The Great Grocer Race Who Will Be The First To Capitalize On The New East End

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wanting to get some feedback here. I hope someone figures out how great this area is BEFORE the 2010 Census.

I'm kinda pulling for a Wal-Mart neighborhood market... it would be a great way for the store to nudge into the urban scene.

Don't hold your breath for before 2010. Wal-Mart and a lot of the other big chain stores are shying away from new development, especially in urban areas, because of the economy. Two years ago Target had plans for a bunch of new urban stores in Chicago and has since backed out on all of them, citing the national economy. Of course, it is the unions that proudly keep Wal-Mart out of Chicago, but that's another story.

There are lots of places that deserve a new Wal-Mart, and the East End is certainly one of them. But I think if you really want one, the city is going to have to court Wal-Mart and not the other way around.

There are lots of places that deserve a new Wal-Mart, and the East End is certainly one of them. But I think if you really want one, the city is going to have to court Wal-Mart and not the other way around.

It would be great strategy on Wal-Mart's part to build something closer-in. A lot of the demographics that scare pansy-ass suburbanites away from their own Wal-Marts (especially at night) are people that drive there from the inner city, which has only one (and not a very good one).

It would be great strategy on Wal-Mart's part to build something closer-in. A lot of the demographics that scare pansy-ass suburbanites away from their own Wal-Marts (especially at night) are people that drive there from the inner city, which has only one (and not a very good one).

Is the Wal-Mart at Bellaire still the closest one to Downtown?

Just wanting to get some feedback here. I hope someone figures out how great this area is BEFORE the 2010 Census.

I'm kinda pulling for a Wal-Mart neighborhood market... it would be a great way for the store to nudge into the urban scene.

Well, I'm hoping the Kroger on Cullen @ Polk will convert into a Signature store, but I have my doubts.

Something wrong with Fiesta you guys? They are already there ya know. Don't ignore the obvious.

Yeah, but how large of an area is the entire East End??? Fiesta is much more on the Lawndale side, and there's still a big gaping hole of grocers on the northern swath of East End towards downtown (you know, the part that is seeing explosive construction and development right now??). Also, it's a matter of walkability. Houstonians will never totally abandon their cars, but the inner loop is transitioning into a much more walk-friendly area. So we'll have to plan for things like grocery stores and other retail that are in each neighborhood section.

Yeah, but how large of an area is the entire East End??? Fiesta is much more on the Lawndale side, and there's still a big gaping hole of grocers on the northern swath of East End towards downtown (you know, the part that is seeing explosive construction and development right now??). Also, it's a matter of walkability. Houstonians will never totally abandon their cars, but the inner loop is transitioning into a much more walk-friendly area. So we'll have to plan for things like grocery stores and other retail that are in each neighborhood section.

so you can't walk to a fiesta if one is built?

Hmmm, a Flagship/Signature-type Fiesta.

Maybe not Fiesta Mart...how about "Fiesta Marketplace". Fresh produce, organic items, more wheat items (the Polk Kroger seems to sell out of those quickly), a fresh tortilleria, and more. I'm thinking the Buffalo Speedway Kroger experience and level of selection with a much more global influence and appeal (which, IMO, Fiesta already has).

By the way, I don't mind Fiesta at all. Personally, I kinda like the atmosphere.

Several years ago Fiesta pulled off a major coup by openning a large scale store on the Gulf Freeway at NASA Road 1. This store had a produce section with organic, imported and a "hydropondic" garden. It was novel and the competition took notice. Several HEB executives came over from San Antonio to have a look for themselves. They were caught flat footed and knew they had been one upped. HEB was not happy about an upstart local company horning in on their loyal "Hispanic" customer base.

Sadly Fiesta could not sustain the store. Maybe it was just too much of a leap for them, or maybe the customer base in the Clear Lake area just didn't get it. The store was downsized and then finally closed a few years back.

Walmart? Dear god no. I wouldnt go there.

Well, I'm hoping the Kroger on Cullen @ Polk will convert into a Signature store, but I have my doubts.

I think their niche demographic is still a little ways off. Perhaps in several more years.

Several years ago Fiesta pulled off a major coup by openning a large scale store on the Gulf Freeway at NASA Road 1. This store had a produce section with organic, imported and a "hydropondic" garden. It was novel and the competition took notice. Several HEB executives came over from San Antonio to have a look for themselves. They were caught flat footed and knew they had been one upped. HEB was not happy about an upstart local company horning in on their loyal "Hispanic" customer base.

Sadly Fiesta could not sustain the store. Maybe it was just too much of a leap for them, or maybe the customer base in the Clear Lake area just didn't get it. The store was downsized and then finally closed a few years back.

That's too bad that it didn't work out. Hydroponic produce is great.

Don't know if they'd be willing to try that again, but I would think that with this whole "green" movement and "healthier eating" movement (coupled with the good probability that the folks living in new and rehabbed East End development subscribe to some or all of that philosophy) that it may be at least worth looking at again.

I almost...almost died laughing when someone once asked "Can you imagine a Flagship Randall's being built around Gulfgate" and the reply was a flat

NO.

Killed me. lol :lol:

I know. Who the heck goes to Randall's anyway? LOL!

Usually the ones that dont mind paying 3 times the price of the same stuff you can buy at a regular store like HEB, Kroger etc. Although I do admire the rare or imported select items that have available but its so over priced.

