B, latino/tejano or right wing banter on AM.

Right there with you. I'm not into Hip hop/R&B/Tejano or any spanish music. I am constantly flipping dials between Mix 96.5 and (sad to say) Oldies. I mean back in the day I did actually listen to Rock 101 (I remember the awesome billboard on Westheimer) and Krbe (WAY back in the 80's!) oh man in the 80's they played so much music my brother and I had fun playing "DJ" where as we'd record songs on our stero, turn down the volume and start "fake" contests and the weather, etc...(we were young and bored but it was fun!) Now it seems KRBE is more R&B (I think) then anything and I am constantly changing the dial. I mean get this they promote on their website "Listen to us live" and when you click it you are redirected to the main page. Does it NOT work? (the website "live on air")

This is also what I hate. The country station (forgot which one) is promoting how many more commericals another country station. (Who the F--- cares!) Then in one ad there is a woman saying, "I listen to (insert radio station here) because they don't talk all over the music and talk bad the other radio station" I was thinking, "uh lady you just did talk bad about the other radio station. They repeatly play more older songs now too. (or more likely slower songs sitting in traffic) -play something upbeat while sitting at the ridiciously LONG light at Alief Clodine/Dairy Ashford. (After all the green light is only 3 seconds (going down Dairy Ashford) while hardly any cars go down Alief Clodine! (sorry one of my annoyances I wish was fixed!

back on topic...I wish KRBE was like it was back in the days! When it was less talk and more music!

Some of KRBE isn't bad but all they play now is hip/hop and r&b
then KRBE's rotation started to turn to crap

Folks, that's becuase 104 plays Top 40.

And Top 40 is nothing bu hip hop now days for the most part. Hopefully things will change, becuase this 50 cent madness is killing the business.

Top 40 Chart:

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/hot100.jsp

I pretty much stopped listening to KRBE at all last summer, as the playlist was getting so bad, and I was getting tired of the political commentary by Sam Mallone. I used to like their morning show to a certain extent, but I just couldn't handle all the political comments. NPR has now become my morning choice. However, my clock radio is still set to KRBE for some reason (just never have changed it but usually turn it off right after it comes on) and when it came on this morning it sounded like Maria was carrying the show. I dawned on me then I hadn't heard Sam's voice most of this week. Then I come on here to find he had left the show. Oh well. I think talk radio might be a good career step for him; it seems like that's what he was more interested in doing anyway. Despite disagreeing with many of his political views, he's always seemed to be fair with callers who disagreed with him, and never insulting, which I like; so many talk radio hosts are just hateful to those who don't share their views.

As for the current state of Top 40 - it's all just trash now. Until the hip hop and rap is gone, I won't be listening much at all.

As for the current state of Top 40 - it's all just trash now. Until the hip hop and rap is gone, I won't be listening much at all.

i don't mind some hip-hop but the current mainstream stuff is absolute crap and that same crap has monopolized top 40.

I'm right there with you.. except for the old part :P I rarely listen to the radio in the mornings at any rate, I'd much rather listen to my own musical selections than sit around and complain about how horrible it all is.

Well, I'm kinda funny about rap. I like old-school stuff from when I was in high school and was blissfully naive about the lyrics. Eazy E, NWA, Run DMC, Beastie Boys. See? I'm pathetic. :lol:

Does anyone remember Paul "Cubby" Bryant? I was in NYC a few years ago and he was on one of their stations. He was always a nice kinda guy.

Does anyone remember Paul "Cubby" Bryant?  I was in NYC a few years ago and he was on one of their stations.  He was always a nice kinda guy.

Palu "Chubby" Bryant kicked ass! I heard him in NYC too, and he's still running it there:-) And the Houston radio was hot in the late '80s with KKBQ, 102, and Energy 96.5. Respect for bringing that up. For the record, I think Houston radio (especially 104 KRBE) was at it's absolute BEST between 1994-1995 during the Houston Rockets championship runs.

Now, I got a special treat for midtown 4.2 :-) Check dis out...

DJ Malone goes to KTRH; 'See ya, KRBE'

By ANDREW GUY JR.

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Talk about an exit. Sam Malone, half of the popular morning radio show on KRBE (104.1 FM), stunned listeners, co-workers and even his bosses with an on-air announcement that he will jump to Clear Channel-owned KTRH (740 AM) later this year.

KRBE officials assumed they were still in negotiations with Malone, whose contract recently expired.

"We did not know the resignation would take place on the air," KRBE general manager Mark Shecterle said. "He turned in an offer to our program director on Friday, but he decided to take another job with another company and announced it Monday."

Malone, 41, has been at the station for 12 years. He and sidekick Maria Todd brought their show to Houston from Buffalo, N.Y. The odd-couple duo soon became popular personalities, making appearances around town and on television.

Todd will remain with KRBE, and the station will conduct a national search for a compatible radio personality to replace Malone, Shecterle said.

At KTRH, Malone will be talking about events of the day.

"He's a passionate radio listener," said Ken Charles, president of programming for Clear Channel Houston. "He enjoys talking about issues. He was at both Bush inaugurations, for example. And then he's got to come home ... and play another 50 Cent record."

His show will be "personality-driven, where he can talk about anything from politics to the (Terri) Shiavo situation to Desperate Housewives to everything in between," Charles said. "I think it's a chance for Sam to explore other things in his life and other interests."

Malone cannot start at the station until his noncompete clause is met. His time slot has not yet been determined, Charles said.

San Antonio-based Clear Channel Communications is a powerhouse in radio, with more than 1,200 stations across the country. The company has eight stations in Houston and more than 100 in Texas.

The company made headlines last year when it decided to pull the plug on Howard Stern's sometimes controversial radio show. Stern took his act to satellite radio. His show will bow in 2006.

Charles said Clear Channel was looking to add to its cadre of talk-show personalities in Houston.

"I think every station would want Sam to work for them," Charles said. "And we're lucky to have him. I think he's going to do well."

Malone was not available for comment at press time.

"He's been good for KRBE for 12 years," he added. "I wish him well. But not too well.

and for the record, not only was this in the Chronicle, but it's also currently on 104's website:-) http://www.104krbe.com/djbooth/morningshow/djbooth.htm

or http://www.104krbe.com/djbooth/morningshow...djbooth_sam.htm

I still love Houston, though :-)

Trying to see if my friend would be interested in the job. She is SO PERFECT For it!

She has the looks (Even though not sure it counts on the radio)

Talent talking to musical celebs

She knows sports, current events, and what's happening in the world.

She has also done media broadcasting for one of the biggest stations in Canada (so that's a big plus)

oh yea and she's so personable and loves to talk! :)

Trying to see if my friend would be interested in the job. She is SO PERFECT For it!

She has the looks (Even though not sure it counts on the radio)

Talent talking to musical celebs

She knows sports, current events, and what's happening in the world.

She has also done media broadcasting for one of the biggest stations in Canada (so that's a big plus)

oh yea and she's so personable and loves to talk! :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 104 has to go out and hire a big name to replace Sam Malone. They will not hire anyone who does not have the experience. I also believe they will hire a man for the position and keep Maria as his sidekick. Fair? Probably not. Realistic? Yep.

Was anybody actually listening to the morning show the day Sam quit? I'd like to know exactly how he broke the news and how Maria took it.

I went to the Morning Show 12th yr anniversary celebration at the Grand Lux Cafe with special guest Ryan Cabrera, which was on March 26, so perhaps I saw Sam at his very last 104 public appearance? I liked him. Sorry to see him go.

Archived