Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.

sheeats

I had typed a one word post earlier this week that had said "Brainwashed". Editor deleted it and then posted that we stay on topic. What I meant was that for the people of this church to be so consumed with spending money on this, rather than spend the money on our own homeless, unemployed, orphaned children, disabled veterans, seniors, or just the disabled/handicapped tells me that they are more concerned with the image of Christianity, rather than the message of Christianity. Its attitudes like this that drove me away from the Church and have continued to keep me away.

Just my .02 cents. I hope this post doesn't get deleted too.

EDIT: Someone mentioned "Well, at least they didn't build it taller, like another one somewhere else.." The only reason they didn't build taller, per the pastor of the church on the news, was that the FAA would allow it. So you can only imagine how tall this thing would be with no restrictions - and thus that much more wasted money on the symbolism of Christianity, and not the substance.

Edited by Jeebus

img_8342small.jpg

It matches the power lines in the background. . .

I spent several years under those power lines (or right across the street). Those power lines, and the fields and ditches around them (pre-Beltway) were our hangout when I was a kid.

I used to go to Sagemont Baptist Church, back when it was still one building. I was saved and baptized there. But even as a 10-year old I could sense that something wasn't right about the building spree they went on. I stopped going to church shortly after they built the gigantic auditorium. It seemed to me, even as a child, that the almighty dollar was bigger than the Almighty.

I recall when they bought the shopping center across the street. I thought they were getting big for their britches.

Now, looking at an aerial, looks like they've exploded.

Pretty good business model, apparently.

They own the shopping center across the street? What do they use it for? I've noticed a few churches in the area have done similar.

It's been about 20 years since I was over there, but as I recall, they turned an old grocery store into "Sagemont Singles" and also opened up a Christian coffee shop. I think they used the shopping center as additional meeting space for various church groups.

Like I said, I quit going shortly after they opened up the 10 million seat arena back in the early or mid-80's. That was just before they bought the grocery store and drug store and shopping center.

I also know that back when I was going it was still Sagemont BAPTIST Church...I notice they've dropped the "Baptist" out of the name.

• 9 months later...

Has anyone noticed another HUMONGOUS cross on St. Luke's Hospital (downtown)? It is like huge and plastered on the side of their building that abuts the Pierce Elevated.

It's actually St. Joseph, but yep, most of us HAIFers know about it.

Edited by JLWM8609

• The title was changed to Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.