Ike: The Woodlands and parts north

bachanon

today was an odd day at work on the woodlands waterway. our company moved from league city in order to be away from hurricane surges.

many of the people still commuting from league city were not at work today. others living south of the woodlands left early. we cleared our desks and secured important documents away from windows.

living in the woodlands, my biggest fear is high winds. when the weather guy says that the woodlands will receive 75-110 mph sustained winds for several hours, he has my full attention. the latest news that it may not even be a cat 2 at landfall is a comfort.

my parents were around during the '83 hurricane. they lost power for a few days and had much clean up to see to. many people at work seemed to care little for the forecast today and seemed more worried about travel and power outages. my dad bought lumber and deck screws for my house but didn't seem worried about his.

i'm stocked with water & non perishables. the gas tanks are full. the outside furniture and planters are inside the garage. the lumber dad bought is also in the garage. i'm washing all the clothes and dishes and the kid is out with friends celebrating the unexpected holiday. i still have pictures of property and important files in an easy to grab and go place....from rita.

so, what have you done to prepare? do you think the winds will be an issue for us in the woodlands if the storm is cat 2 or cat 3?

We have wood to board up the windows, but will probably only do the windows in the back of the house because they're quite large... I haven't told my dh about this yet ;)... we have enough "stuff" to make it comfortably through losing power for a few days and that's the least of my worries.

This site doesn't list The Woodlands zips, but it might help determine your comfort level:

http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

red, that's kinda my point. 110 mph sustained winds in a pine forest doesn't seem safe. however, no one seems worried about it.

so, you recommend that i get soused and hope for the best? after your post about heading out for rum, i did run out and buy a twelve pack of shiner.

uhhhh red, don't you think a half gallon of rum is overdoing things?

when I was a kid during Alicia we put plywood over the windows upstairs and all the kids got our skimboards ready and went to the liquor store that sold to minors and stocked up

we lived at Westheimer and Wilcrest.....Salem Bin Shareti at KGS Liquors at Briar Forest and Wilcrest is who sold for all you youngsters out there ;)

if we lived in the Woodlands we probably would have gassed up anyones parents chain saws and scouted places to illegally dump whatever we made money "cleaning up" B):lol:

We have wood to board up the windows, but will probably only do the windows in the back of the house because they're quite large... I haven't told my dh about this yet ;)... we have enough "stuff" to make it comfortably through losing power for a few days and that's the least of my worries.

This site doesn't list The Woodlands zips, but it might help determine your comfort level:

http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

thank you. that does help. although, i'm don't know if 100 mph winds are that much worse than 70 mph winds. i feel much better about 70 mph.

Archived