Town & Country Village (Pre-Mall) History

IronTiger

My sister worked at the Sakowitz, a center piece of the open shopping acreage lay-out, in 1968-70. That store had a fabulous central entrance, with a large mosaic fountain as a focal point. https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2009/12/ever-shopped-at-sakowitz/ We bought our first puppy, in 1970, at a pet store which was located in the open air shops, just northeast of the former Joske's site. My school friend's parents owned the Mini-Max grocery on West Belt. I have a lot of fond memories from that shopping center, especially when it was in its first incarnation, though I shopped there when they added the 3 story enclosed mall in the 1980's, as well. You knew it was sadly going down hill, in the later 1980's when all they could offer, on the open space that once held the little shops, was a wet t-shirt contest. I was glad it revitalized into another multi-use shopping center as time went on.

Edited by detached

• The title was changed to Town & Country Village (Pre-Mall)
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Town & Country Village (Pre-Mall) History