Greenspoint Mall Memories

Wildcats

I remember Scooby's Pipe Organ Pizza in the center directly across from Greenspoint. It then became Birra Porretti's and now I don't know what it is...

I also remember crawling around on some sort of playground facility inside the mall that had several levels of stacked cubes.

And of course...Brother's Pizza.

That was waaaaaaay back when Greenspoint was the furthest Mall North...before Willowbrook Mall...and long before The Woodlands Mall.

Edited by mrfootball

• 2 years later...

I grew up going to Greenspoint Mall and have fond memories of it. When I pass the mall, I feel sad because it looks nothing like I remember - haven't even stepped foot inside in about 10 years. Anyone have any memories of the mall during better times? I fondly remember:

Coach House Gifts - that store was full of stuff that you just had to touch - kinda like a tame Spencers

Chick-fil-a - Wasn't it 2 stories tall? I was really young when it was open

The Levi Jeans Store - I've never seen so much wood panel in a retail store!

2 Visible Changes salons - the original by Penny's and "Visible Changes Too" by the food court

All the fake trees and lights that lined the walkways

Brother's Pizza - I think it's actually still there. Good, greasy pizza that was larger than the plate it was served on!

Brother's Pizza - I think it's actually still there. Good, greasy pizza that was larger than the plate it was served on!

I just ate lunch there yesterday. Definitely a hidden treasure, as no one expects decent (let alone really good) pizza in a mall food court.

I remember when the mall first opened. It was a really big deal, as at that time it was the largest mall in Houston. I grew up only a couple of miles south of it, so I spent a lot of time there when I was younger.

Some other long-gone businesses/places there:

Pipe Pub

Mr. Dunderbak's (pseudo-German deli)

Battlestein's

General Cinema theaters

The big waterfall in the center court

It's probably hard to believe for those who've only seen the mall in its current ghetto fabulous incarnation, but it used to cater to an upscale (God, I hate that word) clientele. Quite a few of my co-workers are afraid of the place and won't set foot inside it, especially after the shooting that took place a few months ago.

Anyone have any memories of the mall during better times?

Sure do! That was my mall growing up in the '80s.

I remember:

Aladdin's Castle arcade

Babbages, then Electronics Boutique (before the days of EB Games)

Kay Bee toys

Chick-fil-A (though I don't remember it being two stories)

Wyatt's Cafeteria

and finally, General Cinema. I must have seen dozens of films at that theater over the years.

I remember a sculpture that showed some kids on a swing or something like that. I haven't been there in more than 10 years, so I don't know if it's still there.

Now that I think about, I think I spent more time on the Foley's side of the mall than the Joske's/Dillard's/Sears side

We once had a huge Sales/Marketing event at the Windham. This was back in 94. They thought it was bad then (out of town guests) were afraid to jogging etc after reading and hearing about it in papers back then. There have been numerous topics on this infamous part of the city. I personally think it looks nice from a faaaar away distance like on the freeway peering down. Kind of like peeking down a snake pit. :D

I have a secret confession. I STILL get my hair done at the visible changes in greenspoint mall. I grew up in the Woodlands in the early 80s and back then Greenshpoint was the only place to shop near by. It was also a damn cool mall. You guys forgot the Units store! Oh how I loved Units!! Or were they Multiples? Either way .... memories...

forgot to add, that the same woman has been doing my hair for the last 16 years. that is the ONLY reason I still go to Greenspoint.

I have a secret confession. I STILL get my hair done at the visible changes in greenspoint mall. I grew up in the Woodlands in the early 80s and back then Greenshpoint was the only place to shop near by. It was also a damn cool mall. You guys forgot the Units store! Oh how I loved Units!! Or were they Multiples? Either way .... memories...

forgot to add, that the same woman has been doing my hair for the last 16 years. that is the ONLY reason I still go to Greenspoint.

I used to work at Visible Changes waaaaay back in the day! Lots of the stylists have been there since it opened. There were always rumors that location would be shut down, even back in the 90's, but it's still there!

Sure do! That was my mall growing up in the '80s.

I remember:

Aladdin's Castle arcade

Babbages, then Electronics Boutique (before the days of EB Games)

Kay Bee toys

Chick-fil-A (though I don't remember it being two stories)

Wyatt's Cafeteria

and finally, General Cinema. I must have seen dozens of films at that theater over the years.

I remember a sculpture that showed some kids on a swing or something like that. I haven't been there in more than 10 years, so I don't know if it's still there.

Now that I think about, I think I spent more time on the Foley's side of the mall than the Joske's/Dillard's/Sears side

I've gotta go just for that pizza!! Brothers had another hidden location on 45N/Cypresswood in a strip. I have no idea if it's still there...was about 5 years ago.