Its the shoplifting and demographics that frighten most high end anything from these here parts, or as they like to call it "Indian territory" :lol: Might get scalped by the Big Chief!

I do, if I'm driving close to their Midtown area store and know that some grocery items I want are advertised "specials" in their weekly ad. There are some things that our local HEB, Kroger, Sellers and Fiesta just don't stock.

"Cherry-picking" for good buys at grocery stores like Randall's isn't a bad idea, as long as it doesn't take too much time or gasoline. At the Midtown store location, you can get in, buy your stuff and get out in a hurry.

Something wrong with Fiesta you guys? They are already there ya know. Don't ignore the obvious.

A really GOOD Fiesta in East End would be welcome! The one on Wayside is sorry, compared to some of their other stores. Poor quality and selection of produce, limited brands and sizes of canned and packaged items.

No, but I do ride my bike there all the time. But there are a few things that I like to buy that they just don't have, like

President brand Brie

Pre-scaled Tilapia

Tomato Basil/ Mozzarella salad

Spinach Pesto (and a host of other things

Keep in mind, these foods are not overly expensive, but there I've never seen them at either of East End's major grocers. On the other hand, three out of four of them can be found at ANY Houston-area Super WalMart.

The Fiesta on south Wayside IS a specialty store. It caters to the predominantly Hispanic population, and there's nothing wrong with that. And there's NOTHING wrong with Fiesta... for example the one on South Main at Kirby is one of the most comprehensive, international grocery stores I've EVER seen. period. I love shopping there, b/c I can fin anything and everything. But the 45-min of bus and train time (or extra gas mileage in the car) makes it about as convenient as going on down to Wal-Mart at Almeda/Genoa.

Kroger is great too. No one would be complaining if we had a Kroger that was even remotely similar to the one on West Gray. But the one on Cullen just doesn't cut it.

The East End is changing... the people that are moving into this area are young professionals whom want a wider variety of grocery options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Just joined the site, as I recently moved from Alief to Broadmoor.

Enjoying it so far :)

I'd love to see a Hong Kong food market like I had access to in Alief. all sorts of crazy vegetables to try out, fresh fish, and lots of spices, not to mention inexpensive.

I've been to the HEB in gulfgate (although I haven't found a time that place isn't busy, I like the selection) and the Randall's in midtown (great for rainy day shopping since they have covered parking, too bad it smells down there), I still need to try the Fiesta, but I'm not adventurous enough to go into the Battle Kroger (the one on polk and cullen).

I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can hop on my bycicle and ride to Rice Epicurean, or Central Market and get some way overpriced cheese or something, but until then, I'll settle for something clean and close.

I'd love to see a Hong Kong food market like I had access to in Alief. all sorts of crazy vegetables to try out, fresh fish, and lots of spices, not to mention inexpensive.

I've been to the HEB in gulfgate (although I haven't found a time that place isn't busy, I like the selection) and the Randall's in midtown (great for rainy day shopping since they have covered parking, too bad it smells down there), I still need to try the Fiesta, but I'm not adventurous enough to go into the Battle Kroger (the one on polk and cullen).

I'm eagerly awaiting the day I can hop on my bycicle and ride to Rice Epicurean, or Central Market and get some way overpriced cheese or something, but until then, I'll settle for something clean and close.

The residents in and around Broadmoor really need to ban together and "voice" in person and beyond this forum. No one seems to ever act on it? I grew up in Broadmoor and we used to walk to Weingartens just blocks to the north/east. Maybe we can create a HUGE banner and fly around over head and have arrows pointing down at where Weingartens used to be?

Here is the idea, level the old (still standing) Weingarten bldg and build a large modern state of the art grocery store. This local is PRIME people! What does it take divine intervention? :mellow:

In fact the field behind Macy's Warehouse would be perfect! Everyone would benefit from all around. Between Cage Elementary and Macy's to be exact. Let's build I say!

The residents in and around Broadmoor really need to ban together and "voice" in person and beyond this forum. No one seems to ever act on it? I grew up in Broadmoor and we used to walk to Weingartens just blocks to the north/east. Maybe we can create a HUGE banner and fly around over head and have arrows pointing down at where Weingartens used to be?

Here is the idea, level the old (still standing) Weingarten bldg and build a large modern state of the art grocery store. This local is PRIME people! What does it take divine intervention? :mellow:

In fact the field behind Macy's Warehouse would be perfect! Everyone would benefit from all around. Between Cage Elementary and Macy's to be exact. Let's build I say!

Vertigo, I live in Broadmoor and, as I see it, the diverse residents and/or property owners of Broadmoor and the area around it aren't going to band together for anything until Hell freezes over.

Folks who live here should know by now that the Eastwood Civic Association welcomes members from Broadmoor and adjacent neighborhoods. That organization has repeatedly voiced our requests for better grocery stores and other retail establishments to the East End Chamber of Commerce. Somehow, the EECofC can't convince the big boys in retailing that this is anything other than a poor blue-collar area where hablamos solamente el espanol!

The old Weingarten building is owned by the Houston ISD and, by modern standards, the property it sits on wouldn't accommodate a modern grocery store and its required parking space. Building one with underground parking is too expensive an option these days.

Believe it or not, the Battle Kroger is slowly improving. It's cleaner, and the selection is better now in most departments than it was a few months ago. But...it's still too small a store for the area it serves.

Archived