Hurricane Ike - Location/People Coordination

tmariar

Post here if you are offering or looking for HAIF-member help in connection with Hurricane Ike beyond just advice. (For general discussion of the hurricane, and for helpful preparation/monitoring links, see the other threads in the "Breaking News" forum.) To keep things focused, here are the types of posts to make on this thread:

MONTROSE - I live in Montrose but am out of town through Monday. I live N of Alabama, W of Montrose, S of Westheimer, E of Dunlavy. If anyone in or near that area might be willing to exchange contact information and possibly check on my house while I'm gone, please PM me.

HIGHWAY 146 - I'll be evacuating north on Hwy 146 from Clear Lake Shores. If anyone along that route would be willing to exchange contact information in case of an emergency along the way, please PM me.

HEIGHTS/FRIENDSWOOD - I'm going to be riding out the storm alone in the Heights. My parents will be staying in their home in Friendswood. If anyone in either location might be willing to give me their phone number just in case of an emergency, please PM me. Thanks, Housuperstar.

HEIGHTS/FRIENDSWOOD - Housuperstar, I sent you a PM re help in Friendswood.

WOODLAND HEIGHTS - I'm not evacuating. Neighbors, PM me if you need help with anything. If you need someone to check on your house, I may be able to do that, or may know a HAIFer close to you. I may also have a little time on Friday morning if someone close by needs help boarding their windows.

Please do not post your or another member's precise address. Members offering help will likely suggest that you PM them (send them a private message using the HAIF message utility). Members looking for help should do the same. Even in a PM, exercise good judgment in giving anyone your address.

I'm posting this thread now despite the current uncertainty in the storm track because now is a good time to be making your plan and looking for help, just in case - if the threat continues to grow, others will be increasingly focused on their own preparations.

Edited by tmariar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vertigo - Absolutely. Here's mine:

HEIGHTS - It's very unlikely I'll evacuate (I didn't for Rita). I'm S of 11th, W of Studewood, N of White Oak, E of Heights. I don't know if I'd be much help with boarding windows, but PM me if you want a Heights text-message or email contact who's staying. May also be able to check on houses.

Edited by tmariar

Everyone make sure you have a camera ready to take very important pics before and after!

I recall in Allison not having film for the old camera, luckily the neighbor across the street was out snapping away at the ocean before us.

Additional note all:

The East End of Houston or East of downtown is where you do not want to be in this sort of event. We are like a freaking buffer/battering ram as forecasted maps indicate. Hope we all dont come floating your way West or North. The ship channel just too close for comfort I'm afraid. Santo cielo! -_-

MONTROSE: First Montrose Commons (Spur/Richmond/Montrose/Alabama)

Will not be evacuating, and will either be home or maaaybe near Reliant Park (along the Fannin corridor)

I pinned this topic to the important topics area

I went through Alicia in that area of Montrose. Garrott, between W. Main and Colquit. We stayed up all night in the old 1920's brownstone. Ole 'Elberta' still stands to this day. I remember going outside during the eye to get a dog that had gotten loose.

Sorry, off topic... memories...

West U/Med Ctr/Bellaire: Buffalo/Stella/N.Braeswood/Bellaire Blvd. Two blocks from Poor Farm Ditch.

Clear Lake area. Not sure if we are staying or going, but concerned for my Mother, age 85 in Park Place area. Would appreciate someone checking on her if she stays - and since she is housebound, she is probably going to stay.

Could probably use help boarding up, don't even have a truck to carry the boards in, or a saw to saw them with.

Thanks much.

Clear Lake area. Not sure if we are staying or going, but concerned for my Mother, age 85 in Park Place area. Would appreciate someone checking on her if she stays - and since she is housebound, she is probably going to stay.

Could probably use help boarding up, don't even have a truck to carry the boards in, or a saw to saw them with.

Thanks much.

I think the Park Place area is in evacuation zone 3 - is she registered for assistance? or does she not want to do that?

I have a friend in Corpus I tried to find accommodations for here in Bastrop. They got a couple of rooms at Roadway Inn in Austin, so there are still rooms to be had in this area.

I am smart enough to know that there is no way to say for certain where the storm will come ashore, or where it will head afterward. I am not in a direct path at this time, but could get some pretty bad stuff before it

There are a couple of Eastwooders here on haif...not sure where people are. I've spoken to my neighbors and (for now) those of us near the intersection of Walker and Eddington are staying put. I am, for sure. Damn, I went to Specs today and we've already put away half a fifth of vodka. So much for the storm rations. Back on topic, if you're nearby and in need, we will do as much as we can for ya! Note: We do not have a chain saw. We are fairly heavily armed and have shortwave, police scanner and bicycles--always good if trees go down.

Yay, the porta potty projectile is gone from my front yard! Knowing these contractors, it will just re-appear tomorrow, after having been dumped and sanitized.

Edited by crunchtastic

There are a couple of Eastwooders here on haif...not sure where people are. I've spoken to my neighbors and (for now) those of us near the intersection of Walker and Eddington are staying put. I am, for sure. Damn, I went to Specs today and we've already put away half a fifth of vodka. So much for the storm rations. Back on topic, if you're nearby and in need, we will do as much as we can for ya! Note: We do not have a chain saw. We are fairly heavily armed and have shortwave, police scanner and bicycles--always good if trees go down.

