Where To Shop For Japanese Furniture In Houston?

hello all! my first visit and post to this forum, i hope this is not off-topic but it seems would not be!

i am recently moved to houston area from Tokyo, and am seeking somewhere in Houston area where i may shop for japanese furniture? importing furniture from japan would be very expensive for me, and i was hoping to find somewhere in Houston that deals in furniture like i seek. i wish to purchase:

tatami mats (for floor covering)

zabuton (seating cushions for floor)

tables that are low (12" to 15" in height?)

...among other items that i need, contemporary lighting and such.

if anyone could be kind to direct me to some appropriate places to shop for such furniture i would be very happy to receive! i do not need the most of expensive furnishings, but would like to find decent quality.

if anyone can help please post for me here, and thx in advance for any direction you to may send to me..!

Guest danax

Welcome to Houston. I don't know where you can find what you're looking for here. Perhaps try calling a Zen center. I want to let you know that I love the Japanese furniture and traditional carpentry. It seems the idea is to create a feeling of stillness...something needed in America and the hyperactive world in general.

thanks you to all who reply my question, very nice to find so much advice answer here! i will drive to the areas that are mentioned (bellaire, harwin)... i did visit a japanese restaurant here houston last night and tried to ask their shoji doors come from, but it turns not to have any japanese people working in it! i feel vary silly after speaking japanese to them and they only laugh, i don't speak any korean, haha!

i will look around more this week, i fall out of bed this weekend and hurt my head, it is to high up for me to be safe! thanks you all for your help, vary nice to find people here who try to help, i will keep looking, my apartment is small so not to much furniture do i need..!

I second tw2ntyse7en's suggestion of checking out the center at Wilcrest and Westheimer in the Westchase District for people to ask for suggestions. Several of the Japanese restaurants in that center are family owned by very nice people who I'm sure will be more than happy to give you advice on where to look. The couple that runs Yorimichi is especially friendly to their American customers, and I'd expect that they'd be willing to give you lots of suggestions. Just try to go in outside of busy hours -- the lunch crowd there can be pretty overwhelming for the staff. During off-peak business hours business should be slow enough that they have time to talk and give you ideas.

thanks you to all who reply my question, very nice to find so much advice answer here! i will drive to the areas that are mentioned (bellaire, harwin)... i did visit a japanese restaurant here houston last night and tried to ask their shoji doors come from, but it turns not to have any japanese people working in it! i feel vary silly after speaking japanese to them and they only laugh, i don't speak any korean, haha!

i will look around more this week, i fall out of bed this weekend and hurt my head, it is to high up for me to be safe! thanks you all for your help, vary nice to find people here who try to help, i will keep looking, my apartment is small so not to much furniture do i need..!

Anyone else smell a phony?

If I'm wrong, I apologize. But, the good spelling coupled with broken grammar in your posts seems to conjure an image of Crank Yankers. Again, forgive me, if this is not a fake. There's just something about the way you state things that sounds like a person trying to affect a Japanese accent in typed words.

i go to visit a japanese restaurant today at westheimer area, matsusaka grill is place, they show to me an ad of furniture store in chinese newpaper, they show tatami mat and zabuton seat, w/ many proper look japanese furniture items, it is on the Harwin street some mention here on fora, at Fondren cross... i try to visit tomorrow.

sorry for any bad grammer, my english is not perfect and my romanji is not so good either! what is 'Crank Yankers'? thanks to all for help, and any other advice or point where i can check... i hope to find real tatami platform, but maybe to large item to find here.

i go to visit a japanese restaurant today at westheimer area, matsusaka grill is place, they show to me an ad of furniture store in chinese newpaper, they show tatami mat and zabuton seat, w/ many proper look japanese furniture items, it is on the Harwin street some mention here on fora, at Fondren cross... i try to visit tomorrow.

sorry for any bad grammer, my english is not perfect and my romanji is not so good either! what is 'Crank Yankers'? thanks to all for help, and any other advice or point where i can check... i hope to find real tatami platform, but maybe to large item to find here.

Actually, I meant that your English is quite good -- your spelling and word choices just seem to outpace your sentence structure. For instance, the fact that you know proper punctuation and even some written shorthand, but still seem to mix up tense and subject-verb agreement seems really odd to me. Most people learn the rules of a spoken language much faster than the written rules. As it is, your posts read like a native English speaker trying to affect a Japanese accent.

I thought maybe you were cleverly trying to introduce a topic and generate responses. I didn't think you were trying to be funny. Oh well, maybe I'm just too suspicious.

Remember that guy that got everybody up-in-arms about hating Houston, only to reveal it was his evil plot all along to make us think about why we all love it?

I thought this smelled a little like that.

Could you point that thread out to me? I can't think of which one you're referring too.

I believe it was a first-generation HAIF thread, before the big crash of a year ago. So, I guess it's lost forever. The old-timers remember it, though.

This guy came in like some huge troll, worked everyone over for a month, or so -- downing everything about Houston. It generated a lot of discussion about how great the city is. In the end, he revealed that he was actually a big Houston booster.

• 4 years later...

I know this was awhile ago, but do you happen to remember the name of the store? I'm desperately looking for tatami mats. I don't want to pay $200 shipping buying them online.

Not Harwin st. but give em a quick buzz and see if they have something that meets your needs.

A Touch Of Japan

9896 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77036-3495

p: 713 270 9605

http://www.atouchofjapan.com/id94.html

===========

Also this one. Not sure if DOA or not.

Elegant Tatami Showroom

You can call also us at (713) 692-9288 or stop by our showroom in Northwest Houston at 6015 North Shepherd Drive, between Tidwell and Parker. We are open Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, and Saturday, 9 am to noon (Central Standard Time). To visit our showroom outside of normal business hours, please call for an appointment.

NEW SOUTHWEST HOUSTON LOCATION!!! We have just set up a display at the Golden Lotus Acupuncture Clinic (in Diho Square), where smaller merchandise items - lamps, pillows, comforters - are available for purchase.

Golden Lotus Acupuncture Clinic

9110 Bellaire Blvd. Suite B

Houston, TX 77036

Tel/Fax: (713) 772-2999

Business Hours: Mon. - Sun. 11 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040401161147/eleganttatami.com/tatami.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20040401104256/eleganttatami.com/contact_information.html

Edited by SchwinnChopper68

• 1 year later...

My family owns the business that used to be called A Touch of Japan. We changed our name to Asian Decor to more accurately reflect our growing collection of non-Japanese items. We carry tatami mats, beds, and sets. My father has also designed a number of tatami rooms for clients around Houston.

Our new store location is 6132 Village Parkway, next to Le Peep in Rice Village.

This is our updated website: www.asiandecorhouston.com

Thank you.

• The title was changed to Where To Shop For Japanese Furniture In Houston?
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...