70's And 80's Mall Stores

srm

As most teens did in the 80's, I spent a lot of time trolling the mall! I'm trying to remember all those shops we used to love to buy clothes at. Here are some that come to mind:

Clothing:

County Seat

Jean's West

Merry-Go-Round

Dejaiz

Chess King

Foxmoor

The Gap (when it was strictly jeans and t-shirts)

Judy's

Some other mall stores that are now defunct:

Kinney's shoes

Thom McAn

Wicks n Sticks

Morrow's Nut House

Art Standing

Hickory Farms

Woolworth's

Baker's Shoes

The Wild Pair

Anybody else out there have memories of great shops in the malls of the 70's and 80's? I know there are tons more. Open your memories!

As most teens did in the 80's, I spent a lot of time trolling the mall! I'm trying to remember all those shops we used to love to buy clothes at. Here are some that come to mind:

Clothing:

County Seat

Remember their jingle? "The County Seat, the County Seat, just direct your feet to the County Seat!"

• Like 1

I remember many of those places. I also remember:

Units - Remember this fad?! It was basic knit pieces that you mixed and matched -most outfits were finished off with a fabric "belt" ( a tube of fabric). I remember the stores having walls of cubbies w/ the pieces in there.

Contempo - didn't shop there much, but some friends did

579 -I think these might still exist

I remember Outback Red clothes, but can't remember who sold them.

I also shopped sometimes at Gap, Express, Lerners (now NY&Co) and Banana Republic - all stores that still exist.

BTW these would be mid -late 80's stores.

I remember many of those places. I also remember:

Units - Remember this fad?! It was basic knit pieces that you mixed and matched -most outfits were finished off with a fabric "belt" ( a tube of fabric). I remember the stores having walls of cubbies w/ the pieces in there.

Contempo - didn't shop there much, but some friends did

579 -I think these might still exist

I remember Outback Red clothes, but can't remember who sold them.

I also shopped sometimes at Gap, Express, Lerners (now NY&Co) and Banana Republic - all stores that still exist.

BTW these would be mid -late 80's stores.

Outback Red clothing - sold in the late 80's - was sold by The Limited. I used to love that brand.

And as to another post, I do remember that County Seat jingle. Remember the old Gap jingle "Fall into the Gap..." I think it was duplicitous (and perhaps solicitous!). :blush: Kind of like, "Nothing comes between me and my Calvins..."

We used to get music shirts from H&H music that said stuff like HAMMER GUITARS and D-DRUMS, we couldn't play a single note but the girls didn't know that. Parachute pants and Go Round are still things tied together in my mind and Chess King always reminds me of Michael Jackson's Jackets.

We used to get music shirts from H&H music that said stuff like HAMMER GUITARS and D-DRUMS, we couldn't play a single note but the girls didn't know that. Parachute pants and Go Round are still things tied together in my mind and Chess King always reminds me of Michael Jackson's Jackets.

Back when Michael Jackson was still Michael Jackson.

I also remember a store outside the mall that we loved...Miller's Outpost. They had great jeans.

Miller's Outpost for surf threads

Some stuff like at All That Glitter's

Anywhere to find New Wave threads. Still have saved. :rolleyes:

Resale shops on lower Westheimer and at places like Purple Heart for that old 60's mod attire. (a phase I was going thru at the time) then the same with similar stores on Melrose Ave in LA.

Didn't Millers Outpost have a model train that went around the store or am I just crazy? Also I remember the Gap stores having a orange decor and a small white tunnel near the entrance.

No trains that I recall at Miller's Outpost. There was one at the Galleria and I normally went to the new one at Almeda Mall or at least it was across the street from there. Always had my fav Ocean Pacific t-shirts, footwear, etc. Evens sold Tropical Blend suntan to give it that tropical effect. Only thing missing was a Pina Colada. Fun days. :D

The store looked like this I am almost certain:

537181123_2bfbc32dde.jpg?v=0

The Wild Pair for the latest in Billy Idol or Adam Ant shoes.

