The Great Grocer Race Who Will Be The First To Capitalize On The New East End

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, Frank Liu may still own that? A few years back there were rumors of a suburban-style strip mall. Latest is that the not for profit architecutral salvage Historic Houston has moved into some donated space in the remaining warehouse structures (with the murals). The Lockwood station landing is built and there's even benches. Kombat Krog on Cullen is still hanging in there. They've improved some and I now buy produce and they carry more white-people brands like Fage yogurt. I see many more college/20s kids moving into rentals in the area. Some early  yuppies from 10 and plus years ago moving out and on. A few new builds (crudely done faux craftsman,  but not as bad as the usual brother-in-law addition to grandma's house you see here) going in on empty lots. Prices still in line with when I bought high in 2007, for the most part.  The eastwood area is great. No regrets on settling here. And mercifully, the D&W has remained assclown-free. Lately when I'm in the Heights, and I feel like I'm in some forced lifestyle- zone of urban caricature, I really appreciate the east end. Keeping it real, as the shirts say,  at least for now.

Of course 2 more years and people will be saying that about the heart of the 3rd ward. Onward, urban lifestyle consumers!

Crunchtastic - thank you for the update. Very interesting stuff.

Re-reading this thread from the beginning seems inevitable that some lucky or progressive grocery store could be pivotal in the success of the changing neighborhood. I work with HEB all the time and could picture a very successful store of any kind in this hood!

There is the Walmart that's supposed to be going in at Wayside. Granted all they've done so far is tear down the old buildings and it's been sitting there for months with no activity. I'm not a huge fan of grocery shopping at Walmart, but I'll give it the old college try. At the very least it will siphon some people away from the HEB at Gulfgate which might make it easier to shop there.

• 5 years later...

I’m happy to revive a +5 year old thread as Combat Kroger is being renovated tonight. I went in today as a new east ender and I as happy they had half the stuff I needed, but didn’t live up to it’s name. There was a Mercedes and Range Rover in the parking lot. I am very interested in the spiritual apothecary across the street & Super Happy Funland.

yeah, I pop in that Kroger about once a week for various sundries. Sometimes I take the Range Rover, sometimes I take the Mercedes.

jk about the cars, but I do go there once a week for random stuff.

I am happy with the complete random demographic that I always see.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:30 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I’m happy to revive a +5 year old thread as Combat Kroger is being renovated tonight. I went in today as a new east ender and I as happy they had half the stuff I needed, but didn’t live up to it’s name. There was a Mercedes and Range Rover in the parking lot. I am very interested in the spiritual apothecary across the street & Super Happy Funland.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:24 PM, samagon said:

yeah, I pop in that Kroger about once a week for various sundries. Sometimes I take the Range Rover, sometimes I take the Mercedes.

jk about the cars, but I do go there once a week for random stuff.

I am happy with the complete random demographic that I always see.

Heard some rumors that the Krogers might be expanding and taking over the dollar store area next door. Has anyone heard anything like this?

On 7/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, intencity77 said:

Someone mentioned on Next Door that they spoke to the Kroger manager and they said after the Dollar General lease ends next door in two years that the Kroger will expand into that space. 

That's the rumor...Million dollar renovations have already started. 

41 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Has anyone been to the HEB in Gulf Gate? I was at the Home Depot there and decided to check it out. Had about 75% of the stuff I needed. I guess I’ll have to go to the one on W Alabama.

Yeah my wife hates going to the Gulf Gate HEB for that reason, as well as how crowded it gets. I don't mind it since I used to go there before the Montrose one opened up.

19 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Has anyone been to the HEB in Gulf Gate? I was at the Home Depot there and decided to check it out. Had about 75% of the stuff I needed. I guess I’ll have to go to the one on W Alabama.

Probably because GulfGate is just an HEB.  West Alabama is a "Market," their cross between a regular HEB and a Central Market.

I went to HEB at gulfgate about a month ago. There were quite a few fruit flies that had taken up residence in the produce section. Didn't tell a manager just walked out and haven't been back since.

This particular HEB never seems to be well maintained. Lots of clutter, and that makes it feel not so clean.

I'm perfectly happy with Fiesta. 

• The title was changed to The Great Grocer Race Who Will Be The First To Capitalize On The New East End?
  • The title was changed to The Great Grocer Race Who Will Be The First To Capitalize On The New East End

Archived