Ike: Target In The Woodlands

wxman

Just when I thought I saw it all...thousands of trees snapped in The Woodlands, roofs peeled off, shingles gone, fences down, and no electricity, I find out tonight that the Target in The Woodlands was destroyed. During the height of the storm, the roof was peeled off and the rest of it gave way and collapsed inside the store. From what my friend said who works there, he's a manager, the store is a total loss and will be brought down. In it's place will go a super Target.

Just when I thought I saw it all...thousands of trees snapped in The Woodlands, roofs peeled off, shingles gone, fences down, and no electricity, I find out tonight that the Target in The Woodlands was destroyed. During the height of the storm, the roof was peeled off and the rest of it gave way and collapsed inside the store. From what my friend said who works there, he's a manager, the store is a total loss and will be brought down. In it's place will go a super Target.

Different strokes...Super Target in Pearland sustained no visible damage. it was the first grocery store to open Sunday morning. It even has some perishables. Is The Woodlands store a stand alone or sandwished between other stores?

Different strokes...Super Target in Pearland sustained no visible damage. it was the first grocery store to open Sunday morning. It even has some perishables. Is The Woodlands store a stand alone or sandwished between other stores?

No, our store is not a stand alone. It's just so weird how some places got slammed and others didn't. I'm surprised being so far inland that we've had as much damage. I guess that answers the questions of "we're too far inland...." Ummmm, no, we're not. I've tried to get that across to my parents and they didn't listen. Now that they rode this one out, they'll never do it again. Sometimes a hard head makes a soft _______. I'll add that it is an old store...probably did the Target Corp a favor.

Ok, I just got off the phone with him again, and he said that it was a 75' - 100' section that gave way. The store is still a total loss due to 13" of rain that went in it. What the wind didn't get, the water did.

Roof ripped off way up in the freakin Woodlands? Who built it, the Tremont Towers people? The damn Academy in Galveston is still there.

Woodlands is not far from Galveston in terms of a hurricane as fat as Ike. Plus if a structure is unlucky to get some tornadoes, it will be pretty damaged. The construction might be a factor esp if the store is old.

Roof ripped off way up in the freakin Woodlands? Who built it, the Tremont Towers people? The damn Academy in Galveston is still there.

Also keep in mind that hurricanes don't use freeways. Even though it is 70 miles by car to reach The Woodlands, as the crow flies, your only looking at maybe 50 miles...hardly anything to a hurricane.

Hurricanes aren't picky. And although I stayed away from the news as much as possible, weren't the Woodlands pretty close to the center of the storm? I spoke with someone who lives in the Woodlands that said every 4th or 5th house had a tree down on the home.

Err... the damage is pretty extensive in northern Harris County/The Woodlands. Ike was pretty big and will most likely be the 3rd costliest hurricane in American history.

Yeah, a lot of the building codes in unincorporated areas of Harris and Montgomery Counties were not as stringent as in the city of Houston and in areas closer to the coast.

We need better building codes so even a Cat 2 cannot do much.

Yeah, a lot of the building codes in unincorporated areas of Harris and Montgomery Counties were not as stringent as in the city of Houston and in areas closer to the coast.

We need better building codes so even a Cat 2 cannot do much.

That's another thing. Ike is one sneaky, sneaky hurricane. It's a cat 2 quite alright, but just 1 mph slower than cat 3. What's the difference between 110mph winds and 111mph winds slamming your house?

Understood...it was a big hurricane and there were impacts as far north as Ohio. I drove around and looked at a lot of damage, and most was due to trees falling onto something, not roofs being blown off. Tornadoes are another story - if that did it then it's no surprise.

wxman,

Can you put me in contact with the Woodlands manager that you know? I'm one of their vendors and haven't been able to get a hold of anyone:) :rolleyes: Thanks-

I don't mean to laugh... but as I am reading this I am like "Oh my goodness that's horrible... a total loss!?... wow i can't believe that!"..... but then I get to.... "In it's place will go a Super Target"... and I just start cracking up! :lol:

^^^ A Super Target paid for with insurance money. As long as no one was killed or hurt, that actually bodes well for the Target Empire, doesn't it?

m. B)

That's what cracked me up... I was feeling all bad for Target at first then realized they will benefit from the whole situation! ha ha

That's another thing. Ike is one sneaky, sneaky hurricane. It's a cat 2 quite alright, but just 1 mph slower than cat 3. What's the difference between 110mph winds and 111mph winds slamming your house?

I'd like to make a couple things clear...

1.) Ike, what everybody from Galveston to Conroe to Livingston experienced was a bonafied Cat 1 storm. Sustained winds were 80 to 85 mph sustained...this according to the HRD (Hurricane Research Division). Ike actually strengthened as it moved over Houston. This can be seen in the microwave imagery. Notice the orange showing up over northern Harris and southern Montgomery counties. This explains why the damage was so extensive in the northern areas.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-tim...sBy12hr_26.html

Also you will notice the wind field (posted below) that the Cat 2 winds were confined to High Island and that's it. You will also notice, in conjunction with the microwave imagery above, that the highest sustained winds in Houston were located from Downtown to Conroe to Livingston. Winds were likely higher in The Woodlands than they were in Galveston.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Storm_pages/T...L092008_mph.pdf

I'd like to make a couple things clear...

1.) Ike, what everybody from Galveston to Conroe to Livingston experienced was a bonafied Cat 1 storm. Sustained winds were 80 to 85 mph sustained...this according to the HRD (Hurricane Research Division). Ike actually strengthened as it moved over Houston. This can be seen in the microwave imagery. Notice the orange showing up over northern Harris and southern Montgomery counties. This explains why the damage was so extensive in the northern areas.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-tim...sBy12hr_26.html

Also you will notice the wind field (posted below) that the Cat 2 winds were confined to High Island and that's it. You will also notice, in conjunction with the microwave imagery above, that the highest sustained winds in Houston were located from Downtown to Conroe to Livingston. Winds were likely higher in The Woodlands than they were in Galveston.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Storm_pages/T...L092008_mph.pdf

One of my supervisors showed us a map like that... showed winds west of the center were actually a bit stronger from Downtown to Conroe than they were south of Downtown, excluding maybe the immediate coast. This is evident by that orange dot just north of Downtown.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Ike: Target In The Woodlands

Archived