Ike: Hurricane Ike Photos

editor

Here are the ones from my street in Westbury.

What I saw when I opened my door:

DSCN2822.jpg

Directly in front of my house 2 20-25 ft trees from the house on the other side of the street crashed and left me only a 6ft wide area to pull my cars out. My house is on the left of this photo but it is not pictured for online safety reasons (stalkers, killers, marketers, etc).

DSCN2831.jpg

Doing a 180 degree turn and looking down 2 blocks is another giant tree downed. I was lucky to have one street open or I would have been stranded for a LONG time.

DSCN2829.jpg

Sunday I went down to Victoria to buy a generator and supplies. On the way back I see a convoy of 20 State Farm cars and trucks to help with claims. Almost every car or truck coming up 59 had the 5 gallon gas cans and/or generators on them.

DSCN2843.jpg

The window A/C unit at Lowes for $125 was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!! I had not slept in 3 days...maybe 1-2 hours a night and nothing the night of the storm. I was VERY lucky....A few homes around here had trees fall on them and crush the roofs. My house and cars had no damage whatsoever plus I had water and natural gas the whole time. I lost power at 9:30 the night of storm and was hot and humid until last night. I am coming to you on generator power now.

The sound of the wind and the debris hitting the side of the house is pure horror when you are borded inside. I think the gusts were 80-90 mph in this area. My pecan tree would have fallen if the storm went another few hours in my estimation.

No one said anything about the geotube in Gilchrist. Sure, it's not a seawall, but it kept water out for many storms. Rita's water came in from the backside due to the circulation and it being east. It was weird that the northern sides of houses were the ones that got damage. Crystal Beach had no protection. I've heard that Rollover pass in completely gone.

NOAA has taken several dozen very high resolution photographs of the Galveston-Houston area as it is now after the storm.

They're far too many and large for me to post here, so here's a link.

Click on the black square around the area you want to see. Then click on the yellow squares to pull up images from that sector.

My next door neighbor's pool. This top of this tree (trimmed in the pic) took out the power line in back that serves our little group of 5-6 houses:

IMG_1833.jpg

Another neighbor just across the street. We worked all morning in the last bit of light rain getting this tree out of the street so traffic would get buy and the gutters would drain:

IMG_1827.jpg

Most of these are on the trek from the Reliant Stadium area to Montrose:

Fannin at Knight:

2863127902_7744e34fd3_o.jpg

Apartments along Fannin:

2863127578_7d6e631289_o.jpg

Fannin at OST:

2862291875_6aa267f12c_o.jpg

Fannin in the medical center:

2863124508_39fe8fe024_o.jpg

St. Lukes tower:

2863124310_c5d3327973_o.jpg

Main near Rice University:

2863124900_1ed22c1fcf_o.jpg

Minit Man on Main:

2863125342_6ee18d262e_o.jpg

Sears with the old A exposed:

2863125756_bf2e06f1c7_o.jpg

West Alabama near the spur:

2862294947_883051338f_o.jpg

Here we go, a lot from the car so sorry about the imperfect edges:

Memorial Drive

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0295.JPG

Buffalo Bayou at Waugh

DSC_0299.JPG

DSC_0324.JPG

DSC_0329.JPG

DSC_0402.JPG

White Oak Bayou, I-10 at I-45

DSC_0338.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

Houston Ave, going north over White Oak Bayou

DSC_0341.JPG

White Oak Bayou from the Durham bridge

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

I-10 at Durham

DSC_0388.JPG

White Oak Bayou at bridge 20 (Heights)

DSC_0426.JPG

I just have photos of nearby East End hoods shortly after day break. Mostly Idylwood/Forest Hill/Sunnyland/Broadmoor. The old deal have to scan or upload and enter here I guess. Most of these areas still no power as I type.

We couldnt venture too far away at this time gas lines were growing so saving was key not to mention getting food...somewhere :wacko:

I just have photos of nearby East End hoods shortly after day break. Mostly Idylwood/Forest Hill/Sunnyland/Broadmoor. The old deal have to scan or upload and enter here I guess. Most of these areas still no power as I type.

We couldnt venture too far away at this time gas lines were growing so saving was key not to mention getting food...somewhere :wacko:

It's interesting - I've noticed that gas prices have actually fallen in the last couple of days. Every penny counts!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived