The Great Grocer Race Who Will Be The First To Capitalize On The New East End

Vertigo, I live in Broadmoor and, as I see it, the diverse residents and/or property owners of Broadmoor and the area around it aren't going to band together for anything until Hell freezes over.

Folks who live here should know by now that the Eastwood Civic Association welcomes members from Broadmoor and adjacent neighborhoods. That organization has repeatedly voiced our requests for better grocery stores and other retail establishments to the East End Chamber of Commerce. Somehow, the EECofC can't convince the big boys in retailing that this is anything other than a poor blue-collar area where hablamos solamente el espanol!

The old Weingarten building is owned by the Houston ISD and, by modern standards, the property it sits on wouldn't accommodate a modern grocery store and its required parking space. Building one with underground parking is too expensive an option these days.

Where is the "old Weingarten building"? is it the one on Telephone Rd.?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is the "old Weingarten building"? is it the one on Telephone Rd.?

Yes. It's a post-WWII (mid-century modern?) building that has been gussied up with a plaster finish and an iron fence. If I'm not mistaken, it used to have a basement "home store"...Vertigo probably remembers better than I, since my family moved out of Eastwood in 1956.

Vertigo, I live in Broadmoor and, as I see it, the diverse residents and/or property owners of Broadmoor and the area around it aren't going to band together for anything until Hell freezes over.

The old Weingarten building is owned by the Houston ISD and, by modern standards, the property it sits on wouldn't accommodate a modern grocery store and its required parking space. Building one with underground parking is too expensive an option these days.

Everything noted here is postively true. That HISD property has room for growth. There are adjacent streets in the nabe that have homes that need to be torn down. So there is room for expansion. As far as certain civic groups are concerned, I can state that some are more welcoming than others. We were very fortunate to have our Super Neighborhood meetings at the convent. In most cases attendees had to leave their arrogance at the door before meetings began and the sister in charge kept most in line. Kind of like Catholic School for adults. Hee hee. I was warned of a certain group but went to the meet anyway. Very, very nosey and obnoxious group only fixated on their specific streets and to hell with local nabes wanting to assist. I have known other long time residents that attempted to join in but these new arrival young ones wouldnt let you break in the loop. People become disenchanted and back away to fend for themselves. Same old cycle.

Back to topic though, I think that title Battle Kroger is hilarious, had never heard before. Good Lord its very dated, had numerous pals in High School that worked there and that was 1979! :mellow::)

• 2 weeks later...
Why is it called Battle Kroger? :)

Maybe because it looks like a war zone? I don't know. I've also heard Combat Kroger, Shotgun Kroger, and my favorite--The Kroger that Time Forgot.

I actually got disgusted there recently and sent a scathing email about the dustiness and overall dinginess of parts of the store. Believe it or not, I got a phone call from a corporate/regional rep or something like that who told me that I was supposed to be hearing from a manager...that never happened.

My complaints of that Kroger (other than the dirtiness) are the overall lack of selection of some items. You'd think they'd catch on that wheat hamburger and hot dog buns are popular since they sell out so fast, or that turkey-based items go pretty quick. Why do they insist on having one person working the register at night and two people counting drawers when there is a ling line of people? However, as Silverartfox said, they have seemed to be a little better recently--but that's like saying a person who went from having $2 to $5 is a little better off. They've got those screens everywhere, and they are carrying some more items, like apple cinnamon pancake mix and the California Pizza Kitchen personal pizzas.

But they would go a long way for me by simply cleaning or replacing those dingy ceiling tiles, keeping the dust off the products, having more staff working at night. It wouldn't hurt to modernize the interior signage either. Those simple items could go a long way to making it a better store, IMO. They don't have room for things like expanding the deli, expanding produce, or anything else requiring expansion.

Maybe because it looks like a war zone? I don't know. I've also heard Combat Kroger, Shotgun Kroger, and my favorite--The Kroger that Time Forgot.

I actually got disgusted there recently and sent a scathing email about the dustiness and overall dinginess of parts of the store. Believe it or not, I got a phone call from a corporate/regional rep or something like that who told me that I was supposed to be hearing from a manager...that never happened.

My complaints of that Kroger (other than the dirtiness) are the overall lack of selection of some items. You'd think they'd catch on that wheat hamburger and hot dog buns are popular since they sell out so fast, or that turkey-based items go pretty quick. Why do they insist on having one person working the register at night and two people counting drawers when there is a ling line of people? However, as Silverartfox said, they have seemed to be a little better recently--but that's like saying a person who went from having $2 to $5 is a little better off. They've got those screens everywhere, and they are carrying some more items, like apple cinnamon pancake mix and the California Pizza Kitchen personal pizzas.

