Roofer Recommendation?

Ok, I know that a lot of people will be asking this question, but can anyone recommend an honest roofer?

With the hurricane coming through, I would guess that this is a great opportunity for dishonest roofers to begin price gouging.

With that being said, I am in a 3 story townhome complex (2005) with connecting walls. From what I can see from the ground, there doesn't seem to be any roof damage, but I would like to confirm this with a professional.

I am sure lots of folks on this forum would like to have that done just for piece of mind.

same here....Try checking "Flipper's" past posts, he put up a list of contractors that he works with for his projects. Hopefully that will help.

Just go to his profile and any topics that he started will be listed there.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any luck with roof work post-Ike? I was hoping to at least get some sort of estimate before my insurance guy comes out (finally!). I've probably waited to late to call around, but it seemed tough to get a hold of people today...and some weren't even working in my area

Has anyone had any luck with roof work post-Ike? I was hoping to at least get some sort of estimate before my insurance guy comes out (finally!). I've probably waited to late to call around, but it seemed tough to get a hold of people today...and some weren't even working in my area

I have heard every excuse under the sun. There is only ONE that a family member suggested that is coming by for an estimate. By the time the next HEAVY rain comes, thousands of people will have more water damage. Tarps can only do so much.

Many want you to register online only to reply an hour or so later with "we are not working on your side of town" TOO BAD. :angry:

I have heard every excuse under the sun. There is only ONE that a family member suggested that is coming by for an estimate. By the time the next HEAVY rain comes, thousands of people will have more water damage. Tarps can only do so much.

Many want you to register online only to reply an hour or so later with "we are not working on your side of town" TOO BAD. :angry:

Yeah, I did a couple of online forms this morning but haven't heard back from either of them. I also tried calling and either no one answers, or it just goes to voicemail. Even my adjuster is playing some of these games. I'm not sure I have enough damage to cover my deductible, but I'm certainly going to check to see

Could you PM the one that you got through to?

Yeah, I did a couple of online forms this morning but haven't heard back from either of them. I also tried calling and either no one answers, or it just goes to voicemail. Even my adjuster is playing some of these games. I'm not sure I have enough damage to cover my deductible, but I'm certainly going to check to see

Could you PM the one that you got through to?

Same issues I'm having - anyone else having any luck in Houston recently?

Same issues I'm having - anyone else having any luck in Houston recently?

Wow, this is really starting to concern me now.

Okie I will get you that number ASAP just dont have on me now at work.

All I can say whomever is in the Tarp business is going to make big money wise. These tarps will not last too long right? Its the nails they use to hold them down I hate, means more holes in the roof.

I have had no call backs none except that one my brother referred. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I actually got some money from my insurance = roof replacement time. The rains this morning reminded me to hurry up and get this done already

I've only got one quote so far, though I'm working on others. Total area is about 1520 sq ft (15.2 squares) on a fairly high two story roof. The quote was to remove old shingles, replace any rotted decking, and install 30 yr dimensional shingles from GAF-Elk. The total estimate was $6300. Does that sound high? The estimate for replacement (for 25 yr, though) from insurance was closer to $3700

OK, so I actually got some money from my insurance = roof replacement time. The rains this morning reminded me to hurry up and get this done already

I've only got one quote so far, though I'm working on others. Total area is about 1520 sq ft (15.2 squares) on a fairly high two story roof. The quote was to remove old shingles, replace any rotted decking, and install 30 yr dimensional shingles from GAF-Elk. The total estimate was $6300. Does that sound high? The estimate for replacement (for 25 yr, though) from insurance was closer to $3700

$6300 sounds like highway robbery.

flipper

Thanks... I don't know much about roofing, but $414/square sounded pretty high

I called one a relative referred me to. When the woman answered she said you know you are the 2,000 person calling for a quote? We are just too backlogged!

I wonder why she is even answering the phone? Jeepers creepers! :wacko::angry:

Sure would like to see a helicopters view above as they pass over the city. Must be a blue tarp metropolis.