Yay, the porta potty projectile is gone from my front yard! Knowing these contractors, it will just re-appear tomorrow, after having been dumped and sanitized.

EASTWOOD - I feel so much more comfortable knowing that at least some of my real estate holdings are being patrolled by heavily armed, well-equipped drunkards. :lol: Although I must say, vodka without refrigeration just doesn't seem right. Seems more like an occasion that would call for scotch.

sarah is that you?

EASTWOOD - I feel so much more comfortable knowing that at least some of my real estate holdings are being patrolled by heavily armed, well-equipped drunkards. :lol: Although I must say, vodka without refrigeration just doesn't seem right. Seems more like an occasion that would call for scotch.

We don't drink scotch. We do, however, drink rye bourbon. Fully loaded in that scenario.

I can keep an eye on your place if you want, it's just around the corner. Fullly armed and everything. :)

RIVERSIDE - I live on the banks of Brays Bayou, but I'm not in an evacuation zone. However, my zip code (77021) borders part of evacuation zone C (77023), and I live about 4-5 miles upstream of the Houston Ship Channel. They've widened the bayou between Ardmore and Calhoun and built some detention ponds upstream in the Medical Center and near Meyerland, and that'll help. There may be a risk of flooding, just not quite sure of the severity. I think the things that are the greatest risk here are tornadoes, heavy wind, and trees falling. The windows need to be boarded up, we have precut plywood leftover from Rita, so it's just a matter of placing it on. The house has been here since 1956, so it's weathered storms such as Carla and Alicia, so it's definately well built. We may ride it out, or leave and go out to a relative's place in 77096, pretty far from the evacuation zones.

Sunnyland/Lawndale/Wayside/45:

After seeing the most recent turn of events this morn early 6:00am we are boarding up in Sunnyland or nabe surrounding JP Henderson Elementary. May not stay in this house since the wooded area of the Convent could become a battering ram not to mention the gusts that will pass down as we are in an very open area.

Dumble/45 area: or rather Broadmoor area:

Possibly staying in moms house built circa 1937 but also boarding as when Rita almost hit so did all of her next door neigbors. Most of these houses have very dramatic high roof pitch as in Tudor style so we are even boarding up the air vents on top. Most of the garages in this area are old and may not hold up so where to park cars? No choice. We plan to ride it out in the main hallway (center of home) parking my car right up against the house the closer the better. Sunnyland carport (& elderly neighbors) will fly away I'm afraid. Hopefully not into our homes. Time is running out. I plan to stay sober during these kind of events, got to keep alert. Unless it becomes to the point of... then slamnming down a few. :mellow:

EVERYONE - 7AM announcements:

Mayor

Employers recommended to not require non-essential employees to go to work on Friday, and to take into account recommended and mandatory evacuations (which the County Judge will speak to). Non-essential city employees will be off on Friday.

All school districts recommended to close Friday.

County Judge

Special needs evacuations beginning this morning. If you are in an evacuation zone, have special needs, but have not registered, call 3-1-1.

Mandatory evacuations of Zones A&B (zip codes ending in 058, 059, 062, 520, 546, 571, 586, 598) starting at noon today. Please wait until noon to evacuate and let Galveston get out.

Others - Unless you're in an unsafe structure (e.g., a mobile home), hunker down. If the power goes out later, you can leave then. Let those who need to get out now for their safety evacuate now.

Contraflow lanes not being opened now - it sounds like they are going to reevaluate the need for the contraflow lanes later today (sounded like during or after evening rush hour is the earliest they'd reevaluate).

Edited by tmariar

tmariar got it first, but here's the official version:

-----------------

HARRIS COUNTY EVACUATIONS FOR ZONES A & B

(Harris County, TX) - Due to changes in the track of Hurricane Ike and the expected storm surge of up to 15 ft. in some areas, Harris County and City of Houston officials are calling for the evacuation of citizens residing in Zones A & B of the evacuation plan.

A mandatory evacuation has been called for noon today for residents living in zip codes 77586 (Zone A), 77058, 77059, 77062, 77520, 77546, 77571, 77598 (Zone B).

Harris County will begin evacuating citizens with special needs that registered with 2-1-1 as soon as possible. Those not registered should call 3-1-1 immediately if they need help evacuating.

The routes identified for emergency evacuation by the state are Interstate 10 West to San Antonio, Interstate 45 North to Dallas, Interstate 59 North to Nacogdoches and Highway 290 West to Austin or Waco. The Texas Department of Public Safety will stage contraflow in coordination with local plans when needed. Refueling stations will be placed along the routes.

In order to minimize traffic of highways, emergency officials recommend that major employees allow non-essential personnel to not report to work on Friday. However, service providers such as grocery stores, restaurants and service stations are encouraged to remain open to serve the public.

Those who have registered already with the state's 2-1-1 system can expect to be picked up and transported to one of the transportation staging areas for evacuation.

Any other special needs persons who need help evacuating need to call 3-1-1.