Yep, went to the movies there many many times. I think the last movie I saw there was Batman Returns. I have no idea why I'm thinking the Chick-fil-a was 2 stories - ha! I do remember it was by Montgomery Wards. I spent more time on the Foley's side too. That Gap by Foley's was like one of the last "name brand" stores to close, so I heard. I can't believe it lasted that long!

I also remember Beeper Boutique - haha! I had to have every colored case they carried

I live in North Houston about 7 miles from the mall. I went by this past weekend to just see what all the hulabaloo is about and I was pleasantly surprised. It is not a mall of gangsters and thieves as so many people make it out to be, but it does have a young, urban element of mainly Hispanic and African American teens --many of them dressed hip-hoppish (is that a term?).

I understand the stories in the papers about its violence, but they seemed to have a LOT of security (this was a Saturday afternoon) and everything seemed peaceful and in order, if not just extremely busy (back-to-school shopping).

I am not saying it is the Galleria, but I think a lot of people condemn it because of its predominant demographics, which, let's face it, a lot of folks are uncomfortable with.

All the fake trees and lights that lined the walkways

Whoa, they were FAKE? That's too bad, even though I've never been to it, I was thinking how awesome the "full size ficus trees were".

Shouldn't this go in the Houston History section, like the Memorial City Mall one I made?

Edited by IronTiger

• 4 weeks later...

I remember back when Greenspoint Mall was a very busy mall. At christmas time they were so congested that they had to have police directing traffic. And every Independence Day there would be a huge fireworks show. Those days are gone now. I still go there every once in a blue moon and it's not as bad as some people claim as far as crime etc. Since it's mostly black and hispanic patrons, some people have a problem with that. I read somewhere that they were supposed to remodel/revitalize the mall and was wondering when the construction would start. I've always said that all those low income apartments in that area is what brought that mall down. Hopefully after the remodeling it will pick back up because it would be such a waste.

I remember back when Greenspoint Mall was a very busy mall. At christmas time they were so congested that they had to have police directing traffic. And every Independence Day there would be a huge fireworks show. Those days are gone now. I still go there every once in a blue moon and it's not as bad as some people claim as far as crime etc. Since it's mostly black and hispanic patrons, some people have a problem with that. I read somewhere that they were supposed to remodel/revitalize the mall and was wondering when the construction would start. I've always said that all those low income apartments in that area is what brought that mall down. Hopefully after the remodeling it will pick back up because it would be such a waste.

I live and work in the area and have been hearing buzz about a lot of changes to the mall and the area, but I have yet to see anything concrete happening.

I remember the Best store across the street. I got a Scooby Doo board game from there that I loved playing with it. It was like a 3 dimensional board game. That was one of my favorite toys.

They used to have the neatest water features with the chimes at Greenspoint.

Haven't been there in years.

I remember Best. I also remember the Sports Town and Pharmor across the freeway. I loved Sports Town! They sold this Gatorade gum there that I would beg my mom to buy. I've never seen Gatorade gum anywhere else.

Where was the water feature with chimes? I'm trying to remember, but can't.

Oh, I remember Gatorade gum! Seemed it was only around briefly. I used to get it from the corner store in my grandma's neighborhood. They also had Dr. Pepper gum. They were both good.

I remember Best. I also remember the Sports Town and Pharmor across the freeway. I loved Sports Town! They sold this Gatorade gum there that I would beg my mom to buy. I've never seen Gatorade gum anywhere else.

Where was the water feature with chimes? I'm trying to remember, but can't.

They had several scattered throughout the mall.

Oh, I remember Gatorade gum! Seemed it was only around briefly. I used to get it from the corner store in my grandma's neighborhood. They also had Dr. Pepper gum. They were both good.

They had several scattered throughout the mall.

Ahhhh, Gunspoint...

I remember it back in it's 70's/80's heyday. Used to hang out there quite often! It was safer back then.

Dis

• 4 weeks later...

From birth (1976) through 3rd grade, I lived in Cypresswood, and at that time Greenspoint was our mall. What I remember best is all the waterfalls throughout the mall, some of them very elaborate with passageways to walk through, etc. I also remember the kids' shoe department at Foley's, which had a Star Wars theme, was like the inside of a spaceship, with radar screens, etc to look at and interact with. I also remember going to see the Empire Strikes Back in the theatre there - one of my first movies I remember. There was the pet store, where I got my first fish aquarium, and my brothers and I always loved the smell of pipe tobacco coming out of the Pipe Pub. I remember a Bennigan's style restaurant inside the mall, called "Dalton's"

Ah, yes, I remember Best - kind of like Service Merchandise (which used to be called Wilson's).

I also remember going to Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza across the street.

The trees inside weren't fake. They were ficuses.

Edited by Reefmonkey

• 2 weeks later...

