The bright side of Ike

midtownuser

A real quilty pleasure: Downed hundreds of long over due dead tree removals.

My big gripe of the near East End's lack of calls to 311 to remove in advance and for free. Most everyone waited for this disaster to bring down hundreds of trees, unfortunately on homes/cars power lines, properties.

Guess the Lord used his own Asplund Tree Removal Company with his fingertip. Hee hee. :blush:

Many still tilt at dangerous angles above pedestrian and auto traffic yet no one speaks up...for shame.

I got to hang out with the Future Mrs. Bag a lot.

I finally finished "His Dark Materials". That's a great trilogy.

I read Patty Hearst's "Every Secret Thing".

I got to go downtown and have Doozo for lunch.

My electric bill better be smaller this month.

+1 on the tree thinning-out

Repaired power lines, poles, and grid components may hold up better to future storms, at least for a while.

Ditto on roofs and other structures.

Some Galveston development might be reconsidered, especially on the West End.

Lots of people understand what a hurricane is like now. Whether that leads to "unnecessary" evacuation, we'll see, but we'll probably see mandatory evacuation (and hurricane preparation) taken more seriously.

Getting to know some neighbors.

Losing a little weight.

Learning that I can "rough it" (within reason).

G! Hey! !

You're positive experience about sums up mine. Except for the roughing it part, which I've spent a disproportionate amount of my leisure time doing. I will say, my humid bathroom at home smelled much nicer than camp bathroom, even though my clothes were sticking to me the same way.

Here's a Good, Bad & Ugly.

1. Yes, plenty of firewood and mulch for next 100 yrs

2. The Convent across the way, dumped tons of THEIR tree debris on the outside of their property for all of us to have to see and tolerate, they blocked the drainage of ditches and gutter runnoff not to mention created a major FIRE hazard. Driver flicks a cig into that and its the great Houston fire. Local punks may do as a prank and all the embers fly directly into our hood. (If anyone knows that ph # where you can report illegal dumping it was featured recently on news KHOU 11?) I dont care if it is a convent they need to abide by the rules as we do. Fire Dept should fine them big time, its lined for blocks!

3. Its down right ugly. :angry:

Shame on you Mother Superior!

Here's a Good, Bad & Ugly.

1. Yes, plenty of firewood and mulch for next 100 yrs

2. The Convent across the way, dumped tons of THEIR tree debris on the outside of their property for all of us to have to see and tolerate, they blocked the drainage of ditches and gutter runnoff not to mention created a major FIRE hazard. Driver flicks a cig into that and its the great Houston fire. Local punks may do as a prank and all the embers fly directly into our hood. (If anyone knows that ph # where you can report illegal dumping it was featured recently on news KHOU 11?) I dont care if it is a convent they need to abide by the rules as we do. Fire Dept should fine them big time, its lined for blocks!

3. Its down right ugly. :angry:

Shame on you Mother Superior!

why don't you call khou 11 so they'll do a story?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently saw my electric bill (covers September 3-September 30) - and it was $22

I know that estimates were used, but what are they taking in to account? Previous usage of the same time last year? (minus the time without power?)

Centerpoint says:

The estimated meter reading will take into account the fact that customers were not using electricity during this time. The following month

• 2 weeks later...

Archived