Reid Memorial United Methodist Church At 5203 Fulton St.

Cemeterywolf

I had gotten a email about the Reid Memorial United Methodist Church located at 5203 Fulton, Houston,Texas. It had at one time a cemetery next to it called BROOKS CEMETERY. The church decided to expand around the 1940's so family of the deceased were asked to move their loved ones. Most were moved, some were not. Mary E. Peterson said her Grandfather William Henry Shackelford born 1883 ARK died in Houston 1913 is buried there. The problem is the church has no records. Where her grandfather is buried is covered over with a building and a paved driveway.

1. Would any one know how old the church building is?

2. Would any one know of or has heard of the Brooks Cemetery.

3. How could I find out what was located at this location back before 1940?

Thanks for any help.

post-5259-1216870312_thumb.jpg

post-5259-1216870332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cemeterywolf
  • Like 1

What a coincidence this post is. I used to attend this church in the '50s and was by there last week. My wife was out of town and I was planning to attend Sunday services there just for old time's sake. The telephone was disconnected so I did a drive by to see what time it started. Anyway, it is no longer Reid Memorial, it is a Hispanic Church now, I don't remember the name.

The cornerstone on the sanctuary says 1941.

If you dig around the city's planning site, you should be able to find the application for historic designation somewhere - maybe as an attachment to meeting minutes or something. The application should cover a lot of history. And the old city directories at the library would help you find what was at that address earlier - many have a reverse look-up listed by street address.

Edited by tmariar

• 2 weeks later...

I had gotten a email about the Reid Memorial United Methodist Church located at 5203 Fulton, Houston,Texas. It had at one time a cemetery next to it called BROOKS CEMETERY. The church decided to expand around the 1940's so family of the deceased were asked to move their loved ones. Most were moved, some were not. Mary E. Peterson said her Grandfather William Henry Shackelford born 1883 ARK died in Houston 1913 is buried there. The problem is the church has no records. Where her grandfather is buried is covered over with a building and a paved driveway.

Thanks for any help.

This post has been edited by Cemeterywolf: Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 @ 10:39pm

Attached File(s) gif.gif ReidMethodist2.jpg ( 100.36K ) Number of downloads: 31

gif.gif ReidMethodist.jpg ( 106.28K ) Number of downloads: 25

If I remember correctly, I think the cornerstone of the church says 1948 or 1949. However, parts of the church could be older; churches are typically built in stages or added to as funding becomes available.

I have never heard of Brooks Cemetary. I wonder if this "Brooks" also the "Brooke" of the nearby "Brookesmith" neighborhood?

I don't know about the church property itself, but I'm pretty sure that the land directly across Fulton was part of Lindale Park golf course until the late 1940s.

Thanks for any help.

This post has been edited by Cemeterywolf: Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 @ 10:39pm

Attached File(s) gif.gif ReidMethodist2.jpg ( 100.36K ) Number of downloads: 31

gif.gif ReidMethodist.jpg ( 106.28K ) Number of downloads: 25

1. Have you tried asking the church? This may sound dumb but they probably do know how old their building is if this is what you want.

2. You could try looking for William Henry Shackleford's death certificate to confirm that their was a cemetery named Brooks Cemetery and that it was in Houston. You could also ask the church if you could look through some of their old records, because I know churches that have records from cemeteries on their property.

3. Again, go ask the church, or look up public records dealing with the piece of land at 5203 Fulton. Anyway you want, it will take some research.

Hope I could help, and hope you find what you are looking for. (What are you looking for?)

Hey - I used to be at that church in the late 80s. The sanctuary at the corner of Fulton and Link was built in the late 1930's.

The history of the congregation - however - goes back to 1887 - I know that because we celebrated our centennial in 1987.

At one time, the name of the church was St. Luke's Methodist. (Unrelated to the big St. Luke's on Westheimer.) The name was changed as a tribute to the Reid family at the time of the sanctuary construction.

If I am not mistaken, the church originally went by the name of White Oak. This was when this was open country - "a long way from Houston." We used to have some pictures of the little white building - in the same location - it looked very rural.

I have some vague recollections about the cemetery....but nothing for sure.

Recently the original congregation has dwindled and it merged with a Spanish-speaking congregation - also United Methodist - that now comprises the bulk of the membership. Thus it is likely that few of the present leaders will have much information about the building's history.

Edited by Watchful

Hey - I used to be at that church in the late 80s. The sanctuary at the corner of Fulton and Link was built in the late 1930's.

The history of the congregation - however - goes back to 1887 - I know that because we celebrated our centennial in 1987.

At one time, the name of the church was St. Luke's Methodist. (Unrelated to the big St. Luke's on Westheimer.) The name was changed as a tribute to the Reid family at the time of the sanctuary construction.

If I am not mistaken, the church originally went by the name of White Oak. This was when this was open country - "a long way from Houston." We used to have some pictures of the little white building - in the same location - it looked very rural.

I have some vague recollections about the cemetery....but nothing for sure.

Recently the original congregation has dwindled and it merged with a Spanish-speaking congregation - also United Methodist - that now comprises the bulk of the membership. Thus it is likely that few of the present leaders will have much information about the building's history.

Thanks for the info. Would you have any pictures of the little white building?

• 8 months later...
There is no cemetery UNDER the church ... The original church pastor, Rev. John W. Eichwurzel established a family cemetery on his land ... the church land also comes from his original land purchase in 1878 ...

Mr. Shackelford is buried in the Eichwurzel Cemetery located on Enid ... His 1913 death certificate clearly states he is buried in the White Oak Cemetery ... not Brooke Cemetery ...

This cemetery has also been known as:

Eichwurzel Family Cemetery

Little White Oak Bayou Cemetery

Sylvester Road Cemetery

White Oak Bayou Cemetery

I guess there is some confusion with the church and cemetery as they are both located on the land originally owned by Rev. Eichwurzel ... but now under the cemetery ...

See .... www.findagrave.com ... for more info on this cemetery ...

Thanks for the info. The lady that give me this material was sure there was a cemetery under the church parking lot...

Thanks again.... George

• 10 years later...

I was married in this church August 19, 1949 by Reverend Boone. Later, after he retired, and my husband was killed in the Korean War, Reverend Boone performed my second marriage at a location downtown Houston, Smith St perhaps. He failed to record that license and no record can be found of that marriage. Boone had several children and I wonder if they might have his records. Anyone with info, please email me. Happy life!

• The title was changed to Reid Memorial United Methodist Church At 5203 Fulton St.