But they would go a long way for me by simply cleaning or replacing those dingy ceiling tiles, keeping the dust off the products, having more staff working at night. It wouldn't hurt to modernize the interior signage either. Those simple items could go a long way to making it a better store, IMO. They don't have room for things like expanding the deli, expanding produce, or anything else requiring expansion.

I agree. That's why I also sent them an "nasty" email about that Kroger. Hopefully they'll listen. An upgrade is long overdue.

I strongly "urge" everyone reading this to visit the Flagship Kroger on 59/Kirby. When I enter I walk in with a confidence that it will be a pleasant experience and it always is!

The Polk local is an embarassment. Once you visit the Flagship you will never want to go back to that old, old, outdated Polk local. Yes, it is out of the way but well worth it. The entire staff at this store is so professional & know how to connect and make you feel welcome. Its like a 1st class flight but better.

Maybe that Polk Kroger should be on Crater Houston? I'll personnaly officiate the service, christen it whatever it takes. :)

I strongly "urge" everyone reading this to visit the Flagship Kroger on 59/Kirby. When I enter I walk in with a confidence that it will be a pleasant experience and it always is!

I think you must mean the Kroger at Buffalo Speedway and Westpark.

There isnt a grocery store at 59/kirby that i know of.

I think you must mean the Kroger at Buffalo Speedway and Westpark.

There isnt a grocery store at 59/kirby that i know of.

Why??? The Kroger on West Gray is much closer, and on a "reasonable" plot of bus routes. Clean, refined, excellent selection and produce.

But even the Kroger on Montrose puts Combat Cullen to shame. The two stores are of similar size, layout, and shape. Yet, the selection and upkeep at Combat pales in comparison to the Montrose location. It's the ultimate example of neglect and disregard.

• 3 weeks later...

That's just too far...

[/quote

The Lockwood/Harrisburg site (formerly Stewart & Stevenson) has been shopped for years for a grocery store.

Kroger would be a prime candidate with a Signature Store (and close the Krappy Kroger on Cullen & Polk) but they have

not been interested. WalMart's neighborhood grocery store looked seriously at the site, but then passed. There aren't

any other grocery chains left. HEB has their mega store in Gulfgate and has ditched the Pantry concept. My suggestion is

that everyone who would like a decent store to start contacting Kroger and put some pressure on them--the morons at

the Cullen/Polk store can't even pick up the shopping carts that are all over the neighborhood. Also, my understanding

is that the owner of the S&S property (Frank Liu) might be in some financial binds because of all the raw land he owns

in town--I hope that's not the case, but we'll see in the next year.

The Lockwood/Harrisburg site (formerly Stewart & Stevenson) has been shopped for years for a grocery store.

Kroger would be a prime candidate with a Signature Store (and close the Krappy Kroger on Cullen & Polk) but they have

not been interested. WalMart's neighborhood grocery store looked seriously at the site, but then passed. There aren't

any other grocery chains left. HEB has their mega store in Gulfgate and has ditched the Pantry concept. My suggestion is

that everyone who would like a decent store to start contacting Kroger and put some pressure on them--the morons at

the Cullen/Polk store can't even pick up the shopping carts that are all over the neighborhood. Also, my understanding

is that the owner of the S&S property (Frank Liu) might be in some financial binds because of all the raw land he owns

in town--I hope that's not the case, but we'll see in the next year.

I've spoken with Frank Liu recently, and I get the impression that any binds he is in is by his own choosing. For the S&S site, he really wanted to see pedestrian-friendly, mixed-used development to take advantage of the adjacent light rail station, but couldn't find anyone interested in that kind of project and finally had to settle for a CVS. However, a manager at the Cullen Kroger said that Kroger will be taking over the CVS site at that location and expanding their operations, which they've apparently wanted to do for years. Hopefully they give the whole place a serious facelift in the process. Honestly, I'd like to see that whole building razed and have something new built with a more modestly sized parking lot. I seriously abhor that parking lot.

