Astrodome To Be Turned Into A Movie Studio

Subdude

I would like to see them gut most of the structure, open it leaving four raised columns to support four "panels" of the roof to span the entire structure. This would leave some memory and tribute to the former structure. They could then bring in materials,large trees, park amenities, play spaces, water / cool spaces etc.. inside the area of the original structure. A pedestrian pathway from Herman Park and / or the HP rail station - traveling through Braeswood Rd. / Braes bayou could be built that would extend to Reliant Park to the Astrodome Park with the path ending near the Fannin light rail station - 4-5 miles total. Pedestrian walk ways to be lighted and patroled with operating hours. The park would serve the interests of the Rodeo, Convention participants and the Texans. The park would be free to the City Residents, but a fee would be incurred to utlize parking. Some revenues drawn from signage. Obviously fund raising and some philanthropic effort would be necessary ( a gift from the blah blah foundation to the City of Houston ). Rodeo / Reliant could also kick in, in exchange for some concessions from the county.

I'd love for this to become reality, but no not the first thing about making it so. I wouldn't even know who to call.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Houston's Astrodome could become a Hollywood style movie studio

By Brad Woodard / 11 News | 05:23 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Astrodome is a Houston landmark that may become a movie studio if the county agrees to a new proposal presented by a group of private investors. When the Astrodome opened in 1965, it was dubbed the eighth wonder of the world.

Now it is the focus of a documentary that provides a definitive look at the history of the dome. But the backers of the film would like to see the dome as not only the subject of the movie, but also the place where movies are made.

“We have all this dirt, all this floor space and no columns. It is 140,000 square feet where we can build anything -- any galaxy and any town set that's imaginable. Then it's taken down and somebody else puts up another setting. There's nothing to compare with the size,” said Cynthia Neely, Vice President of Astrodome Studios.

The building that has inspired so many visions has inspired Neely and others to envision a Hollywood style movie studio that would be unlike any other. It would be called Astrodome Studios, and it would be completely self-contained and privately funded. Neely says the studio could help generate millions of dollars for the state’s economy.

“The production budget for the average film is about $53 million. They generally spend and leave behind about a third of that amount in the community. So one film could result in $17 million for the community,” said Neely.

The studio says it's willing to pay to bring the dome up to code, and could be up and running within a couple of months.

It would also lease the dome from the county.

But the deal has not been approved.

The county says it’s one of several options being weighed, but that it's not ruling anything out.

http://www.khou.com/....1641731a7.html

Edited by Urbannizer

Yeah Spider, listen to Gary. Give it a rest and shut up already. If you can't offer anything constructive to the conversation or to the promotion of Houston you should just tune in and drop out.

We don't need your stinking negativity! You aren't part of the solution. You're part of the problem.

Actually, the Dome would probably make great sound stages. Ever been to Culver City?, same sort of thing, but the Dome is prettier. Hollywood is losing it's movie industry. Even our small NM town has had some movies made here without all the great resources of a great city like Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, I just posted a topic about the entertainment industry in Texas, and how it lagging behind States like Georgia, California, Florida and New York. I really hope this happens, but for some reason, I think the people in charge of the decision will choose not to because that is the way it usually works in Houston, its like nothing cool is allowed for the city.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, I just posted a topic about the entertainment industry in Texas, and how it lagging behind States like Georgia, California, Florida and New York. I really hope this happens, but for some reason, I think the people in charge of the decision will choose not to because that is the way it usually works in Houston, its like nothing cool is allowed for the city.

If you were seriously forward-thinking, you would be down with the former Astrodome as an Agri-Center.

Movies are bullshit, kid. Think of the agricultural future of the planet, and not TV for a change.

• Like 1

If you were seriously forward-thinking, you would be down with the former Astrodome as an Agri-Center.

Movies are bullshit, kid. Think of the agricultural future of the planet, and not TV for a change.

Of the options that have been given crunch, the moviedome is the best. Agri-Center was not an option, and if it was it wouldn't be my top option. The entertainment industry is much more attractive than an agri-center.

Of the options that have been given crunch, the moviedome is the best. Agri-Center was not an option, and if it was it wouldn't be my top option. The entertainment industry is much more attractive than an agri-center.

Options given by whom?

Are you not equipped for a reasonable debate? I can assure you that quite a number of people are in favor of an agribusiness option for the dome. Let's just start with why, from an engineering and economic standpoint, you are in favor of a film studio. You go first, as I know your supporters have some damn tight ROI figures:

i think i have to agree with citykid09 on this one. movie and film industry seems much more exciting than a agriculture center. That seems like a big waste of space. If you want an agricenter, there's plenty of open land outside of the Houston metro area for that. :)

Edited by scarface

i think i have to agree with citykid09 on this one. movie and film industry seems much more exciting than a agriculture center. That seems like a big waste of space. If you want an agicenter, there's plenty of open land outside of the Houston metro area for that. :)

A huge concrete wasteland otherwise known as the AstroDomain could be used TO GROW STUFF, and then load it onto trucks to MOVE IT. The whole point is that the open exurban land is going to get built on. After the endless subdivisions go up, how do we maximize urban and suburban space ? The dome can be farmed in layers--stacks if you will. Jesus. I can't believe this is the thousand dollarsing future of urban planning. I can't believe I'm even having this conversation.

A huge concrete wasteland otherwise known as the AstroDomain could be used TO GROW STUFF, and then load it onto trucks to MOVE IT. The whole point is that the open exurban land is going to get built on. After the endless subdivisions go up, how do we maximize urban and suburban space ? The dome can be farmed in layers--stacks if you will. Jesus. I can't believe this is the thousand dollarsing future of urban planning. I can't believe I'm even having this conversation.

LOL! crunch that would be a great idea really it would if there was no space for that type of stuff, but this is Texas, there is plenty of land. I could see if this was Manhattan or some other small area and there was no way to grow enough with the land that was left. I think the movie/TV studio/museum/etc would be best. It will bring in lots of money, tourist will be attracted, and maybe Houston can get some talk shows taped their which will attract tourist to be on the shows. It would be great it is an attraction for music artist as well to record music, or shoot music videos.

If it can't be a movie studio, I really don't know what it could be used for. Well how about a city with a city. Astrodome city? apartments, a hotel, businesses, etc all in the dome.

• Like 1

We can turn the Dome into a giant indoor seascape, filling it with sharks and whales and sea anemones. That way, when people say, as they inevitably will, "Galveston sucks," we can direct them to the Astrogulf. The train goes right to it, and it's near the middle of town. No more pesky 50 minute drives!

• Like 1

i really hope this happens too, but like Kimberly i too am a tad pessimistic that this will go all the way. It seems in the past whenever Houston has the opportunity to do something great, it's always drops the ball. I hope and pray things will be different this time around!

BTA (but then again) maybe this will go the way of HP and actually get approved!

BTW- this is my first post in over 5 months. Did yall miss tierwestah?

Edited by tierwestah

It seems in the past whenever Houston has the opportunity to do something great, it's always drops the ball.

BTW- this is my first post in over 5 months. Did yall miss tierwestah?

Welcome back tierwestah, I feel the same way, but when you try to say that on HAIF, some people get uptight and say you don't know what you are talking about.

How is privatizing a public building a good idea in this case?

Well it isn't so public now, you could just walk in now if you wanted to. They will have a museum in it as well and I am sure you can get studio tours. Letting the movie studio use it is better than letting it sit empty for more years. What solution do you have to keep it a public building that can be used by the citizens of Houston? A giant indoor park?