FYI, yesterday radio said FEMA will still come by an place a blue tarp for free until 10/24 or around there of.....everyone.

$6300 sounds like highway robbery.

flipper

My adjuster and roofer were almost on the $ as far as what my roof would cost. (long time roofer and long time adjuster) My home is 1630 sf and it cost $7200. I was on waiting list with other roofers where I was waiting until Nov. to get it done. It is done now. The roofer is one of the ones mentioned in this thread and very reputable. Considering what they showed me when they were pulling the roof off it really needed to get it done.

Just contracted with M&M for my roof replacement (30-yr dimensional Gaf-Elk). Pretty much right on with my insurance estimate, and they said (we'll see!) that they can begin in weeks, not months.

I have an cement asbestos tile roof right now, and will be looking to salvage and sell those tiles. That's for another post though :).

Just contracted with M&M for my roof replacement (30-yr dimensional Gaf-Elk). Pretty much right on with my insurance estimate, and they said (we'll see!) that they can begin in weeks, not months.

We also contracted with M&M. So far, a painless and positive experience. Signed contract on Monday, were told it could take 2-3 weeks to start. Supplies arrived in our driveway Wednesday. Thursday got a call saying they had a crew that could start Friday morning. New roof complete Saturday afternoon. 5 days from contract to job complete - very impressed.

New roof looks great. Crew were efficient, pretty neat (still finding some small debris laying around - no big deal after such a big job), courteous and respectful. They even helped my pregnant wife unload groceries. Our price was also right on with the insurance estimate.

We also contracted with M&M. So far, a painless and positive experience. Signed contract on Monday, were told it could take 2-3 weeks to start. Supplies arrived in our driveway Wednesday. Thursday got a call saying they had a crew that could start Friday morning. New roof complete Saturday afternoon. 5 days from contract to job complete - very impressed.

New roof looks great. Crew were efficient, pretty neat (still finding some small debris laying around - no big deal after such a big job), courteous and respectful. They even helped my pregnant wife unload groceries. Our price was also right on with the insurance estimate.

You guys are lucky you are finding some good roofers. I just had another nut case come by the other day. I wanted to kick him out. This one had left a card on my door so I thought I would try it. His price was quite ridiculous. I would appreciate a PM from anyone with someone they have used before thats not trying to take advantage of people. Thanks! :)

You guys are lucky you are finding some good roofers. I just had another nut case come by the other day. I wanted to kick him out. This one had left a card on my door so I thought I would try it. His price was quite ridiculous. I would appreciate a PM from anyone with someone they have used before thats not trying to take advantage of people. Thanks! :)

Got a call this morning that they are placing the order and will call me before they deliver so that I can leave the gate open for them (shingles are like gold these days, LOL).

I will let you know about the quality once they finish up. We have a steep roof with a curved section over the porch, and I'm very picky about making sure it is perfectly finished. If they pass muster, I will yell from the rooftops :).

• 3 weeks later...
Got a call this morning that they are placing the order and will call me before they deliver so that I can leave the gate open for them (shingles are like gold these days, LOL).

I will let you know about the quality once they finish up. We have a steep roof with a curved section over the porch, and I'm very picky about making sure it is perfectly finished. If they pass muster, I will yell from the rooftops :).

I'm waiting on a call back to get an estimate done with M&M. So far they are the only ones who answered their phones and took my information!

One of the ones I had called several weeks ago initially said they were at over 900 call backs. SO, I called them a week ago and now they say no estimates until 2009. :mellow: May as well put a recording that says "leave us alone"

M&M just finished ours up today. They did a good job and cleaned up the yard, which I appreciated. After many a sleepless night (everytime a storm rolled through), it is nice to have a solid roof again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

We are in north houston over by the woodlands and used a roofing contractor referred to us by our Realtor.  they were out within a few days and got it done a week later.  its been since 2008 and we are in 2015 with no leaks so far.  ask for lewis, he is who we dealt with.

Avalanche Contractors

832-537-2317

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived