Ike: State asks to use cruise ship for temporary housing

editor

• 3 weeks later...
That's just great. Seeing how generations of people have been calling Galveston Housing Authority facilities home for years, they might as well pull the engines out of this ship once it docks. It's here to stay.

1. I think it would be interesting to live on a cruise ship long term.

2. I don't think that Galveston will rebuild its public housing. In fact, we should have a minimum of public housing on the island and instead establish housing in La Marque and Texas City. Island Transit should be extended to La Marque and Texas City.

1. I think it would be interesting to live on a cruise ship long term.

2. I don't think that Galveston will rebuild its public housing. In fact, we should have a minimum of public housing on the island and instead establish housing in La Marque and Texas City. Island Transit should be extended to La Marque and Texas City.

why should La Marque and Texas City be forced to deal with that.....how about just get rid of the public housing

with the disease issues that pop up n cruise ships I am not sure they are hw best idea for long term living even though I realize many of those disease issues are because of a large mix of passengers from a number of countries being rotated through....I also feel that the small confines and cramped below deck quarters and probably smaller than normal ventilation system combined with a wet humid environment don't help for keeping communicable diseases in check

La Marque and Texas City have plenty of room inland. All we need to do is build more subdivisions. Galveston is totally full and can only grow upwards. Plus Galveston has the historic buildings that cannot or should not be torn down, so places to redevelop are limited.

why should La Marque and Texas City be forced to deal with that.....how about just get rid of the public housing

BTW, I somehow think that most of the people who voted for Obama in the past election would be against certain expansions of welfare that could be easily defrauded.

no thanks they belong in obama supporters back yards and spare bedrooms

BTW, I somehow think that most of the people who voted for Obama in the past election would be against certain expansions of welfare that could be easily defrauded.

so how is the money going to be taken from the selfish people that work hard to provide for their family and given to the unselfish people that do nothing to provide for theirs?

so how is the money going to be taken from the selfish people that work hard to provide for their family and given to the unselfish people that do nothing to provide for theirs?

Public housing is financed with taxes, just like with any municipal project. IMO the real way to determine how public housing is used is to craft proper rules and to enforce them.

What could work well as a replacement for Galveston public housing is homeownership. Have you heard of Corinthian Pointe? It is a subdivision developed that was purposefully sold at below market value: http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2006_4107813 - We could have several of these open in La Marque, Texas City, and Hitchcock.

Archived