Lamar Terrace

vstroud

I grew up in Lamar Terrace on Mcculloch Cir that is now St George Place.I lived there in the 70s and early 80s.I have a lot of memories and was wondering if someone had lived there around the same time and had some pictures or stories they could share or if any one know the history of that neighborhood.

• 8 months later...

I didn't live there, but know the area well and go by there very often.

My main recollection is hanging out behind some of the homes on the street behind the clubs - Cowboy's, Confetti, Rockz, R&R, etc.

And one of my best friends had a bad wreck in that neighborhood sometime back around 1983-84 timeframe (i think) and ended up partially paralyzed.

I grew up in Lamar Terrace on Mcculloch Cir that is now St George Place.I lived there in the 70s and early 80s.I have a lot of memories and was wondering if someone had lived there around the same time and had some pictures or stories they could share or if any one know the history of that neighborhood.

I know a little about your neighborhood. Several of my friends lived their. I grew up in Westheimer Gardens, the neighborhood across Chimney Rock from you. We moved away in 1971. Lamar Terrace had most of it's original owner's during that time. I had friends on McCulloch Circle, Navarro, Fairdale and Hidalgo. My family shopped at the Minimax grocery store on W. Alabama. There was a hardware store also in that shopping center. Of course, W. Alabama was originally Westheimer Rd. before the curve was straightened out and bypassed all these stores. There was a kiddie amusement park on W. Alabama at Yorktown across from the Lamar Terrace Shopping Center. It was called "Wee Wild West". I still have a couple of ride tickets that I will scan and post some day. There was also the Lamar Terrace Grocery Store on the SW corner of Westheimer and Chimney Rock. We called it the "Chinaman Store" because it was operated by a Chinese family ;) . It had wooden floors and was similar to a general store inside. Chimney Rock Rd. (Ave. D early on) was a two lane black topped road with deep ditches on either side. Homes on McCulloch Circle that had back facing garages to Chimney Rock had concrete or wooden bridges over the ditch. This ditch was deep enough to ride bicycles underneath the bridges in dry weather. I did several times. It was our urban version of mountain biking, 1960's style.

I can go on, but most people are yawning by now. I'll post more later.

My family lived in Lamar Terrace on Lampassas when I was born and then moved over to Larchmont across Richmond Avenue. Our house in Larchmont was on Lincrest at Barrington (se corner). My mother designed that house. We lived there until I was six years old (1965). It was a neighborhood for the up and comers. Many of the people moved from there to River Oaks, Memorial, Tanglewood, etc. It was a nice neighborhood for families. There was a horse that somebody kept.

I of course have no memories of the time on Lampasas, but my mother always spoke well of it. I think she really liked living there.

My family lived in Lamar Terrace on Lampassas when I was born and then moved over to Larchmont across Richmond Avenue. Our house in Larchmont was on Lincrest at Barrington (se corner). My mother designed that house. We lived there until I was six years old (1965). It was a neighborhood for the up and comers. Many of the people moved from there to River Oaks, Memorial, Tanglewood, etc. It was a nice neighborhood for families. There was a horse that somebody kept.

I of course have no memories of the time on Lampasas, but my mother always spoke well of it. I think she really liked living there.

You are correct about families moving "up" from Larchmont. I knew two that moved from Larchmont to Indian Trails in 1968 and a third moved to a part of Tanglewood behind Second Baptist in 1969. I continued to be friends with most of them until we moved on in 1971.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Lamar Terrace as a child. We lived in Kleberg from about 1956 to 1964. I went to Pilgrim Elementary from Kindergarten through 4th Grade. Oddly, lived in several house in the neighborhood: 5426 Kleberg, 5417 Kleberg, 5430 Kleberg, and an address on Lampassas that I can't recall. Memories: Walking to/from Pilgrim Elementary School until my parents let me ride my bike finally in 3rd grade. The paving of Richmond Avenue between Lamar Terrace and the school. Walking to the barbershop. Major's Coffee Shop. The Tango Lounge. Wee Wild West. A good and very simple life. My little friends Klent Allen, Chris Turner, Stewart Niefield, Mark Watson, Ray Chmelik, Sammy Goodrich. Older boys Buster Turner, John Davis Goodrich, and Bobby Thieme. I've got a few pictures taken when we were there. The original neigbhorhood is now all but demolished.

