Hurricane Ike

Trae

Cancel that 'power on' comment. House across the street caught fire 2 hours after power was restored. Brought down a garage apartment, and most of house. Burned power pole, transformer blew. Crews shut off power again.

Man, these Heights houses burn fast! Those of you still without power, go turn off the breakers to your major appliances and AC now! When power comes on, it often surges, and can overload the circuits. This house was completely consumed before HFD could even get here.

Photo from my front porch. Garage is directly behind the bungalow. This is after fire was largely burned out. When I first saw it, flames were a good 50 feet in the air.

%7Boption%7D

Same thing happend to a family friend :o

His gas stove-top turned on because of the surge and caught the whole house on fire.

I unplugged all appliances, but A/C is still plugged in... I don't see what the A/C could do to catch fire.

scary stuff!

Going home soon, to no power. So bye HAIF

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Willow Meadows (77035) is really starting to pickup.

Everybody has electricity! (Except my street)

77035 as of 09/27/08 7:00 AM is 11% without power.

Last night on S. Post Oak I saw 20 power trucks, guided by Ford F150s or what not.

This morning, on the way to work I noticed 20+ power trucks on 610 South... It's coming!

Day 15 WITH POWER!

So, I'm sitting here reading HAIF when I hear the neighbor outside. He has managed to corral a Centerpoint rep and is explaining that our block is the only one dark. They are working on the alley across the street where the fire occurred to get the rest of them back online. She insists that our side was fixed yeaterday. With a lot of sweet talking (honey better than vinegar) he convinces the crew to come back. With myself and the neighbor coordinating the turning off of generators (5 linemen have been killed by electrocution), and the crew at either end of the block, 30 minutes of checking circuit breakers later...voila! Electricity! As others have noted, we could hear the neighbors yelling and cheering.

We ran door to door to make sure everyone was on before we let the crew leave. Big tip of the hardhat to our new favorite Canadian, Ron, the Asplundh guy! :D

Where did you find this info regarding the 5 linemen?

From the lineman in my yard. He said some of the deaths resulted from mistakes made by the deceased, but he suggested that at least a couple may have resulted from improper use of generators sending power back through the lines.

EDIT: I should clarify that I am not sure that all 5 died from electrocution. It is possible that some may have died from falls or other mishaps, other than electrocution.

2ND EDIT: The house pictured in post #1203 reignited this morning about 4:00 am. The fire department had a hard time finding it the second time back for some reason. Neighbor said the flames got pretty big again before it was put out the second time.

Agreed.

Thanks HAIF for all the great information and resources during this time.

Hurricane Ike made history for me. (Worst hurricane I have ever been through. Longest power-outage in my life.)

Ditto... this was really my first hurricane... I was here for Rita but I don't really consider that "hitting" us... just got my power on Friday... 2 weeks w/o power... crazy! The husband just informed me that cable and internet came back today... so back to normal! Bring on winter! ha ha :D

Nice to have both cable & internet.

My internet was on immediately. Dish Network's satellite dish got misaligned and the dish needs to be pointed again. My RPTV is HD-Ready and not HD-Intergrated so I cannot watch DTV locals, I can't even access local channels via OTA. I need a 1080p DLP :D

I feel bad for everybody still without power. As of 09/28/08 - 12:00 PM.

Good luck everybody!

So, I'm sitting here reading HAIF when I hear the neighbor outside. He has managed to corral a Centerpoint rep and is explaining that our block is the only one dark. They are working on the alley across the street where the fire occurred to get the rest of them back online. She insists that our side was fixed yeaterday. With a lot of sweet talking (honey better than vinegar) he convinces the crew to come back. With myself and the neighbor coordinating the turning off of generators (5 linemen have been killed by electrocution), and the crew at either end of the block, 30 minutes of checking circuit breakers later...voila! Electricity! As others have noted, we could hear the neighbors yelling and cheering.

We ran door to door to make sure everyone was on before we let the crew leave. Big tip of the hardhat to our new favorite Canadian, Ron, the Asplundh guy! :D

Glad you and others are back on!

That's sad about the house that burned. I heard the sirens and helicopter - was wondering what was up.

Archived