Five Allen Center: Office Tower At 400 Dallas St.

roadrunner

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 37-floors now;'~1 million square feet.

I had a feeling this was bound to happen. In all honesty, there were indications this was going to be 30 floors... So at 37 floors, I am good with that.

The lot itself is one of the best IMO. Easy access from freeways into the office, great views, etc... This building would be very obvious from the common "downtown skyline" view we often see.

I hear you, my thoughts are just the opposite though. It would look bad if it was short enough to not "cover up" Allen Center 3 entirely. I imagine it as if the Heritage Plaza was 37 stories with the 50+ story Enterprise tower behind it, it wouldn't work. I think if you want to build on this side with all the other dominant towers, it should be very tall.

I'd be surprised if this or One Market Square were built in the foreseeable future. There's about 3.5 million square feet of new office space opening up in the next four years between 609 Main, 6 Houston Center, 800 Bell (with the renovation) and the Capitol Tower (I still think that will end up being constructed). I have yet to see significant tenants announced for any of those projects.

In terms of 'dream construction,' I would much prefer that complex at 7200 Main be developed for BioTech companies to locate near the TMC. The proposals for 5 Allen Center have never really excited me, and One Market Square, although a cool design, happens to sit on land that I think would be prime for high-rise residential development once Hines and the other 40-story apartment building are constructed. It would be neat to have Market Square as a residential hub.

Brookfield did sell property downtown in order to increase their cash liquidity for something... many speculated that they are going to use the profits on Allen Center. I think the better investment would be new construction opposed to the (unneeded) renovation of 1 Allen. Also, 37 floors seems to be an usually specific number. If it gets built, It is probably due to some sort of tennant arrangements.

Personally, I would rather see something built here now, then wait another 10 years.

Yeah, I don't expect to see this one get built any time soon.  International Tower also seems pretty unlikely at the moment and I'm skeptical about 6 Houston Center.

I don't understand why you say that. Not only does the 6 Houston Center property now have the banner around the perimeter, but it is publicly known that this is just a few weeks away from being started. 

As for International Tower (now One Market Square) and 5AC, that's a little more understandable. Although the market probably can't support these two towers, that doesn't mean this city won't overbuild and have two partially vacant towers. 

BG Group Place had not tenants, now it is 96 percent leased.  Five Allen center should have been built to take advantage of corporate companies wanted new office space with LEED certification.  I know 609 Main has a major tenant, we will know soon.  Five Allen Center and Stream/Essex International tower I think are dead.  I wish they could build Five Allen center.  Three Allen center looks like a Godiva box with no chocolate, it so ugly!  

I don't understand why you say that. Not only does the 6 Houston Center property now have the banner around the perimeter, but it is publicly known that this is just a few weeks away from being started

It's not the first time this has happened.... some years ago they have a big party to celebrate its groundbreaking... the VERY next day workers were busy taking down all the banners, "Coming soon" signs, etc...

The whole thing was cancelled.

I don't understand why you say that. Not only does the 6 Houston Center property now have the banner around the perimeter, but it is publicly known that this is just a few weeks away from being started. 

As for International Tower (now One Market Square) and 5AC, that's a little more understandable. Although the market probably can't support these two towers, that doesn't mean this city won't overbuild and have two partially vacant towers. 

It's publicly known that 6 Houston Center is just a few weeks from being started?  Is that based on the Downtown Houston Development Map that says construction is starting in the 2nd quarter of 2014 (which ended a few weeks ago)?  Have they even taken soil samples?   Note that behind that lovely marketing banner is a surface lot completely full of parked cars.

We've seen this kabuki before from Crescent with regard to 6 Houston Center.  Remember the ground-breaking they had back in 2008?  I hope my skepticism is misplaced (although I'd like more to be wrong about International Tower).

EDIT:  This got me curious, so I went to see if they have pulled any building permits.  Good news.  It appears they pulled a permit in March for "site work and foundation for office tower" and one in April for "new high rise superstructure for future..."   I wonder if they had building permits back in 2008...

Five Allen Center and Stream/Essex International tower I think are dead.

They are 100% not dead. When I think of dead, that sounds like nothing is happening in the background for these projects and that's completely not true. Towers can't just start construction over night and for everyone that keeps saying this has been discussed for years... well yea, 2008 happened and the US experienced one of the slowest recoveries, even if Houston survived through most of it. And just because things aren't being updated on the web doesn't mean that Brookfield and Essex/Stream aren't working in the background. Most of what happens can't even be shared on the web for confidentiality reasons.

We all know they had a celebration for Six Houston Center... old news... again, that was 2008... look what happened....and apparently it was never cancelled or we wouldn't even be talking about Six Houston Center still.

Three Allen center looks like a Godiva box with no chocolate, it so ugly!  

It's not that ugly. The dark brown places nicely in Houston's color pallet. It's a very early 1980's, possibly late 1970's design that looks like it came straight from Tokyo's Shinjuku District. 

Very true!  Opinions are like... well we know!

I never thought Mickey Leeland was ugly either.  Very underwhelming, although it has a fun plan.

By far Houston's period of its ugliest buildings is the one from the late 1990s - early/mid 2000s (in my opinion).

Very true!  Opinions are like... well we know!

I never thought Mickey Leeland was ugly either.  Very underwhelming, although it has a fun plan.

By far Houston's period of its ugliest buildings is the one from the late 1990s - early/mid 2000s (in my opinion).

One word goes a long way towards confirming this notion: Mercer.

The bar on top of the wedge is still open, been up there a few times, only 1-2 other people up there every time.  Food sucks big time, drinks are ok, but a bit pricey.  They also do not allow cameras up there, only cell phone pics allowed.

Archived