I lived in Lamar Terrace as a child. We lived in Kleberg from about 1956 to 1964. I went to Pilgrim Elementary from Kindergarten through 4th Grade. Oddly, lived in several house in the neighborhood: 5426 Kleberg, 5417 Kleberg, 5430 Kleberg, and an address on Lampassas that I can't recall. Memories: Walking to/from Pilgrim Elementary School until my parents let me ride my bike finally in 3rd grade. The paving of Richmond Avenue between Lamar Terrace and the school. Walking to the barbershop. Major's Coffee Shop. The Tango Lounge. Wee Wild West. A good and very simple life. My little friends Klent Allen, Chris Turner, Stewart Niefield, Mark Watson, Ray Chmelik, Sammy Goodrich. Older boys Buster Turner, John Davis Goodrich, and Bobby Thieme. I've got a few pictures taken when we were there. The original neigbhorhood is now all but demolished.

Mark watson? There was a Watson fam next door. Do you remember where he lived?

and you are right about a good and simple life back then.

We lived on Val Verde, and my aunt and uncle lived on Lampassas, My years were 1953-1957. It was my home when I was born. I remember our first television coming into the house there. My dad grew grapes in the backyard, and I remember the smell of my mother and grandmother making grape jelly.

I think we were the first owners of the house, likely a GI bill purchase. My mother loved that house, but it was small. When my sister was born we shared a room. I think I remember seeing the weather ball on a building downtown (conaco?) from my bedroom window. I remember wee wild west, and also a hardware-country store nearby, possibly in bellair though.

We lived on Val Verde, and my aunt and uncle lived on Lampassas, My years were 1953-1957. It was my home when I was born. I remember our first television coming into the house there. My dad grew grapes in the backyard, and I remember the smell of my mother and grandmother making grape jelly.

I think we were the first owners of the house, likely a GI bill purchase. My mother loved that house, but it was small. When my sister was born we shared a room. I think I remember seeing the weather ball on a building downtown (conaco?) from my bedroom window. I remember wee wild west, and also a hardware-country store nearby, possibly in bellair though.

Been in and out of this thread a few times.... was curious to any of you who lived in Lamar Terrace around 1982 - 1984 timeframe....

Any of you remember a bad auto wreck... believe it was a red corvette or red firebird... one passenger ended up being thrown into a ditch? Have no clue what street... but doubt there were too many wrecks like this in the neighborhood...

Been in and out of this thread a few times.... was curious to any of you who lived in Lamar Terrace around 1982 - 1984 timeframe....

Any of you remember a bad auto wreck... believe it was a red corvette or red firebird... one passenger ended up being thrown into a ditch? Have no clue what street... but doubt there were too many wrecks like this in the neighborhood...

I lived there from 1973 to 82 and saw several wrecks on our street.

• 5 years later...

Hate to bump a 5+ year old thread, but does anyone have a map of the old Lamar Terrace? As you know, the redevelopment demolished or reconfigured much of the original streets...

Try these. I have no idea if they cover everything you are looking for.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v077/AE1997_77-1_0067.jpg

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v077/AE1997_77-1_0066.jpg

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v077/AE1997_77-1_0065.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Most of this land, Lamar Terrace, Larchmont, Westheimer Gardens, Glen Haven Estates and even the Westmorland Farms area was minded of it's topsoil well before WWII. The topsoil was used for grading the newer home develpoments like River Oaks closer in to town.

This left the exposed clay soils in that area prown to flooding. Drainage was improved somewhat in the early 60's but then overbuiling overcame capacity again in the 70's. Flat land is just hard drain, and without topsoil it's even harder.

Unfortunately, he didn't own the land, he just rented that land for his cow pasture.     My great grandparents settled in Bellaire in 1903.   I think he rented the Lamar Terrace pasture at least until the 1950s.

It always flooded there. When did your grandfather own land there?

• 2 years later...

Talk about getting to the party late......my parents bought our house in Lamar Terrace on Hidalgo in 1951. I was born in in 1952, so I went to Cunninham Elemtary on Gulfton and Rice for "kinnygarden" until TJ Pilgrim opened in 1957. Then I went to Rogers Jr H and Lee HS graduating in 1970. I was friends with Carl Chmelik, Paula Bryant, Cindy Schwab, Laura Beane, Judy and David Miller, the Polichino family, the Glos Family, the Skiba family, etc (the rest of the Hidalgo mob as well as kids on Navarro, Val Verde). There is a wonderful video taken at Wee Wild West on YouTube that will make you laugh and laugh. We moved from Lamar Terrace to Walnut Bend in February of 1967-talk about culture shock! I try to tell my husband and kids that Westheimer was a two-lane road and that "Highway 6" was made out of oyster shell. They don't believe me! Well, thanks for the walk down memory lane! 

• 5 months later...

Archived