Ike: Impact of Ike on HAIF Traffic

jm1fd

Editor, would you care to speculate on what impact the hurricane will have on HAIF traffic? Will it be down substantially since most of the readership will be without power? Care to post some traffic statistics once it is all said and done?

I don't mind sharing some percentages once it's done.

As of right now, we're right about where we should be for a Thursday night, so no real increase in traffic. However, traffic is monitored on the west coast, so there's still about five hours left in the statistical day.

I'll make a guess about what will happen based on previous big storms: There will be an increase in traffic from people in other parts of the country curious about what's going on in Houston. At the same time there will be a decrease in the number of people in the Houston metro who are on HAIF because they have much more important things to do. So I predict that in the end everything will even out.

That said, the timing of this storm could have an interesting impact on HAIF because Saturday is usually our slowest day of the week, so maybe the hurricane will prop up a usually quiet day.

houstontranstar is barely reporting any traffic... I would guess that most of their sensors are out due to the storm.

Ive been doing my standard 60 mile roundtrip commute since monday, and traffic is light.

I think they were talking about site traffic. :lol:

houstontranstar is barely reporting any traffic... I would guess that most of their sensors are out due to the storm.

Ive been doing my standard 60 mile roundtrip commute since monday, and traffic is light.

You obviously don't commute by the Katy Freeway. Westbound in the evening today could have used some serious Preparation H. Way worse than usual, if that's possible.

I've been on HAIF a lot more in the past few days. I try not to leave my apartment too often: already got two flats this week from downtown debris.

Editor, would you care to speculate on what impact the hurricane will have on HAIF traffic? Will it be down substantially since most of the readership will be without power? Care to post some traffic statistics once it is all said and done?

It's been a week, so here's an update:

gallery_1_86_11945.jpg

In the spirit of things, I made it out of plywood. But I can't show specific numbers because they are owned by someone else. It's complicated.

You can see that things fell off dramatically right after the storm hit. Because of the angle of the chart it doesn't look as bad as it should. If the numbers were there you'd see that traffic is down about 40-50%. But in the last couple of days there have been small bumps, I assume as people return to HAIF after getting their power back.

Archived