Our girlfriend's wanted us to look as close to these guys as possible. <_<

The girls (we all knew anyway) wanted to either be Joan Jett look-a-likes or the Cindi Lauper/Valley Girl look. :wacko:

lowe_i.jpgPat20Benatar-7.jpgCindyLauper.jpg417771.jpg

Ooh! The Wild Pair! My grandmother took me to the wild pair at the Galleria back in the early 70's and bought me a pair of dark brown leather desert boot looking shoes. I remember they cost 38 dollars which was a bundle for a pair of shoes back then. 38 years or so later I still have them, they still fit and I still wear them. I've gone through many shoe laces but I still love them and the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so so true. The rest of my clothes were from Foleys, Joskes and Size 579 shop.

Ooh! The Wild Pair! My grandmother took me to the wild pair at the Galleria back in the early 70's and bought me a pair of dark brown leather desert boot looking shoes. I remember they cost 38 dollars which was a bundle for a pair of shoes back then. 38 years or so later I still have them, they still fit and I still wear them. I've gone through many shoe laces but I still love them and the old saying "you get what you pay for" is so so true. The rest of my clothes were from Foleys, Joskes and Size 579 shop.

I miss Joske's ---- Dillard's has just never been as good as Joske's was. I was very petite and they had a teen section (not children's, not adults, but the section had sizing for teens with an adult look). That was the place we shopped all the time before I finally grew!

That pic in another post of Miller's Outpost. Wow! Where did you find that? I loved Miller's Outpost. We also had a store in Texas City and I think there was one in Pasadena too and it was called "The Fair". They had great clothes, too. Those are some pretty steep prices for the 80's!

And the prices on those clothes in that ad. Wow, clothing prices haven't increased as much as I thought they had!!

judy's had a guys section.

we also loved matinique on the third floor of the galleria. linen jackets with shoulder pads. i had willie wear, matinique and girbaud, mostly from marshall fields or neiman marcus. god, i just remembered generra clothing from foleys. i still have a perry ellis vest and some armani ties from the late eighties, early nineties.

"you can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind."

When I was a Teen you had three choices. Sears and Roebuck, F. W. Woolworth's, and the Feed Store. You could send off to a JC Penny's in Houston and get a pair of jeans. You could mail order Levis from Sears and Roebuck, F. W. Woolworth's wasn't much more than a five and dime, with a soda fountain, but they had some Wrangler Jeans. The feed store carried Lee bibs and Lee dungarees. Weren't any malls around back then.

judy's had a guys section.

we also loved matinique on the third floor of the galleria. linen jackets with shoulder pads. i had willie wear, matinique and girbaud, mostly from marshall fields or neiman marcus. god, i just remembered generra clothing from foleys. i still have a perry ellis vest and some armani ties from the late eighties, early nineties.

"you can dance if you want to, you can leave your friends behind."

That does it! When I get home I am going into the archived 80's New Wave threads look at each label and then report back.

For most going out stuff I had to get whatever looked as clsoe as the group Duran Duran and for the concert dressed look, down were t-shirts from Warehouse Records and Tapes & Sound Warehouse and Soundwaves on Broadway! Here are some samples... (still miraculously have the 52's T-shirt) :o

1464038287_l.jpgimg.php?mode=release&path=16136.jpg

Finally dug through the 80's garb ie; shirts/pants :ph34r::)

Labeled names are Cotler and Bugle Boy pants and the Duran, Duran shirts have Paul Davlis - Paris on them. Certain I bought at some very retro store in the Galleria, like on 2 level facing South. The store also had cool leather belts with spikes, Billy Idol fingerless gloves, and of course those very expensive Adam Ant boots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugle_Boy

Deerskin%20Fingerless%20Glove.jpg

Anybody remember the "Gap Warehouse" at Pasadena Town Square Mall? They had "Gap Warehouse" brand clothes. It was kind of the pre-cursor to the Gap Outlet, and they had "Old Navy" clothes there too (before there was Old Navy)... I think that was more in the very early 90s though.

• 3 months later...

Clothing:

County Seat

Jean's West

Merry-Go-Round

Dejaiz

Chess King

Foxmoor

The Gap (when it was strictly jeans and t-shirts)

Judy's

Some other mall stores that are now defunct:

Kinney's shoes

Thom McAn

Wicks n Sticks

Morrow's Nut House

Art Standing

Hickory Farms

Woolworth's

Baker's Shoes

The Wild Pair

Anybody else out there have memories of great shops in the malls of the 70's and 80's? I know there are tons more. Open your memories!

Almeda Mall had a pipe tobacco store w/ all those big jars...that place smelled good, I think it was called the "Pipe Pub".