I've spoken with Frank Liu recently, and I get the impression that any binds he is in is by his own choosing. For the S&S site, he really wanted to see pedestrian-friendly, mixed-used development to take advantage of the adjacent light rail station, but couldn't find anyone interested in that kind of project and finally had to settle for a CVS. However, a manager at the Cullen Kroger said that Kroger will be taking over the CVS site at that location and expanding their operations, which they've apparently wanted to do for years. Hopefully they give the whole place a serious facelift in the process. Honestly, I'd like to see that whole building razed and have something new built with a more modestly sized parking lot. I seriously abhor that parking lot.

What's the proposed time frame for this Kroger expansion? It would be nice to have something positive to look forward to in 2009.

Yes, seriously... is this just a "planning pipdream" or something that might happen before Censo dos mil diez?

Yes, seriously... is this just a "planning pipdream" or something that might happen before Censo dos mil diez?

Hmm, well the first person I talked to sounded pretty confident in the Kroger takeover. But I talked to several other employees yesterday, and nobody could give me a straight answer. However, an employee at the CVS said for sure that they were moving next year around June to the Lockwood/Harrisburg location. So something's going to have to happen to that old CVS. Maybe we should write some letters to Kroger to make sure they know there's widespread support for an expansion? If it was a nicer store, they'd definitely have a much larger clientele. Hopefully their business models incorporate store crapiness.

• 2 weeks later...

as someone who may have some infuence on what happens to that old, ugly car lot on lockwood and harrisburg, across the street from the old s&s. what do yall suggest for a business there? i was thinking a full service gas station, car wash, inspection, food mart type set up. any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

• 2 months later...

This may be more proof of this slowly starting to take place. I dipped my head into the CVS on Polk this past Saturday and they were having a moving sale. Not a closing sale--but a moving sale. That coupled with the new on HBG being nearly finished and voila, hopefully the Kroger changes will be soon follow!

UPDATE: The Cullen CVS moves to the new Harrisburg location on May 1!

• 3 weeks later...
This may be more proof of this slowly starting to take place. I dipped my head into the CVS on Polk this past Saturday and they were having a moving sale. Not a closing sale--but a moving sale. That coupled with the new on HBG being nearly finished and voila, hopefully the Kroger changes will be soon follow!

UPDATE: The Cullen CVS moves to the new Harrisburg location on May 1!

Nice, I figured this would be the case.

But what are we going to do about Combat Kroger??? Now they'll just have empty property attached to the already unimpressive store.

We've got to get Eastwood Civic and EaDo together so we can get a decent grocery store!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder how many of you in the Near East End got a red card in the mail yesterday?

Came from Downtown District.

Here is what it says:

Do you want a Downtown Grocery Store?

Please go to www.houstondowntown.com to fill out the DT grocery survey. It only takes 5 minutes - we're listening!

**This survey will be LIVE through April 26, 2009**

Says to tell your friends and neighbors!

Go for it! :D

Wonder how many of you in the Near East End got a red card in the mail yesterday?

Came from Downtown District.

Here is what it says:

Do you want a Downtown Grocery Store?

Please go to www.houstondowntown.com to fill out the DT grocery survey. It only takes 5 minutes - we're listening!

**This survey will be LIVE through April 26, 2009**

Says to tell your friends and neighbors!

Go for it! :D

heh, mine was green http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=20086

I voted once from home and once from the office. should I vote from other computers in the office too? hmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Took a tour of One Park Place last weekend (Side thought: what an expensive place! and you would not believe the low quality of the finishes! The washers are top loaders. I asked if I could bring my own much better washer and was told I could as long as I paid for the storage of the one they supply with the apartment)

Anyway, during the tour the woman mentioned that they are in talks with Whole Foods and Central Market to open a grocery store on the first floor. I can get organic food from the farmers markets so - if these are the choices - I would much prefer they get Central Market.

However, I think the best way to drive people towards downtown on weekends and after work hours would be a Trader Joe's, since it'd be the only one in the city (or the state for that matter)

• 8 months later...

I know I'm behind times again, but has anything happened to the Kroger on Polk? It's been several months since the last posts here......

There used to be a Kroger on Wayside at Polk. A nice large one where I was a loyal shopper for twenty something years. They closed some years ago, after Fiesta opened.

I know I'm behind times again, but has anything happened to the Kroger on Polk? It's been several months since the last posts here......

There used to be a Kroger on Wayside at Polk. A nice large one where I was a loyal shopper for twenty something years. They closed some years ago, after Fiesta opened.

"Combat Kroger" is still sitting there, just like always. And the former CVS next to it is still vacant.

If - and when - there are any positive changes, you'll hear a lot of whooping and hollering from the Eastwood area contingent on this forum.

Archived