Circuit City stores close for good Sunday March 8th

BryanS

The nation's second-largest consumer electronics retailer, behind Best Buy Co., plans to open 50 to 60 stores in the coming months in a new, smaller format that it calls the City. They'll be staffed with Generation Y employees carrying computer tablets to look up stats on any product in the company. Shelves have been cleared of merchandise with ho-hum sales to focus on blockbuster sellers. Computers, cameras and video games are all hooked up and ready for hands-on testing.

The staff recites such mottoes as "Keep it real" and holds twice-daily rituals of "shameless self-recognition."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/you...0,6471105.story

Sounds like a real winning format to me... The Gen Y employees in these stores (incl Best Buy) are bad enough as it is. Now they want to make that the center piece of their operations, in a smaller store, with less selection... So long Circuit City!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always prefered Circuit City to Best Buy but Best Buy appears to have them beat.

They moved their Humble location into the old Mervyn's at Deerbrook Mall. Grand opening was this past weekend.

The first thing I thought was "where are all the products".

But their video games on display were very nice. Same with the HD systems and living rooms.

I think you said it right there -- "a smaller store, with less selection... So long Circuit City!"

I gave up going to Circuit City because it simply never had what I was looking for. It's a great store for wandering around and killing time when you want to buy something, but don't know what. But if you know what you're after, both Circuit City and Best Buy are worthless.

Fry's is the place to go if you know what you want, though I was recently surprised to find that for some items like hard drives and printers the office supply stores like Office Depot have lower prices and sometimes a better selection.

That said, Best Buy is trying to open a store in my building, so if that happens I'll give it another chance to win my heart. But I don't see me ever going to a store formatted like "The City." The idea just sounds stupid.

I think this makes perfect sense, as long as they have it in stock in the back room. What's the benefit in having mountains of crud out on the shelves for people to dishevel and steal? Half the stuff is either bolted to the display or locked in a display case anyways.

Imbeciles; it is as if they are attempting to bring Service Merchandise back from the dead. It FAILED HARD for a reason, ya know.

I dunno, if done right this has a chance.

Most everyone shops online now anyways. Having a store that you can go to and actually pick up your merchandise immediately for the instant gratification factor might work.

Have a small display to show product demo's couldnt hurt either.

Service Merchandise lived in a different world, one without online shopping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Circuit City just fell out of the S&P 500, replaced by Philip Morris. Stock has declined ~80%, over the past 12 months. Now trading under $5/share. Tick - tock - tick - tock ... time is almost out...

Circuit City just fell out of the S&P 500, replaced by Philip Morris. Stock has declined ~80%, over the past 12 months. Now trading under $5/share. Tick - tock - tick - tock ... time is almost out...

Best Buy buy out?

Well... at the rate they're going, there may not be anything worth any value to buy out by the time it is all over. No one wanted CompUSA... or Service Merchandise!

Very true. We're probably looking at a few thousand empty shells then.

• 7 months later...

Texas stores closing:

4338 MCALISTER SQUARE 12640 SOUTH FREEWAY BURLESON TX 76028

4310 CEDAR PARK 1335 E WHITESTONE BLVD G CEDAR PARK TX 78613

3501 CENTRAL NORTH 10400 N CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY DALLAS TX 75231

540 SHARPSTOWN 7553 BELLAIRE BLVD HOUSTON TX 77036

4312 LEAGUE CITY 3270 S GULF FREEWAY LEAGUE CITY TX 77573

3809 MANSFIELD POINTE 1551 N HIGHWAY 287 MANSFIELD TX 76063

4248 MCKINNEY TOWNE 2050 WEST UNIVERSITY DR MCKINNEY TX 75071

3808 SHERMAN 4127 HIGHWAY 75 NORTH SHERMAN TX 75090

1611 TEMPLE 3310 SOUTH 31ST STREET TEMPLE TX 76502

Amazing how time flies. I remember we bought a frig at a Circuit City in West LA in 1989! They eventually came into Houston shortly after I think? Fry's cheap prices and availability of very rare DVD's help put them out of business I would say. Sayonara Circuit City! :)

Archived