Shops At Navigation: Retail Center At 2240 Navigation Blvd.

If tourism keeps booming down there, hopefully more options will come

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Record-holiday-crowds-descend-on-Galveston-4555192.php

As for the water - it is what it is.  Some days it's actually a more pleasant greenish color while others it can be a dark, murky brown - it's usually somewhere in-between.  I've never had a "film", though.  I do wish there was a better solution for the seaweed

The water is nicer some days than others, for sure. I have been pleasantly surprised going over the bridge more than a few times. I haven't actually been in the water there since I was a kid. The "film" I'm talking about wasn't visible, but I just remember feeling a particular "ickiness" coming out of the water in Galveston. Maybe that's not the case anymore...I wouldn't know and I'm not exactly "eager" to find out in the foreseeable future. The seaweed is also unappealing to say the least.

I think Galveston has a lot of potential, but it needs a WHOLE lot of work.

I think Galveston has a lot of potential, but it needs a WHOLE lot of work.

The 1-2 punch of Ike and the recession really hit Gaveston hard. They had a lot of momentum going before that happened and have just recently got back on track.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad we are seeing this place fill up. Interested in the what they fill with the remaining space. That development map is very suspect though. Bayou Village does not own all of that land north of the bayou and has no intention to build apartments there.... Although if they did, it would be a fantastic spot for residents wanting a down town view... Hopefully a Kroger or a Market Rate apartment gets built there and not more townhomes.

Bummer they put the parking in the front instead of behind the L. Whats up with the "Future East End Museum and Cultural District"? I haven't heard about that but it sounds like it could have potential. Would the businesses be moving then? There are two brick buildings (Dixie Plating Co and General Supply & Equipment?) that could be converted into gallery space. Maybe use the metal awning style warehouse north of Palmer for a farmers market (I noticed it has a covered loading dock that could be a nice area for food trucks).. possibly incorporate art into the market in some way (vendor booths, live demo work space, etc)? It looks like the railroad tracks have been completely abandoned through there, though there appear to be a few rail cars sitting near Commerce. The rail cars could be rolled north onto the site and incorporated as additional gallery space or installations in a unique setting. Maybe pave along the tracks as a pathway going from the bayou trails/Tony Marrow Park to Commerce? Idk, just throwing some ideas around after glancing over google maps..

Why does it show the Maritime Museum location where it is? I thought it was going at the Turning Basin..

• 6 months later...

While i wish the building was pushed to the sidewalk to have a more urban feel, the brick looks good. it matches the surrounding structures, new and old, pretty well. I live walking distance and am pumped for new restaurant options. EaDo dental signage is up already.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but the 3 story building across the street and next to Alamo tamale (which I think is Americas Plaza?), and the lot across the street and catty corner from this shopping center, which also contains an art gallery and previously belonged to Alan Atkinson. Per HCAD records, both these plots of land and buildings now belong to an entity named KBRN, LP. KBRN, LP also owns the old KBR property on Clinton (dubbed East River), just a couple of hundred feet away. As we all know, Midway is developing the East River project on Clinton. A search of KBRN on google places the address of this entity on 800 town and country, which also appears to be Midway's address, so in summary, it appears that Midway owns these two plots of land. Anyone heard anything about this? No announcement has been made that I know of. Hopefully it's part of a larger, exciting mixed use project and gateway into the East End.

plaza_Americas.jpg

• 1 month later...