From birth (1976) through 3rd grade, I lived in Cypresswood, and at that time Greenspoint was our mall. What I remember best is all the waterfalls throughout the mall, some of them very elaborate with passageways to walk through, etc. I also remember the kids' shoe department at Foley's, which had a Star Wars theme, was like the inside of a spaceship, with radar screens, etc to look at and interact with. I also remember going to see the Empire Strikes Back in the theatre there - one of my first movies I remember. There was the pet store, where I got my first fish aquarium, and my brothers and I always loved the smell of pipe tobacco coming out of the Pipe Pub. I remember a Bennigan's style restaurant inside the mall, called "Dalton's"

Ah, yes, I remember Best - kind of like Service Merchandise (which used to be called Wilson's).

I also remember going to Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza across the street.

I grew up at greenspoint mall, too, and worked at Foley's in my junior and senior year in high school. The restaurant you are referring to by Joske's was called "Dalt's". It was across from Houlihans. The ficus trees that lined the mall were real. It was a beautifully designed mall. The waterfall in the center of the mall allowed one to walk under it and had a cafe on the top with yellow umbrellas. The scuplture court, down by Foley's, was called "high flyers" and was dedicated by Pat Foley at the mall's grand opening in July, 1976. Unfortunately, the statue disappeared years ago and is rumored to be in storage by the owners of the mall. The fountain by Wards was unique as it sounded like a music box...as the pipes would fill up with water they would raise and then fall as they emptied hitting the metal bar making the music. The Foley's store was their 3rd largest (next to Downtown and Sharpstown). It was added onto shortly after its opening in 1976. Other notable upscale stores were the addition of Lord & Taylor in 1979, Isabell Gerhart (from The Galleria), Walter Pye's and Battelsteins (that later became Beall's). Brothers Pizza is still there and is run by the same family - the Bekiri's. I went to high school with many of them.

The mall as a huge draw for the north side of Houston and, at its zenith, was the highest grossing mall in the nation. Its fortunes began to change when Houston annexed the greenspoint area and the buslines came in 1986. Crime surged at that time and the flight from the area began. The opening of the Willowbrook, Deerbrook and Woodlands malls sealed the mall's fate.

Foley's and Lord & Taylor also had their own restaurants - Foley's was called the "Greenhouse" and L&T was called "Cafe American Style." There was an El Chico's down by Penney's which later became Casa Ole. Foley's was much more upscale then with their fur salon, full size candy department, stationery/gifts, personal shopper, travel, portrait studio, beauty salon, etc.

I absolutely despise Macy's. Anyone else feel that way?

I have the same feelings about Macy's - ick. I haven't been in Foley's (Macy's) at Greenspoint in a looooooooong time. I actually used to work at the Gap right in front of the Macy's a loooooong time ago. There was a 5-7-9, music store, Bag and Baggage, and other stores I can't remember in that wing. I also loved Coach House Gifts right next the the movie theatre and Chick-fil-a.

I grew up at greenspoint mall, too, and worked at Foley's in my junior and senior year in high school. The restaurant you are referring to by Joske's was called "Dalt's". It was across from Houlihans. The ficus trees that lined the mall were real. It was a beautifully designed mall. The waterfall in the center of the mall allowed one to walk under it and had a cafe on the top with yellow umbrellas. The scuplture court, down by Foley's, was called "high flyers" and was dedicated by Pat Foley at the mall's grand opening in July, 1976. Unfortunately, the statue disappeared years ago and is rumored to be in storage by the owners of the mall. The fountain by Wards was unique as it sounded like a music box...as the pipes would fill up with water they would raise and then fall as they emptied hitting the metal bar making the music. The Foley's store was their 3rd largest (next to Downtown and Sharpstown). It was added onto shortly after its opening in 1976. Other notable upscale stores were the addition of Lord & Taylor in 1979, Isabell Gerhart (from The Galleria), Walter Pye's and Battelsteins (that later became Beall's). Brothers Pizza is still there and is run by the same family - the Bekiri's. I went to high school with many of them.

The mall as a huge draw for the north side of Houston and, at its zenith, was the highest grossing mall in the nation. Its fortunes began to change when Houston annexed the greenspoint area and the buslines came in 1986. Crime surged at that time and the flight from the area began. The opening of the Willowbrook, Deerbrook and Woodlands malls sealed the mall's fate.

Foley's and Lord & Taylor also had their own restaurants - Foley's was called the "Greenhouse" and L&T was called "Cafe American Style." There was an El Chico's down by Penney's which later became Casa Ole. Foley's was much more upscale then with their fur salon, full size candy department, stationery/gifts, personal shopper, travel, portrait studio, beauty salon, etc.

I absolutely despise Macy's. Anyone else feel that way?

Does anyone have any pics from Greenspoint in its heyday?? I would love to see some..