Royal Coach Inn At 7000 Southwest Fwy.

enviromain

During the 70's my parents bought our family annual swimming pool memberships at the Royal Coach Inn. This continued for years. We brought family and friends there to play Marco Polo or whatever. The signs posted there said "no cut-offs" due to filter clogging, lol. We entered through a specific back door to enter the pool area. We were informed by posted signs if a famous person was staying there and we were not allowed there to swim that day(s).

Elvis, The Osmonds, and more stars stayed there in order to play/act at the Houston Arena Theatre (down the street).

I would love it if someone out there had some pics of the Royal Coach Inn, especially the pool area. Is anybody out there (no Pink Floyd intended)? Any information would be great!

Thanks,

Jules

Edit: Castle like!!

MYRyJB0.jpg

Elvis, The Osmonds, and more stars stayed there in order to play/act at the Houston Arena Theatre (down the street).

I would love it if someone out there had some pics of the Royal Coach Inn, especially the pool area. Is anybody out there (no Pink Floyd intended)? Any information would be great!

No pics to share. Just my favorite memory. For years in the 60s and 70s, the University of Texas Football team would stay at the Royal Coach when it came to town to play Rice. That weekend only, the Texas Ex manager and other staff members called the place "The Coach Royal Inn".

No pics to share. Just my favorite memory. For years in the 60s and 70s, the University of Texas Football team would stay at the Royal Coach when it came to town to play Rice. That weekend only, the Texas Ex manager and other staff members called the place "The Coach Royal Inn".

Do any of you know the (former) address?

• 6 years later...

Hey all - I've searched the forums and apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.  In the early 80s, I remember there being (what I believe to be) a hotel that looked like a castle on 59 near Clarewood.  I think it had a crenellated roof and, maybe, shields around it's upper portion.  It was quite impressive to my ten year old self.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, Dunfey's owned the Royal Coach Inn for most of its short history. At one time Dunfey's owned several other Royal Coach Inns and a number of other motor hotels around the country, but they sold them off to get away from "drive-in" lodging. It became the first company to franchise hotels, and eventually became the powerhouse corporation known as Omni Hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It was also known as the Camelot Inn at one point in time, and also at one time had three restaurants (or at least that's what the Chron said) operating inside of it. After it was torn down it was sold to Venture, who intended to build a discount store on the site (but they never did). The car dealership came later (I don't think the car dealership is a converted Venture).

• 8 months later...

Cross referencing from another this hotel operated as Radisson Inn & Conference Center for a short time before it closed in the mid 1980s, found via this newspaper clip. This picture, from Arcade Preservation Wiki is supposed to be the Houston location. Is it?

http://arcadepreservation.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Coach_Inn_arcade?file=Royalcoachinnexterior.jpeg

• The title was changed to Royal Coach Inn At 7000 Southwest Fwy.

Archived